What diameter are the Pancake & TB openings

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Just sorting out the the pipe, joiners and reducers for my FMIC install and want to confirm the size of the pancake and TB openings.

Is the pancake 60mm or 63mm? If it is 60mm can someone confirm that the 64/65mmm silicon pipe will clamp up ok?

Is the TB 76mm or 80mm?

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
managed to buy a pipe kit with 3-ply silicon and t-bolt clamps for £85 + £9 postage.

Just need to find out for sure about the pancake pipe size. Using google I found a thread on the ukmk5 site that said it was 60mm. But I want to be deffo sure as I would hate to start the install and have to stop half way through.

brad1

The inlet to the pancake pipe is 50mm and the side that connects to the standard intercooler, the larger diameter hole is 60mm ;)

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
The inlet to the pancake pipe is 50mm and the side that connects to the standard intercooler, the larger diameter hole is 60mm ;)
Thanks mate... I think I've seen your doing an FMIC at the moment? If it was you did you clamp a 63-65mm silicon pipe to it?

No need to now :D
... thanks anyway mate. I've seen your FMIC install and its sweet. I spent a very long time finding a twin-pass cooler, for got I could of done the same as you.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
cheers Adam, I'll keep that in mind.

I can't actually get my head round the fact that I'm fitting the FMIC. I've had the cooler for several months because I've suffered with massive CF's since being mapped but couldn't risk flashing cash for the pipe kit in the current climate.

Out of the blue last night the wife told me to order the pipe kit because she'd been saving money on the quite. One of those days where you can't believe your luck!

brad1

This is my install mate, im going to rework the bottom pipe slightly soon, just cause i want to eliminate that cr@ppy 90 elbow, ive got a silicone elbow on their now, i think i can get away with rotating the pipes slightly and putting a straight silicone joiner in there :) Oh and all my intercooler pipes are 64mm and i used 60mm silicone, they was very tight to get on, but got their in the end :)

Picture004-3.jpg

brad1

cheers Adam, I'll keep that in mind.

I can't actually get my head round the fact that I'm fitting the FMIC. I've had the cooler for several months because I've suffered with massive CF's since being mapped but couldn't risk flashing cash for the pipe kit in the current climate.

Out of the blue last night the wife told me to order the pipe kit because she'd been saving money on the quite. One of those days where you can't believe your luck!

Gets pics of your cooler up mate, what one did you go for?

brad1

Yeah you've used the same seller as me ;) also I've got the bigger medium version, you want the one I've bought, the one I've got is 3inch thick and 12inch high so it sits lower closer to the bottom of the bumper sitting perfect in the front lower grill area for better airflow :)

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Yeah you've used the same seller as me ;) also I've got the bigger medium version, you want the one I've bought, the one I've got is 3inch thick and 12inch high so it sits lower closer to the bottom of the bumper sitting perfect in the front lower grill area for better airflow :)

I did look at the bigger one but felt that the slightly smaller one would need less cutting of the crash bar. From looking at other threads it looks like a 65mm thick cooler goes in with almost no cutting.

I also calculated that the one I got gave me a core capacity 2x bigger than OEM, yours is nearer 2.5-3 time bigger.

Plan on hagging it as low as possible. Plus if placing the cooler to the right means no cutting of the crash bar I'll consider how it looks.

brad1

I did look at the bigger one but felt that the slightly smaller one would need less cutting of the crash bar. From looking at other threads it looks like a 65mm thick cooler goes in with almost no cutting.

I also calculated that the one I got gave me a core capacity 2x bigger than OEM, yours is nearer 2.5-3 time bigger.

Plan on hagging it as low as possible. Plus if placing the cooler to the right means no cutting of the crash bar I'll consider how it looks.

The problem you will have about hanging it as low as possible will be the top intercooler pipe, you want the outlet for the top pipe near as spot on parallel with the crash bar so you can run a pipe from the outlet and it near as runs along the top of the crash bar and under the headlight like mine, if you get me, that would be your best bet, and thats why i went for my one over the one your going for, as my one sits lower by a few more inches :) hope that helps mate