Water leak in boot - NOT the usual rear washer problem

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Well I didnt need to check, when I dropped the headlining I could clearly see it dripping from the base of the aerial. It was when we had non stop rain for several weeks and the leaks were driving me crazy.

I just replaced the seal and used silicone sealant around the base afterwards.

To replace the seal, you just have to unscrew the aerial base from the inside, then prise the base away from the seal and body after disconnecting the coax cable.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Well I didnt need to check, when I dropped the headlining I could clearly see it dripping from the base of the aerial. It was when we had non stop rain for several weeks and the leaks were driving me crazy.

I just replaced the seal and used silicone sealant around the base afterwards.

To replace the seal, you just have to unscrew the aerial base from the inside, then prise the base away from the seal and body after disconnecting the coax cable.

Did you check the aerial gubbings?
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277875&highlight=radio+signal

sicupra38

hi just spent the day with the same prob, water getting in the boot, checked the roof rail took it off there are no holes or grommits in the recess on my 04 cupra so def not from there, brought some captain tolleys creeping crack cure, water based sealant, that used in the boating industry, no need to take anything off, just run it over the area an it will find the leaks and seal it, have used it on the joint where the boot support strut fixes, and around the plastic gromitts where the door hinge is,read all the threads about this on here, im just as baffled as any one else. not the rear wash as that was ok, sealed the light fixing too, only thing i havent tried is the vent in that corner, finally hopefully sealed my car door seals, be glad to get my soundproofing back in the car and trim back in,

sicupra38

hi that captain tolleys sealant didnt work, think its only good for hairline cracks, had alot of rian today and the leak is still there, tho, the water is now milky coloured, so the only place i used that was around the plastic cover where the boot hinge is, so will take that off and pump it with silicone sealant, has any body taken that off, ?

sicupra38

might have a look at that, sounds good, better than the stuff i got, do you know anyone on here that has taken the plastic housing off around the boot hinge?

sicupra38

very true, had my car since 2008, last nov was when everthing started leaking, all 4 door panels leaked, there fixed now , still got to put the soundproofing in yet tho, just want to be sure before i did that, be glad to get all the trim back to, car looks a mess without that,have you had any luck with curing yours

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
I had a leaking door panel and I fixed that, had a leak coming in under the dash on the drivers side but I had my windscreen replaced and it seems to have cured it. The only other leak I have is the one in the boot, just waiting on my water weld to come so I can get it fixed. I tried to seal it with silicone but the weather isnt good enough for it to work properly

sicupra38

seen threads on here that maybe it could be the seal around the roof aerial

sicupra38

mine is def from high up, can see, a water trail down the wheel arch, took the plastic trim off around the boot hinge today, bloody plastic fittings snapped as i pulled it off, why they needed to put it on in the first place i dont know, nothing there apart from to holes, where the fixings pushed in, squeezed loads of silicone in the holes and pushed to 1p coins into the stuff, as a temp fix, bit heath robinson i know but that silcone a got is good stuff even if it does stink, work in the wet to,

sicupra38

spent the weekend still trying to source of my leaking boot, def not from the aerial had the roof lining down and checked that no sign of a leak there, sprayed around the boot hinge recess either where the hinge bolts to the car or a dodgy seal around the rubber housing or a crack in the welding in that area,

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
I ended up leaving the car into a bodyshop to fix so didnt get to use the water weld on it. Ive used it on a couple of other things around the house though and it seals very well. The problem was a pinhole in one of the welds where the sealant hadnt been put on properly behind the bumper, the bodyman missed it the first time he had it but got it sorted at the second attempt. That was a week ago and ive had no leaks since. Best £50 ive ever spent!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise