VW massaging emission figures

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
I'm now confused. Entered my VIN number on the Seat website and got a reassuring message to say that my car wasn't affected however I've just had a letter from Seat to say that it will need "Service Action" to correct the problem.

Anybody else had contradictory information like this.

2012 Build 143 SE Tech ST

I've seen many people saying their car is/isn't affected with the VIN number thing, the thing is all seem to have the same engines (140/170 tdi) so I'm pretty certain they all have the "problem"...

MunkyExeo

Aug 24, 2015
Bournemouth!
I've seen many people saying their car is/isn't affected with the VIN number thing, the thing is all seem to have the same engines (140/170 tdi) so I'm pretty certain they all have the "problem"...

Didn't they have a newer diesel lump in them at some point that isn't affected. I could be totally wrong but could explain why some are yes and others no...

I on the other hand am affected according to the site :cry:

Jimrod

Oct 10, 2014
Didn't they have a newer diesel lump in them at some point that isn't affected. I could be totally wrong but could explain why some are yes and others no...

I on the other hand am affected according to the site :cry:

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant - as long as it's the same version of engine (143 or 170bhp) then it'll be affected. The older PD ones weren't but as far as I can remember all the CR ones are. Lost track a bit chatting on Skoda forums too now... :D

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
Got my letter today from SEAT HQ in MK. To cut it short 5 paragraphs of reassuring milk and motherhood statements about my "affected" vehicle including the line:

"Technical solutions are currently being developed and the matter is being worked upon with the utmost priority."

Sounds to me like they have not got a solution at this moment in time, and they are buying time till they have got one ?

Last edited:

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
Got my letter today from SEAT HQ in MK. To cut it short 5 paragraphs of reassuring milk and motherhood statements about my "affected" vehicle including the line:

"Technical solutions are currently being developed and the matter is being worked upon with the utmost priority."

Sounds to me like they have not got a solution at this moment in time, and they are buying time till they have got one ?

I got my letter through today too. To be fair though I would be happier to wait and let them take their time to come with a proper solution than push for a quick reflex response that might end up causing further issues.

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
I have received exactly same letter! To be fair I am not particularly interested in participating in this service action once it's ready to launch. I am not company car driver and the car is remapped. It doesnt have a box as it is custom tweaked and I am afraid I could potentially lose the recent setting. My car is MY2011 Exeo cr170. Do you think it would be mandatory to participate?

Last edited:

cbates1990

May 3, 2010
Received my letter today too, I'll be letting seat do whatever they need to do fix the issue, what happens in the future if something completely goes wrong and you haven't had the work done? Also UK members what would happen with the MOT testing? Do garages have the right to refuse to pass any car that cannot prove it's had the appropriate changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
I have received exactly same letter! To be fair I am not particularly interested in participating in this service action once it's ready to launch. I am not company car driver and the car is remapped. It doesnt have a box as it is custom tweaked and I am afraid I could potentially lose the recent setting. My car is MY2011 Exeo cr170. Do you think it would be mandatory to participate?

Might want to check your insurance terms, I wonder if they say anything about vehicle recalls?

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
I arrived home yesterday evening and a letter from SEAT UK was lying on the door mat. It informed me that my car is one of those affected, as I already knew.

I still maintain that they will not 'detune' our vehicles, it would cause such a furore, it would make the initial scandal seem like a whispering contest in a football stadium. It makes no sense whatsoever to detune our vehicles in order to meet a NOx emission standard required in the US.

The same would apply to them screwing up our fuel consumption figures.

No, I am absolutely convinced that the only fix that makes any sense whatsoever is to disable, or remove entirely, the offending code in our ECU's.

Last edited:

dudec

Jul 22, 2014
Got my letter yesterday, not too many Seat garages in NI so its not going to be handy for me. Remap can wait till this is sorted out

All VW letters must have went out, few people in work received theirs for Golf and A6

cmgreen

Jan 31, 2006
It will probably be a case of a simple code up load to re work the NOX emissions

But, in the mean time we are loosing value on our cars! To me that's more important than the fix...

kblackburn

Aug 15, 2012
holme/cumbria
Well I checked my car, when their web site live with the information and it came back as not affected.
Today I have a letter from Seat saying the car is affected, so just rang them to find out why they have changed their minds, to be told they had issues with the web site, so not only can they fudge the car software, they can fudge it on the web site.:confused::wtf:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.