Water Temp Needle

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
Driving home yesterday - was on the motorway doing about 70 - had to slow down to 50(bloody m1 road works[:@]) and noticed my temp need drop considerably - just above the first quarter mark -

then went up to 70MPH again and went back to 90 degrees

stood in some traffic, it dropped again then went up?

any idea?

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
Driving home yesterday - was on the motorway doing about 70 - had to slow down to 50(bloody m1 road works[:@]) and noticed my temp need drop considerably - just above the first quarter mark -

then went up to 70MPH again and went back to 90 degrees

stood in some traffic, it dropped again then went up?

any idea?

mines does this seems to rise and fall suddenly, sure there is a thread in here about it somethin to do wi the sensor. saying that though got the car diagnosed when i got it serviced and it seems to have fixed it!

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
this is the first time ive noticed it> which sensor you referring to ? coolant temp?

ive put a new one on about 2 weeks ago -

cheers

ooooops, found the thread - if not coolant temp sensor then thermostat

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
i didnt read the guide in the end - all you need to do is wait till the engine is cold - remove the thermostat- you will loose a some coolant - then replace and start car - make sure you leave the cap off the coolant tank whilst the engine is started - once the temp hits 90 - fans should kick in and top up coolant

Daz_Wilko89

MK3 Cupra Owner
Jun 26, 2007
Yarm
Fitted a new thermostat last night and still didnt cure the problem, the temp gauge still sits asthough the engine is off. engine coolant sensor has already been changed aswell.

what else could it be?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.