Water temp needle goes to red!!

Imperial_dan

hi,

i need some advice on what the problem on my cupra could be...

Was driving along the other day and all of a sudden the temperature needle shot up into the red and the redlight came on and started beeping.
I thought it was loozing water at first but i couldnt see anything leaking.
I have changed the thermostat which was knackerd but that hasnt solved the problem.
When you start the car and leave it to run for ten minutes, the temp needle will slowly creep up into the red.
Everything sounds and looks ok at the moment and i havent noticed any power loss.
I have been told this could either be the water pump (which i have bought today) or the radiator.
I just havent got alot of money at the moment, and dont really want to spend hundreds having it in a garage.
Does anyone have any ideas please or whether it could just be an electrical sensor that needs replacing.
Any help would be appreciated, my cars dead and im stuck without it!

:confused:

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
ok check your oil cap and make sure there's no creamy stuff in there...check your oil level.

Also above the battery check the fuses and make sure theres not a melted one in there or a blown one.

Do the fans kick in when the car gets hot?

How many miles has the car done? It is possibly the water pump.

Imperial_dan

ok check your oil cap and make sure there's no creamy stuff in there...check your oil level.

Also above the battery check the fuses and make sure theres not a melted one in there or a blown one.

Do the fans kick in when the car gets hot?

How many miles has the car done? It is possibly the water pump.

i havent cheacked them yet to be fair mate, the cars done 80 thousand and the oils fine...

:mad:

its sending me nuts!!

The fans kick in bigtime!!

Imperial_dan

i guarantee you its the water pump. i had the exact same symptoms last week, changed thermostat, seals etc, turned out to be water pump

its a big job though isnt it? having to take the belts off?!!

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Yep if the fans are kicking in then its not a blown fuse. Most likely the waterpump. Most people get it changed along with the cam belt at 60k+

Imperial_dan

Yep if the fans are kicking in then its not a blown fuse. Most likely the waterpump. Most people get it changed along with the cam belt at 60k+

does anyone know roughly how much a garage would charge lol to have the pump fitted?

loveturbopower

Jun 13, 2007
Frome, Somerset
Im nearly 90% sure it would be the water pump as exactly the same thing happened to me, was driving along, shot up to red, started bleeping so pulled over. Left for about 15 mins then went out and within 2 mins it was doing it again, mite aswell do cambelt aswell mate if it does turn out to be water pump. One thing to check if its the water pump is when its in red and bleeping turn engine off, pop the bonnet and see if loads of coolant is being recirculated back into your expansion bottle thats how i noticed.

footlong

Oct 12, 2007
South yorkshire
toothed belt and water pump required.

To check the water pump, do it with the engine running not off or you'll be checking the wrong pump.

Last edited:

trotters

loves turbo :)
Nov 8, 2007
Edinburgh
well the Water pump, new cambelt and tensioner was done at about 70.000 mark...

the receipt is in the books that i gave you with the car?!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.