very strange water loss probs NOW WITH PRICES advice peeps

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
well ive just been playing with it again and once engine was warm i removed the expansion tank cap at first it was fine then it was like super powered spa bath bulbing away and pooring water all over the the top of the tank.... is this right for it to do this ? :confused:

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
I dont know if this can be done on the LCR rad, I havn't looked where it sits or anything, but on my old 106 gti I was told you can cut the top off a 2litre bottle and use it as a funnel, tape it in place in the rad filler cap fill half up with water then can run the engine, any air should rise out the system and bubble in the funnel.

I dont know if this could help just wanted to post incase it might.

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
but if it was HG probs wouldnt i have mayo on oil cap ?

Not all the time, it all depends which part of the gasket is away. The seal between the water channel and combustion chamber could be leaking and letting water into to cumbustion chamber(water loss) and vice versa( pressure escaping to water channel which could explain the super powered spa bubbles).
It's not definite but possible, you would need to get it pressure tested.
Is there any steam/white smoke coming from the exhaust?

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
no steam or white smoke and it drives perfect. last 2 days done 360 miles used 6 lts of water but still runs like a dream and doing 44mpg...

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
no steam or white smoke and it drives perfect. last 2 days done 360 miles used 6 lts of water but still runs like a dream and doing 44mpg...

White smoke would have clarified water getting in to the combustion chamber.
Well i'm stumped for anymore suggestions.:shrug:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
ive spent ages looking all round engine/pipes and under car no signs of water anywhere. the steam i saw yesturday was coming from the overflow on the expansion tank. fans kick in when they should do. oil still clean.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup, it's alot of water but where else is it going?
The under floor fire proofing is VERY thick and could easily soak up a few litres of water without knowing.

Last edited:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
right ive just got a new expansion bottle which i will fit tomorrow. but where the hell is the matrix ??? i have removed the glovebox but still cant find it... i need to try and sort it by monday as im going away for the week...

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Just a case of tracing the coolant pipe work from the engine bay and see where it goes through the fire wall.
As you can guess, I don't know either, lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.