Water leak in boot - NOT the usual rear washer problem

adrianmorris

May 17, 2004
Hi,

Has anyone else had the following water leak. Have searched but can't find reference to it (amongst the hundreds of references to the rear washer line leak).

I've got water collecting in the offside rear of the boot. Have taken the trim off and it's collecting in a cavity below the black plastic wing vent panel (don't know the proper name for this). It's a 10cm square plastic panel with a grid of small plastic flaps in it which preseumably vents air out of the cabin. It's underneath the bumper on the offside rear wing.

This could be the culprit, or possibly it could be the seal around the rear lights. However I sprayed all around with a hose this weekend and couldn't replicate the leak. Perhaps it only happens when driving with water thrown up by the tyres?

Does anyone else out there recognise the symptoms (before I waste time taking unecessary bits apart). Someone must have had the same problem.

Car is a LCR btw.

Thanks,
Adrian.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
So the rear washer is working at full chat?

Yes I have had those vents leak before, need to take the bumper off really and seal to the body.

yep... I get the wet boot at the moment although it's the nearside. Water seems to end up on top of whatever is in the boot which implies it's dripping from somewhere high.... (although the parcel shelf is dry) My money is on either leaking through the lights somehow, or through the top of the hatch...nice job for Xmas! :censored:

Riyuko

Sorry to revie this thread but im having the same problem, there is the smallest amount of water collecting offside rear of the boot under the carpet have had a look and cant see anywhere that is cause this.. and its not the rear wiper this works perfectly its a '02' plate cupra if that has any help

any ideas guys thanks in advance and i apologies for my stupidity if i am being as im new to leon

adrianmorris

May 17, 2004
I'm further reviving this thread as I still have this leak. I can't replicate it by hosing down the car in all likely areas. I think I've eliminated the following.

-Rear washer - works fine and leak is in wrong place, i.e. not the nearside or in tailgate (and occurs when the washer isn't used)
-Leak around lights - have hosed down and inside remains dry
-Leak from fuel flap and/or the associated overflow pipe which I've cleaned out
-That it only happens while driving - the offside rear corner filled up overngith recently.

It could still be the cabin vent. Have tried sealing it from the inside but I can't see how it would let water in with the car stationery. Really need to take the bumper off to seal it properly but would like to confirm this is the problem before goign to these lengths.

Equally ic could be from somewhere I've not looked at (e.g. tailgate hinges). Has anyone else had a similar problem resolved in the past by a dealer? I'm getting really bored with having to keep the boot trim off.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Last edited:

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
i'm having exactly the same problem. it's not the rear washer and no matter what i try i just cant replicate the leak. I'll come back a couple of days later tho to find it full of water. Would be nice to sort it out and put my boot trim back on

adrianmorris

May 17, 2004
Well there's at least two of us then.

It's hard to believe that no-one else out there has had the same issue and knows what the resolution is.

If I get it sorted in the meantime I'll post here (although it's been so dry that it hasn't happened for months). Maybe in the Autumn

Adrian.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Well there's at least two of us then.

It's hard to believe that no-one else out there has had the same issue and knows what the resolution is.

If I get it sorted in the meantime I'll post here (although it's been so dry that it hasn't happened for months). Maybe in the Autumn

Adrian.

you've had no rain??? U must be lucky, it's be hammering it down for the last 2 days where i live which hasnt helped at all. It's the damp smell that's starting to get very annoying!

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
quick update, spent about 2 hours at the weekend playing around with a watering can trying to find the leak. i was pouring water down the side of the boot seal from near the boot hinge on the passenger side, i did this with the boot closed and open. I checked inside the car and managed to find that a small amount of water was coming into the car from high above the wheel arch and running down the metal frame and then over the wheel arch.

Problem is that there's no way u can look around this area to see where exactly the leak is coming from. After searching around the outside to try and find somewhere it could possibly be coming from i was none the wiser. Only thing that i could think was that the boot seal was leaking somewhere although i couldnt see anywhere obvious.

I got some silicone sealant and applied a small amount at the lower half of the boot seal at the top and down the passenger side of the boot.

After a lot of rain last night.........................the boot was still full of water!! Starting to run out of ideas now. This leak must be coming from somewhere!!!

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
quick update, spent about 2 hours at the weekend playing around with a watering can trying to find the leak. i was pouring water down the side of the boot seal from near the boot hinge on the passenger side, i did this with the boot closed and open. I checked inside the car and managed to find that a small amount of water was coming into the car from high above the wheel arch and running down the metal frame and then over the wheel arch.

Problem is that there's no way u can look around this area to see where exactly the leak is coming from. After searching around the outside to try and find somewhere it could possibly be coming from i was none the wiser. Only thing that i could think was that the boot seal was leaking somewhere although i couldnt see anywhere obvious.

I got some silicone sealant and applied a small amount at the lower half of the boot seal at the top and down the passenger side of the boot.

After a lot of rain last night.........................the boot was still full of water!! Starting to run out of ideas now. This leak must be coming from somewhere!!!

im having the same issues, just noticed this morning, its running from behind the rear parcel shelf support drivers side,

my next plan of action is to look at the roof rack strips, supposably theres rubber grommets that perish over time, and its runnig down the back of the c pillar

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
just reading up on anything i can find and i've read that the problem might be coming from the boot hinge. Someone mentioned that the cover might need replacing. what's the hinge cover??? pretty sure i havent got one on mine. any one have this?

Also, that the boot hinge might need resealing. Any body know what you'd go about doing this?

Cheers

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise