Want to use a USB VAG-COM cable with Lemmiwinks / Custom-Settings?......

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
Actually, looking at the PID in the drivers which come with the Virtual Com Port drivers from Ross-Tech its already set to FA20 so maybe try using their drivers and follow the setup procedure from the AudiWorld link above.

To install the drivers, simply do the following:

Extract the zip to an easy to find location.

Right click My Computer, select Properties.

Click on the Hardware tab.

Click the Device Manager button.

Locate the Universal Serial Bus controllers item in the list, and expand it.

Locate the Ross-Tech KEY-USB item, and right click, select Properties.

Click on the driver tab, and hit Update Driver.

Windows will ask if you want to search Windows Update... Click on "No, not this time" and hit Next.

Click "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and hit Next.

Click "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." And hit Next.

Leave "Show All Devices" selected and hit Next.

Your computer will probably take a while to populate this list. Be patient, it hasn't crashed.

You will see a list of every possible device to install. Ignore this, and click on the "Have Disk" button.

Locate the driver files you extracted earlier. Click on the "FTDIBUS.inf" file and hit Open. Click OK. You will now see a window that shows "USB Serial Converter" as the compatible hardware. Hit Next. Hit "Continue Anyway" when the warning about unsigned drivers shows up.

Click finish. You're almost done!

You should see a new window pop up that says more hardware was found ("USB Serial Port")

Windows will ask if you want to search Windows Update... Click on "No, not this time" and hit Next.

Click "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and hit Next.

Click "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." And hit Next.

Leave "Show All Devices" selected and hit Next.

Your computer will probably take a while to populate this list. Be patient, it hasn't crashed.

You will see a list of every possible device to install. Ignore this, and click on the "Have Disk" button.

Locate the driver files you extracted earlier. Click on the "FTDIPORT.inf" file and hit Open. Click OK. You will now see a window that shows "USB Serial Port" as the compatible hardware. Hit Next. Hit "Continue Anyway" when the warning about unsigned drivers shows up.

Click Finish.

Go back to the Device Manager, and expand the Ports item. You should see "USB Serial Port (COM11) (It might be a different com port number).

This next step is important. Lemmiwinks only works up to COM8. If your machine is like mine, and assigned some obscure port number, you need to change it. Right click on the port and hit Properties. Click the Port Settings tab, and hit Advanced. Change the Com Port Number dropdown to something in the range of COM1-COM8. Click OK, and OK again.

Fire up Lemmiwinks, set the correct port, and begin tweaking! Also note that you don't need to install a different driver for the VAG-COM. VAG-COM will work in parallel with Lemmiwinks as far as I can see.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I cant get my serial typed cable to work with CC settings.

I may give this a try and buy a USB typed cable.

GaryM

Golf GTI 1.8T 180
Feb 11, 2004
Nr Manchester
I'm not sure if this would work with a third party USB cable, mines a genuine one.
Hopefully somebody will give it a go and let us know?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members