Water leak- passenger side

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
Hello everyone.

I have a problem with my 2018 Leon FR. About three weeks ago I've noticed, that carpet at the front passenger side is wet (LHD car). I have removed all the carpeting from that side and noticesz that the matherial under the carpet and lower part of the foam is soaking wet. I have dried it, and after 3 weeks it has come back.
I checked all places known to me where some water can go into the car (windscreen, door panel, a/c drain tube), but I haven't found anything.
I have marked the spot, where water gathers. Has someone had this kind of leak?

Thanks in advance.
20220106_173132-jpg.29150

20220106_173154.jpg

Attachments

• 20220106_173132.jpg
    20220106_173132.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 4,395
  • 20220106_173154.jpg
    20220106_173154.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 894
  • 20220106_173154.jpg
    20220106_173154.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 206

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I had a similar problem on an Octavia MQB platform car with a missing spot weld in the bulkhead/front scuttle area.

More info here:

As you are probably aware, the water is collecting at the lowest point, not necessarily at the point of the leak.

Your leak is on the side of the A/C drain, so is the first place to look; but faulty door seals and blocked sunroof drainage channels are also common. On the link above there is an additional link to the ‘Water Ingress’ workshop manual in the reference material at the top of this forum.

Reactions: Equalizer

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
A/C drain is dry (after I dried the car for the first time, I haven't used my a/c) and I don't have a sunroof. The part of the foam that is above wet area is perfectly dry, so I don't think also that water comes from some higher point.
Missing weld is a serious problem... :/

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Have you tried the drains on the wiper scuttle, leaves and **** get in block it then it finds its way into thw cabin

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
Everything is clear. Those were one of the first spots I've checked.
Is it possible for water to leak through one of these holes?
20220106_190839.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
A fairly common source of water ingress on the equivalent VW (mk7 Golf) was the failure of the door speaker seals. If this happens, then instead of water on the car’s side windows draining through the drain holes in the bottom of the door, some can find its way past the door speaker seal onto the plastic trim covering the sill and it then runs into the footwell in the car.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
A fairly common source of water ingress on the equivalent VW (mk7 Golf) was the failure of the door speaker seals. If this happens, then instead of water on the car’s side windows draining through the drain holes in the bottom of the door, some can find its way past the door speaker seal onto the plastic trim covering the sill and it then runs into the footwell in the car.
Agree, if the bulkhead foam is dry then you should rule out an upper bulkhead leak and concentrate on door pad/seals inc door seal. Close the door whilst carpet is stripped and have someone use a hose on the door area see if you can see where its coming from.

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
Since yesterday I drive with partially removed carpet to see where the water comes from. Today after heavy rain the floor was wet. Water gaddered mostly around the floor drain plug and alongside the bend, where floor changes direction from horizontal to vertical under the dashboard. Also I put a finger into one of the technical holes (marked on the photo below) and I felt that there was some water too.
20220107_151755.jpg

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
I have sprayed my car with a water hose, and I found a leaking point. Water comes from a small hole between two sheets of metal. It is at the same height as an inner part of door wiring connector. It gets somewhere from plenum chamber draining pipe. When I put my garden hose there, I can see drops of water comming out from this joint of two metal plates. Do you know how to seal it?
20220107_172033.jpg

Last edited:

mealexme

Jun 10, 2019
I know I'm bringing up a post from a year ago, but did you ever find the cause of this? Because I'm having an issue in the same place

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
I know I'm bringing up a post from a year ago, but did you ever find the cause of this? Because I'm having an issue in the same place
Hello.

I haven't fix it yet (I wait for my vacation :) ), but I think I know where the water leaks in. I believe there is some small hole in the marked area on the picture below. I will have to remove right wing to reach there. I saw some dirt inside through those two holes. I have also bought an ultrasonic leak detector from aliexpress and it is very helpful (Allsun EM282).

Attachments

• Possible water ingress area.jpeg
    Possible water ingress area.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 312

mealexme

Jun 10, 2019
Hello.

I haven't fix it yet (I wait for my vacation :) ), but I think I know where the water leaks in. I believe there is some small hole in the marked area on the picture below. I will have to remove right wing to reach there. I saw some dirt inside through those two holes. I have also bought an ultrasonic leak detector from aliexpress and it is very helpful (Allsun EM282).
Nice one, thanks. It doesn't look like an easy fix then.
I'll book mine into the garage on Monday, because I've already spent way more time than I'd like to admit looking for this leak.
I'll let you know the outcome if they find it.

Leonardo

Nov 29, 2022
I have the same issue, only seems to be noticeable after prolonged rain (as tracks under the carpet underlay), pretty sure it has been like this since new as the car generally smells and I have more condensation than other cars and under the front seat there is a small rectangle cut out in the carpet where I can feel the underlay is damp. Dealer couldn’t find any issue. Originally assumed it was the door card and thought I had fixed it but greeted by damp front and rear foot wells (and carpet) again, leaking from the same point as yours, tried sealing it with silicone however the water seems to track behind and leak further down.

Took seat
(remember to disconnect battery for airbag) and carpet out and spent most of the day water testing hose on the side scuttle drains and windscreen no water ingress, then it started to rain, came back ½ an hour later and water had come in at the same point as yours. Noticed that water channels down the outer door seal and down the pillar and on to the hinge bracket. Poured water on the bracket and I could feel the water coming through the acoustic sponge on the inside at the same place (near where the rust is).

PXL_20230108_160001882 - Copy.jpg

I have smeared silicone around the bracket so hopefully should stop it getting through, probably should have a rubber seal/washer between the hinge and the panel, haven’t put my carpets back in yet as not 100% sure it is fixed, will let you know either way, fingers crossed.

PXL_20230108_162127880 - Copy.jpg

I have also noticed the plastic cover under the rear seat by the rear door is slightly damp after heavy rain, as if water is getting through under the door seal and over the plastic on to the rear footwell, another possible point of ingress, although not the main one for me, might be an issue for others.

PXL_20230106_085238822 - Copy.jpg

mealexme

Jun 10, 2019
Hmmm, I didnt specifically test that bit, I'll try and have a look this week. Thanks for potentially saving me a very expensive dealership trip!

Equalizer

Dec 12, 2013
Poland
It might be but I don't think that hinge is the ingres point. Between the hinge mounting place and the visible leaking spot there is a distance (marked as yellow) and if water would get inside through there it would pour as the blue arrow indicates (between two sheets of metal and into the threshold). My guess is that water goes along the red arrow.

Attachments

• Bez tytułu.jpg
    Bez tytułu.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 272

Leonardo

Nov 29, 2022
Initial results seem positive, it rained heavily overnight and couldn’t see any water ingress this morning. Water seems to pond outside on top of the door bracket now. Fingers still crossed.
PXL_20230109_084538195 - Copy.jpg

Where the hinge bracket is fixed to the chassis there is an angle/box shaped bit of metal that bridges to the inside, water seems to cross this and through the gap in the welding. When I blocked up the gap it then tracks down and comes in through the holes the cill trim is fixed to and at the bottom into the foot well (before pictures attached for reference).
PXL_20221228_143553584 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20221231_091559691 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20221231_093043291 - Copy.jpg

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
Really hope this is the solution for you mate, I'm going to have a look at sealing both mine in hope it stops my water pooling in driver's footwell 🤞🤞🤞

Leonardo

Nov 29, 2022
Really heavy rain overnight, checked this morning and leak still there :mad:, not sure if less water than before and could be my bad sealing (difficult to get to the back of the bracket) or if its coming somewhere else up the front as Equalizer has suggested.

Might try some dye tracing when it stops raining.

Reactions: Wilto
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members