Water leak....

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
My Ibiza has an indoor swimming pool in the rear passenger footwell only - a fairly decent leak at that too. Done nothing to the car recently the affect that and only noticed in the last few days....

Ideas?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Plus i NEVER use my rear wash cos it covers the back end and makes it all dirty - would it still leak even if I didn't use it?

I'm off to go hair dry the carpet for a few hours now..... :(

Rawsharc

I had this problem about the same time last year. After a couple of days and multiple tests the garage found that water was running down the windscreen, draining as it should through the little hole at the end of the strip of plastic attached to the bottom of the screen and onto a loose gromit under said plastic piece.

The gromit covers a hole that goes through from the area under the windscreen, through the firewall to behind the ?glovebox? somewhere. Being the lowest part of the car the water all collects in the rear footwell(s).

The garage replaced the gromit and stickaflexxed it!!! I also put another small hole in the plastic piece about 1cm inside the existing one so the water doesnt drain directly onto/near the gromit. So far its fixed the problem so the car is nice and dry (touchwood)!!

Sorry if it doesnt really make sense but i have a cold!!!!:ban:

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
My Ibiza has an indoor swimming pool in the rear passenger footwell only - a fairly decent leak at that too. Done nothing to the car recently the affect that and only noticed in the last few days....

Ideas?

:shrug: Dunno.Last time i had a problem like that,was with my old Mk2 Golf GTI.It needed a new door' skin'.I presume that's just like a seal,never bothered to ask the garage!.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
I had this problem about the same time last year. After a couple of days and multiple tests the garage found that water was running down the windscreen, draining as it should through the little hole at the end of the strip of plastic attached to the bottom of the screen and onto a loose gromit under said plastic piece.

The gromit covers a hole that goes through from the area under the windscreen, through the firewall to behind the ?glovebox? somewhere. Being the lowest part of the car the water all collects in the rear footwell(s).

The garage replaced the gromit and stickaflexxed it!!! I also put another small hole in the plastic piece about 1cm inside the existing one so the water doesnt drain directly onto/near the gromit. So far its fixed the problem so the car is nice and dry (touchwood)!!

Sorry if it doesnt really make sense but i have a cold!!!!:ban:

Tbh I've just fitted a boost gauge and ran the pipe through that grommet. I looked today and noticed it wasn't fitted properly.....I've since sorted that. Been drying the carpet LOADS and it's still nothing but dry. But i've left it to soak with some newspaper for the time being and will be back on the job tomorrow.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
As you can see - the problem area:

Photo0100.jpg

You can see the darker carpet that was soaked....

Photo0101.jpg

And where water has obviously been sitting....

Photo0102.jpg

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
is your heating still working, has the car lost coolent????? same thing happened to my dads neon and it was heater matrix

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Dip your finger in the water in the footwell and taste it, if it tastes sweet it is most probably screenwash or maybe coolant. if it tasts like rain water then that's probably what it is

OH and if it tasts like rocket fuel don't fart near a naked flame :lol:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Dip your finger in the water in the footwell and taste it, if it tastes sweet it is most probably screenwash or maybe coolant. if it tasts like rain water then that's probably what it is

OH and if it tasts like rocket fuel don't fart near a naked flame :lol:

Tell you what mate.....must've been the chicken I had for tea but sitting in the back of an Ibiza with a hairdryer on full heat for an hour....it was certainly hot and my arse nearly killed me several times! :lol:

Had to evacuate in the end. :D

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
A quick way to dry the car out is to stick the heaters on full with the A/C and recirc on and then go for a drive - it won't be pleasant but the car will dry quickly!

Most cars you can just leave it sat on the drive, but the PD130 doesn't produce enough heat to run the heaters at full whack at a standstill - I found that out when I left a window open overnight on my FR! :doh:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
A quick way to dry the car out is to stick the heaters on full with the A/C and recirc on and then go for a drive - it won't be pleasant but the car will dry quickly!

Most cars you can just leave it sat on the drive, but the PD130 doesn't produce enough heat to run the heaters at full whack at a standstill - I found that out when I left a window open overnight on my FR! :doh:

I doubt it'll dry it as it is....It's pretty wet....

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The method I described above is very efficient - A/C chucks out very dry air so the air can hold a lot of water (which will be evaporated by the heat) - having recirculation on draws the air straight out of the cabin to be dried again

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
The method I described above is very efficient - A/C chucks out very dry air so the air can hold a lot of water (which will be evaporated by the heat) - having recirculation on draws the air straight out of the cabin to be dried again

I did go for a half hour drive with the air con on, full heat and recirculation on. I was SO hot by the end. Didn't get chance to check the carpet but I'll be doing it on everytrip now to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.