VZ3 Brake pads

ChrisGerr

Feb 6, 2022
Hello,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding brake pad replacement if anyone has done their VZ3:

1. Are the front Brembo calibers 'compression', 'wind in' or ECU controlled?
  2. Same question for the rear non-Brembo calipers
  3. Are there any decent alternatives to the OEM rears and (i'm assuming) Brembo 'OEM' fronts
Thanks in advance

Chris

Reactions: slapheed

VEDI

May 14, 2023
DBA pads are highly rated. For the Brembo calipers it would be part DB2228SP (Street) or DB2228XP (Xtreme).

Zimmermann also have a good reputation.

If your usual online shop doesn't have the Cupra Brembo option in the parts finder, they are the same front brakes as the Audi TTRS 8J.

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
I'm running the Low Dust Zimmermann's for the Brembo calipers (Zimmermann part no. 24098.970.1); not convinced with them on high speed hard braking; maybe because they are low dust - dust level on the rims is very low. Maybe I should have bought the normal pads (part no. 24098.170.1).

Next pads will be DBA and planning on getting DBA's rotors DBA52842SLVS - 5000 series - T3. Does anyone have any experience with these rotors?

Reactions: ChrisGerr

slapheed

Jun 25, 2022
Having my front Brembo pads changed this morning. The guy looked into it and said that He was having issues finding the like parts for the rear ones as they seem to be supplied only by the dealer? Luckily the rear ones are ok for now and don't need replacing yet.

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
Please provide the guy who was having issue finding the correct parts the following:

Rear brake pads VZ3OEM No.: 5WA698451F
Product #s:
Zimmermann26206.160.2
PAGIDT2903
GalferB1.G120-1801.2
ATE13.0460-7355.2
Textar2620601

Or any other brake pad which corresponds to OEM No.: 5WA698451F (assuming VZ3)

Reactions: slapheed

ChrisGerr

Feb 6, 2022
Hello,

Quick update from my original post after fitting new pads all round today (bl**dy cold on the hands!!)

• Factory fitted front pads were Pagid not Brembo and rear pads were ATE.
  • Went for Brembo pads all round (P85 110 - for front - £65 and P85 184 for rear - £58)
  • Brake pad wear sensor (OEM P/N 8J0615437) is £58 from the dealer so went with Bosch instead (P/N BOSCH - OE-AP862) much better at £10.24.
  • Front pads were quite straight forward to fit and only one wear sensor fitted to UK drivers side / RHS. No 'special tools' needed, just remember to open the expansion tank lid before compressing calipers using a compression tool (I covered it with a rag to protect the nice shiny bronze paint :)).

Now for the more interesting part of my day - the rear calipers......
  • Firstly you need to make sure the gearbox is in park but the 'E-brake' is not engaged and the ignition off.
  • Next remove the retaining spring, gentle tap out pins and then unbolt the two retaining Allen key bolts - its a bit tight on the top bolt if you use a standard size 1/2" socket around the flexible hydraulic hose - ideal if you have a 1/4" socket.
  • Next the caliper and old pads can be removed - make sure you don't let the caliper hang by its hose
  • If you don't have the OBD tool / software to put the handbrake in service mode / fully retract the caliper (I don't) then the following work around worked for me.
  • There are two small Allen key bolt securing the gear assembly which can be removed then carefully separate the top section - its plastic and there is a spindle within so take your time and make sure you pull apart straight - gently place the cover to one side (wiring plug still attached).
  • You then turn the exposed spindle CLOCKWISE until it stops and gently put the cover back on
  • Then using a brake winding caliper tool, the piston can be wound back in to allow new pads to be fitted.
  • Just be careful with the caliper tool as none of my 24 piece tools fitted - in the end i had to lightly file the inside face of the larger 'European' fitting (lug to lug is about 30mm whereas the standard two pin is about 28mm) - after this no drama
  • Fitting is just a reverse of the disassembly - again gently pump the brake pedal after each side is complete - make sure you screw the reservoir cap back on!
  • Might be worth taking a picture before you start to show spring orientation etc.
Once you are all done I started the engine and after a few more pumps of the brake pedal I engaged the parking brake - after the whirring noise the car reported a hand brake issue / report to workshop message...waited a couple of seconds, released the E-brake and re-engaged it again but no warnings this time. Been for a short drive and no issues, squeaks, rattles or signs of binding and no issues with hill start E-brake.

Certainly saved quite a lot of money doing it myself and know care and attention had been done fitting them.

Hope this helps

Chris

Last edited:

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to give us such detailed advice, hope your hands have warmed up now. 🙊

Sanjuricus

Oct 9, 2021
Been quoted £750 by the dealer to do this. They wanted to charge me nearly £3.5k to do the disks as well, shut them down on that score! Had to "order the parts in specially because it's a performance part" which made me laugh a little. I'm not at all mechanically minded but I know when I'm being fleeced! What would you say is a reasonable ballpark amount for a local garage to do this for me given the parts only cost ~£50 (Dealer said £300!)?

slapheed

Jun 25, 2022
My guy changed my front brembo pads for £85 all in. even came and collected my car and returned it at the end of the day. I wouldn't want to even think what cupra would charge. I seem to recall the guy saying they would want about 1k to change them all.

ChrisGerr

Feb 6, 2022
Been quoted £750 by the dealer to do this. They wanted to charge me nearly £3.5k to do the disks as well, shut them down on that score! Had to "order the parts in specially because it's a performance part" which made me laugh a little. I'm not at all mechanically minded but I know when I'm being fleeced! What would you say is a reasonable ballpark amount for a local garage to do this for me given the parts only cost ~£50 (Dealer said £300!)?
Find a new dealer!

In fairness the front discs aren't cheap for the VZ3 (minimum £295) and can be as much as £1400 for 'racing' ones. Rears are much cheaper @ around £55 for slotted and £76 for slotted/drilled.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Chris

Mar 25, 2024
Hello,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding brake pad replacement if anyone has done their VZ3:

1. Are the front Brembo calibers 'compression', 'wind in' or ECU controlled?
  2. Same question for the rear non-Brembo calipers
  3. Are there any decent alternatives to the OEM rears and (i'm assuming) Brembo 'OEM' fronts
Thanks in advance

Chris
Hi all,

Just joined the forum.

I’ve just had ebc yellow stuff installed on the front of my vz3, however the pads didn’t come with sensors

I’ve searched for the correct part online and get quite a few hits of different brands from brembo to ridex at various prices.

Presumably any of these sensors will work/fit?

any advice appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0293.png
    IMG_0293.png
    373.1 KB · Views: 27
Mar 25, 2024
Hi all,

Just joined the forum.

I’ve just had ebc yellow stuff installed on the front of my vz3, however the pads didn’t come with sensors

I’ve searched for the correct part online and get quite a few hits of different brands from brembo to ridex at various prices.

Presumably any of these sensors will work/fit?

any advice appreciated.

thanks
I managed to get the part number for the brembo sensor from my local garage.
£60 from Cupra, £11 from a parts distributor

if anyone needs it the part number is 8J0615437

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.