what mpg do you get- is mine high? ibiza fr

lukester85

Hello there

I have a 57 plate petrol ibiza 1.8 20vt fr, 13000 miles on clock, 2nd owner had it nearly a year, ive given it one service about 4 months ago.

Ive been thinking my mpg is pretty high lately, im not sure if the cold weather makes a difference to it or whether im just penny pinching and noticing the petrol bill more this time of year....
... i have noticed a lot of "smoke" coming out the exhaust lately, even on idle... a lot of cars on the road are doing this at the minute so i reckon thats just the water vapor condensing quickly when hitting the cold air outside - is this correct?

When i start the car from cold it revs to about 15000rpm then lowers itself to about 9000 when its warm. (think these are right - got figures 10-90 on rev counter it says x100 at the top - if it looks wrong take a "0" off what i said!)

This is approx what im getting figures wise:

town driving (about 15 miles of 20mph zones thru to 60mph zones)
average 18mpg - when looking at the real time setting it can dip as low as 6mpg in 1st and 2nd gear, but as high as 36 in 4th

motorways + long distance (exeter city center to bristol city center)
average 35-42mpg - when looking at the real time setting it can go as low as 18mpg in 4th or as high as 120 mpg in 5th

I dont race around or accelerate particularly fast anywhere. in town im usually in 4th just plodding along at 30, in the 20mph zones i use 3rd gear. Tend to change gear quite low in the rev range, no need to rag it to death! Motorway driving i usually cruise along at about 80, but if im feeling the pinch i go about 65 - which does give better mpg on the real time setting but when i get to where im going the average is still in the region of 50mpg, so not a lot better.

When driving at night i have noticed my headlights dim considerably when braking to a stop or if im sitting in the car on idle with cockpit light on it dims a fair bit then goes bright again on its own, or if touch the accelerator comes straight back on properly, anyone else get this?

Thanks in advance for the help i hope you can give me!

luke

TazB

Xbox Gamer Tag = TazCupra
Mar 23, 2007
Glasgow
all sounds pretty normal mate, although i've got a diesel.

and yeah its 1500rpm or 900rpm. thats normal too.

spree

Hi,

I also drive a 1.8t FR but a 54 plate with 26,000 miles.

Maybe I have a light right foot but 18mpg around town sounds a little low to me. Most of my driving is around town and I seem to average mid 20's to mid 30's mpg on standard 95ron fuel.

I seem to get about the same mpg as you mentioned for motorways + long distance though.

I'm not an expert but the rest sounds pretty normal to me.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I drive mostly short trips and with all my cars i ve found mid winter to be a pants time for MPG. My Fr Tdi is prob doing only around 40 mpg at the moment. I dont even bother working it out this time of year as simply running the car whilst clearing the frost hammers the ave Mpg.

I would take the trip Mpg with a pinch of salt to be honest as it simply lies :D
Mine has told me that ive averaged 60 mpg between filling up when doing it the old way with a calculator at the pump has made it nearer 50 mpg or even less.

The headlights and cockpit display diming is a little more worring though and could point to a weak battery or the alternator not charging, i would keep an eye on that. If you have a volt meter connect it across the battery with the car running and you should see a healthy 13-14 volts. If you get say 11-12 then your not getting any charge :(

lukecupra2001

Smoogie And Proud
Jul 25, 2005
middlesbrough
no read the post above my last one.
millers also do an equivalent petrol additive that ups the RON by 2 and increases MPG abit aswell, did in mine anyway

lukester85

buy some millers diesel additive.
Fill the tank up, Apply the correct amount.
After 1-2 tanks it should be running better and smoking less.

ummm i have a petrol car.... i dont know much about cars, but do i want to put diesel additive in it?

lukester85

The headlights and cockpit display diming is a little more worring though and could point to a weak battery or the alternator not charging, i would keep an eye on that. If you have a volt meter connect it across the battery with the car running and you should see a healthy 13-14 volts. If you get say 11-12 then your not getting any charge :(

Thanks for that, the car lies, the dealerships lie.... seat told me dimming lights are normal.... im going to "borrow" a volt meter from work tomorro and have a look at that!

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Normal they are taking the micky :D

Test the volts as it could be something simple like the alt belt not tight enough and slightly slipping. ;)

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I have a 1.8 20VT, but on APR Stage 2, your figures are about the same as mine for motorway, and lower around town. Has the car been serviced recently? And yes, a fuel additive to celan the system out may help.

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Quick calc showed my trip to be off by 1mpg which was pretty accurate since they are usually miles off. Rest of it sounds normal, I get averages of around 33-35mpg on a tank full over a mixture of motorway and a bit of urban mileage.

Weather can have an effect, particularly rain as it causes slightly more drag - also keep in mind it will run rich for longer periods after start up in extreme cold.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.