What do we all do for jobs

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I work in IT, Applications development and support for a food manufacturer. My background is infrastructure/servers/desktop deployments etc but I lost interest and enthusiasm for that side of IT and jumped at the chance to switch to applications (for the same company) a few years ago and enjoy it so much more.

One good thing about working in the food industry is that I've been able to keep working throughout the lockdown and have actually managed to save money due to not travelling the 50 miles per day for work.

Well, I say that, but then last month my old car died in a cloud of smoke and I had to buy the Leon, so I'm a good few thousand down really I guess :D

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I work in IT, Applications development and support for a food manufacturer. My background is infrastructure/servers/desktop deployments etc but I lost interest and enthusiasm for that side of IT and jumped at the chance to switch to applications (for the same company) a few years ago and enjoy it so much more.

One good thing about working in the food industry is that I've been able to keep working throughout the lockdown and have actually managed to save money due to not travelling the 50 miles per day for work.

Well, I say that, but then last month my old car died in a cloud of smoke and I had to buy the Leon, so I'm a good few thousand down really I guess :D
Pretty much what I did lol I'm not a true programmer but I make a lot in PowerApps etc for a manufacturer and it's great fun! Good to try new stuff to keep things going in thee old noggin.

I've done more work over lockdown than when I was in the office which I didn't see coming. Also saved a bunch but mines mainly from going out at lunch and stuffing my face haha also got a new Leon haha I'm not sure if this counts as stalking haha

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Pretty much what I did lol I'm not a true programmer but I make a lot in PowerApps etc for a manufacturer and it's great fun! Good to try new stuff to keep things going in thee old noggin.

I've done more work over lockdown than when I was in the office which I didn't see coming. Also saved a bunch but mines mainly from going out at lunch and stuffing my face haha also got a new Leon haha I'm not sure if this counts as stalking haha

:lol: @ the stalking!

I did programming at college and haven't done much of it since then (and that was 30 years ago now!). We run SAP as our main system so it's a lot of config more than programming. We have a developer that does the programming for us, although we do have to do a lot of work in debug so need to have a reasonable understanding of the programming.

Just starting to use PowerApps here and we have a web developer that works with us too, creating in-house apps linked to SAP through a PI server (Process integration) and it's that bit that is my "thing" now, creating the message mappings and config between the third-party apps and systems and SAP.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Been a Mechanic for 30 years and a tester for 20+.
Yesterday i finally passed my class 2 HGV test (what a drama thats been!) so hoping that sometime soon ill be having a total career change.
Looking forward to it tbh.

Rich

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Been a Mechanic for 30 years and a tester for 20+.
Yesterday i finally passed my class 2 HGV test (what a drama thats been!) so hoping that sometime soon ill be having a total career change.
Looking forward to it tbh.

Rich
I had a total career change 7 years ago and started driving a truck.
Was a joiner for 13 years before that but always wanted to be a truck driver.
Did it and thought I can always go back if it’s not for me but I still love it.
Bet that’s been a fiasco during COVID doing your class 2?

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I'll be sadly giving up my Class 1 in 2 years not worth renewing with annual medicals from 66, even though I hadn't used it in the last 20 years I wouldn't let it lapse and it cost (virtually) nothing to renew every 5 years. Got it in 1982 as promoted to vehicle tester (for cars/trucks/bodyshop) in a dealership.

SierraTango

Sep 11, 2018
Edinburgh

Ayyy, it's The IT Crowd over here @Jimbobcook @SteveW!

I'm a Software Developer :wave:

Reactions: SteveW

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I had a total career change 7 years ago and started driving a truck.
Was a joiner for 13 years before that but always wanted to be a truck driver.
Did it and thought I can always go back if it’s not for me but I still love it.
Bet that’s been a fiasco during COVID doing your class 2?

Yep, its been a bit of a mare lol.
Started revising about this time last year and passed the theory and hazzard perception tests last nov/dec.

Did a crash course towards the end of february and failed the test (nearly drove up a 7.5t weight limit road). Road signs my biggest issue.
Then lock down!
4 months later i had 2 hrs lessons and failed again. Caused an oncomming car to slow down as i was turning right at lights.
3rd test was 2 weeks ago and passed.

An old friend of mine is retiring, selling up and moving away.
He lined an interview up for me and i got the job :)
Not sure when im starting yet mind. All down to his house sale etc.

After 30 years as a mechanic, im sick of the sight of cars.
And they are getting harder to work on being as ive never been great with vehicle electrics.

Will stay with class 2 if i can afford too.
Like my own bed to much haha.

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
I've made a career of career changes and am now one of the most overqualified part time warehouse cleaners you'll ever meet.
From my point of view though I'm just one last promotion away from my lifetime ambition to be a housewife.
Some really interesting jobs some of you guys have!

Reactions: Syphon

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Yep, its been a bit of a mare lol.
Started revising about this time last year and passed the theory and hazzard perception tests last nov/dec.

Did a crash course towards the end of february and failed the test (nearly drove up a 7.5t weight limit road). Road signs my biggest issue.
Then lock down!
4 months later i had 2 hrs lessons and failed again. Caused an oncomming car to slow down as i was turning right at lights.
3rd test was 2 weeks ago and passed.

An old friend of mine is retiring, selling up and moving away.
He lined an interview up for me and i got the job :)
Not sure when im starting yet mind. All down to his house sale etc.

After 30 years as a mechanic, im sick of the sight of cars.
And they are getting harder to work on being as ive never been great with vehicle electrics.

Will stay with class 2 if i can afford too.
Like my own bed to much haha.
I too like my own bed too much.
I work a 4 day week Tuesday to Friday, 3 in the morning starts and pick the kids up from school at 3.15 so it works for me.
And for break times I have a bed to sleep on in my wagon so the best of both worlds really.(y)

Reactions: Rich.T

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
Engineer in Aerospace industry, previously I was In the Automotive Industry running programmes making super car body panels. Got to got to pretty much all of the high end manufacturers in Europe, which was pretty cool. :)

Reactions: Manic172 and Degs

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Whats the business you are trying to start?
Well done for keeping going.
Got hit with depression myself in 2008. Hard to shake off.

I lost my job during the first wave of the corona virus. I was in a deep depression after that because I was dreaming so hard to get that and lost it in a moment. Fortunately, I was lucky to find a new job at https://uk.jooble.org/jobs-postman-royal-mail/Belfast. It is a part-time one. Al my free time now I am trying to do my best in starting a business.
Sorry to hear that. Good to see you're already working to overcome it.

I write content for an online tech publication. Nothing remotely interesting compared to many of the careers posted here.

Dec 13, 2020
I am an ecommerce store owner. I sell different merchandises of rappers and footballers.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise