Wear & Tear or Mechanical - PAS

MK8

My power steering seems to be misfunctioning recently, and I think it needs a new steering pump. I've got warranty on the car (not manufacturers), but within the first 3 months, any wear and tear claim is not covered.

I was just wondering if you guess that this would be classed as W&T, because if it is, the car is still drivable, and I can wait for a month to claim, since I have finished Uni and dont need my car as much.

I would have thought its a mechanical failure myself.. any one think it could be classed as W&T if it is the steering pump?

The problem is the PAS cuts out now and again, and becomes very heavy! I've had this problem for a while, and have replaced the steering rack, and PAS sensor, so the Steering pump is the only thing left that it culd be i guess!

thanks

Big Dub

In my opinion PAS Pumps would not be classed as wear & tear. They are designed to last the life of the car and the driver does not have any real influence on its length of life unless you have massively oversize wheels which would put a strain on the whole steering and suspension system.

Jun 28, 2001
yer the pump is actually electronic (which you probably know) well that located behind the lhf fog lamp or grill normally its down to the connections on the unit that are faulty sealing against the elements and allow water ingress or the angle sensor itself which need to be inspected for water ingress if its found dry it out and cover in vaseline and refit it, after that they are normall o.k.
ive never had to change the whoule unit before its always been down to one of the above

MK8

Well I've actually replaced the PAS sensor with a brand new one, and same goes with the actual steering rack. So im thinking it is just the pump. Glad to hear its as W&T so far!

And my wheels are standard FR ones, and Ive never touched any other component!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Ive changed plenty of the pumps, but im assuming the fluid level is ok as the rack has been changed.

Also be worth checking the battery and alternator are in good order.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.