very strange water loss probs NOW WITH PRICES advice peeps

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
sounds like im wasting my time by removing the glovebox then ? all i want to do is check to see if its leaking. if i was to use rad weld would that stop the leak if it was on the matrix ??

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
carpets are bone dry. no white smoke, no water leaks to what i can see, temp gauge stays at 90, fans kick in as they should do. going to cost £30+ to do a presure test.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
i have just done a full drain, replaced the expansion bottle refilled the bottle run the engine for 20 mins till on 90 and fans kicked in but the hose from the thermo housing to the bottom of the rad is cold !!!!!! and top hose from rad is red hot and hard..... when i filled the bottle the level once i started the engine didnt drop. why would the hose be cold and the level not drop ?? :confused:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
just been out for a 5 mile drive got back and steam was pooring from the expansion bottle and the water was boiling away.... temp gauge was at 90... if the thermo failed to open would that cause this prob ?? i now think that my water loss is due to it steaming/boiling away.... hose from thermo housing to bottom of rad is luke warm

if the rad cap is pissing out steam then rest of the coolant system should theoretically be hot to touch if it is not then sounds like the thermostat is shut closed and the system is presurising itself too much. thermostats are pretty cheap worth a shot in replacing it.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
removed the thermostat put it into a bowl of hot water and it stayed SHUT. so tested a spare one i had in the garage and it worked fine so put that in now. left engine running for 30 mins all pipes very hot excect for the same bloody hose from thermo housing to bottom of rad ?? also now i have noticed that the fans dont kick in but the temp gauge says 90 all the time. if the bottom hose is cold all the time then im thinking that may be there is no water in the rad ?? :confused:

the thermostat need "boiling water" in an outside test. in a closed system water will boil at a lower temp. Thermostats usually have a temp on the outside of them when they operate, usually about 87c for most VAG cars afaik. fans only kick in when temp rises above the normal temps usually about 95c or so. maybe worth replacing the temp sensors as well, just in case one of them is failing.

you can get air blockages in the coolant system, you need to allow the temp to get to normal 90c then start squeezing the top and bottom rad pipes. you will feel the water within the pipes then it will be ok. if the thermostat is now working then water pressure should release any air blockages, just keep an eye on the water level in the header tank.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
That bottom hose will be cooler as the water is cooled through the rad then it enters the block (via the thermostat)

Sounds like it is sorted.

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
after leaving the engine running for 30/40 mins then going back out to check water level after it had cooled a little checked level and it had taken about 1/2 to 3/4 ltr so toped it up just been out for a 5 mile drive again got back checked expansion bottle like last time and no steam or boiling away :funk: so in about 1hr i will go out and check level again... but im hoping that it was just a fooked thermostat. will update again later and thanks guys for all the replys :clap:

meltonlad

Mar 21, 2009
huntingdon
just got back from having a drive round done about 10 miles got back just checked water level and its dropped a little bit but im thinking that that might be due to it being drained TWICE and just needs to settle abit. but it aint steaming or boiling no more. ive got a 150 mile trip to do monday so i will know then if its stopped using water.... again thanks for all the help peeps