Weitec Owners, Your Reviews Please!

JamJay

California Bound
Hi all. Up until 2wks ago I was dead set on buying a fixed suspension package from KW but knowing me, i'll hate the way the car looks in 6mths and want to lower it more so I have been looking at coilovers now. I refuse to pay £700 for KW V1's when the same thing exists from Weitec which are the same price rougly as the KW fixed kit (-40mm) and I am lead to believe, the same product as KW V1 but branded different and green. What are these really like? Im talking build quality, stiffness, drivability for a day-to-day car, everything basically, what do you really think?

I was a Jap car owner before VAG and paid a fortune for adjustable damping coilovers and I must say that I needed it. Normal road driving was horrid when it was too stiff and motorway driving was felt quite wallowy (spelling? i.e. boat like on bumps, very bouncy and springy) so I was able to find a perfect setting in the middle. This takes me into KW V2 territory and that is £££ for my FMIC. How do these preset damping coilovers fair in the department?

Pros, cons...go!

Last edited:

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Ive got em and cant fault them for the money, had them on for about 18months now and i think there fine for road use, yes they are stiff and firm, not to everyones taste,but not crashy like standard stuff, however you do feel every little road imperfection though, cats eyes, stones, etc. They are well built though, only thing is the legs are only galved instead of stainless steal, so will corrode eventually.

JamJay

California Bound
Ahh that's where the price difference lies. Hmmm, I never thought about them rotting, I guess because my old ones were galvanised anyway, I assumed they'd all be.

The alternate package I was looking at was the KW fixed drop 50mm front and 40mm rear. I am not even sure if that's stainless or not now come to think of it. Is the corrosion a big deal?

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
No bud not really, like i say, mine have been on 18months and are still good, the paint on the springs hasnt even started to corrode so it must be very good quality, ive sprayed mine with wax oil to help prevent corrosion, but just saying that the kw are stainless so wont ever rust, its one of there selling points, but so far mine look in very good condition, just keep the thread and lock screws lubricated in case you want to adjust ride height at some point. To be fair the galv will deter corrosion to a certain degree but not like stainless will. Apart from that they are the same as kw1 more or less. Im very impressed with the build quality.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I also have these and think they are brilliant. I have done over 10k so far with them on mainly A and B roads; and also a trip to the 'ring and a trackday at snetterton. They have exceeded my expectations in every way; not only is the ride comfort much better than I was expecting; the damping is much better than oem, much less crashy! They are also brilliant on track giving very little body roll even on the limit. The build quality is second to none; and the galvanised finish isn't so bad; a layer of grease or similar will help prevent any corrosion. If your anywhere near loughborough your welcome to come and experience them for yourself :)

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Mine were 12 months old when I got hold of them and were in brillant condition, no sign of corrosion at all. Cleaned up like new.

I think the build quality is superb for the price (when new) and would recomend them to anyone thinking of getting coilovers.

I do find the ride hard on bumpy roads, but find myself looking ahead so I can avoid any nasty pot holes etc. And its fine 90% of the time for normal use. I am going to change the bushes at some point for new rubber, rather than poly in the vain attempt in making it that little bit less harsh. But sayhing that im adding front a rear arb this year so it will only get stiffer lol

I dont think these are as stiff/hard as maybe some of the cheaper alternatives, but so im led to believe all coilovers give a harder ride quality. But you do get the option to go really low or adjust back to standard ride height [B)]

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks for the honest replies :). They sound like a good deal and a good all rounder. I know what you mean about the ride being bumpy and picking up every jolt in the road, that doesn't bother me so much as I know what to expect, lets face it, coilovers are geared more towards the track. My old car was a Honda Civic EG and the build quality was tinny and and not that solid so everything used to shake, bang and rattle inside the car, there was hardlt any sound proofing. The Leon is quite wel sound deadened I feel so I was wondering if it's still quite quiet inside?

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
I think it is to be fair, I can hear tyre noise a little more. But not that noticable IMO, especially when the radio is on. My interior has started to rattle now in a few places which is expected, mainly around the parcel shelf and rear door cards. But then again mine is coming up for 10 years old :)

I think the key thing for me is that the road holding is brillant. I have no fear of throwing around as I know it will stick. And I feel safe in the knowledge that they are solid build and good quality so will not crack/snap or split, no matter what hammering they take.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Basically just a step up in build quality really. The ride is better with the Weitec's but the AP's are still very similar and very good.

There's about a £75 difference between the 2 sets.

Damian @ DPM Performance

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise