What tracker/immobilisers are people using?

ben

Nov 26, 2015
Looking at getting something fitted to increase security on my cupra 280.

I’ve had a browse on the internet and there are so many options. I know in the end it’s probably best speaking with a local car security provider but I’d be interested to know what products people are using?

Seems like an OBD relocate plus some sort of tracker +\- immobiliser is the way to go.

How much are people paying and is it likely to reduce insurance costs?

Thanks

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
It seems as though these cars are hard to steal without the keys, so keeping them safe is top priority. Ultimately thieves can and do break in to your house to get the keys, so making that as hard as possible is the best way to secure the car.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I was due to turn the tracker on, on my Porsche, but the dealer said... do you really want it back if somebody has stolen it and trashed it.

Reactions: SRGTD and bgb

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If I get something, can I get a refund from my insurer? :)

Always best to check with your insurer first.

In the UK, some insurers will allow a discount off your ‘standard’ premium if the security device you have fitted - or are planning on getting fitted - is Thatcham approved security device (Thatcham is the insurance industry research centre).

I think that whether you get a discount or not would depend on who your insurer is, what their approach is to the fitting of additional security devices, and whether any specific device you’re planning on getting fitted is insurance industry (Thatcham) approved. Your insurer is likely to require that the device is fitted by an ‘approved installer’, and I suspect they may also want to see some form of proof of installation (a copy of the installer’s installation certificate). Always best to speak to your insurer first before spending £££’s on a security device, only to find that it’s not Thatcham approved, so you’re not eligible for a discount.

For anyone considering getting an Autowatch Ghost immobiliser fitted to their car, bear in mind that it’s not Thatcham approved, so i doubt insurers will offer a discount in recognition of it being fitted.

I can remember back in the 1980’s / 1990’s when theft of performance cars / hot hatches was a widespread problem, and many insurers insisted on a Thatcham approved security device being fitted before they would consider granting cover. In those circumstances, as additional security was a condition of cover, no security discount would be given.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I was due to turn the tracker on, on my Porsche, but the dealer said... do you really want it back if somebody has stolen it and trashed it.

This is why i have GAP and a decent fully comp policy.. they can have the car and i'll call the police once i now its well gone or fully written off :rolleyes:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
This is why i have GAP and a decent fully comp policy.. they can have the car and i'll call the police once i now its well gone or fully written off :rolleyes:

Yes, GAP plus a decent comp insurance policy are essential IMO, so if your car’s stolen and (hopefully) written off or not recovered, then the combined GAP and comp policy claim payments mean you don’t end up with a derisory sum to fund a replacement car.

I’d also not want my car back if it had been stolen and abused by some low life.

Reactions: bgb

ben

Nov 26, 2015
How would GAP work if I am currently paying off a bank loan that I used to pay for my car from a private sale.

I’ve always wondered why people are so bothered about having it back if it was stolen. Even if they booted it to max revs for half an hour from cold and then hid it in a garage, is it really going to do any long term harm to a well maintained car? Sure someone else has driven it but I’ve had previous owners who I also know nothing about their driving styles.

My pal had a Golf R stolen and while you can’t be sure in every case, the police officer said that it’s not common for performance cars to be stolen and ragged around as it draws attention to the vehicle while being transported from site of theft.

If it goes down on the vehicle history then sure it’ll reduce its value so I wouldn’t want it back in that instance.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
How would GAP work if I am currently paying off a bank loan that I used to pay for my car from a private sale.
From money.co.uk website;

GAP insurance - when you might need it
If you buy a car on finance

If you use a personal loan or finance deal to buy your car and it is written off, your car insurance payout may not cover your outstanding loan. This could happen if:
  • Your finance deal or loan charges a high rate of interest
  • Your finance deal or loan is spread over a long period, e.g. five years
  • The deposit was small, or you have a large one off payment to make at the end of the term
If this happens you could end up without a car, and still owe money to your finance company without any spare cash to buy a new vehicle.

I’ve always wondered why people are so bothered about having it back if it was stolen. Even if they booted it to max revs for half an hour from cold and then hid it in a garage, is it really going to do any long term harm to a well maintained car? Sure someone else has driven it but I’ve had previous owners who I also know nothing about their driving styles.
For me it’d be as much - if not more - about bodywork damage that it might sustain, in addition to it possibly having been ragged to within an inch of its life with little regard for mechanical sympathy. If it were damaged and recovered, once repaired it’s likely there’d be little tell tale signs of the repairs that most other people wouldn’t notice, but I’d see them every time I went near the car.

If my car was stolen and recovered and then repaired, I’d be wanting to get rid a.s.a.p. A stolen / recovered and repaired car might not bother some owners, but then everybody’s different.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Most insurers will give you money off if you have a tracker fitted, this time I had to send them proof that the subscription was active but that wasnt too much effort.

I also got 20 quid off my renewal for having a dashcam fitted which I didnt think was too bad

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I also got 20 quid off my renewal for having a dashcam fitted which I didnt think was too bad

I get nothing off my insurance for having a Dashcam fitted. I was actually told that was because I don’t have accidents!!! Apparently if you have a Dashcam fitted and have accidents you will get a discount....makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I get nothing off my insurance for having a Dashcam fitted. I was actually told that was because I don’t have accidents!!! Apparently if you have a Dashcam fitted and have accidents you will get a discount....makes no sense to me.

My worry is, I have a removeable dashcam... generally I always put it in when I take the car out. But a couple of "pops" to the shop I've forgot about it. To save £20 on my renewal I'd worry when they asked for the dashcam footage and I'd forgot to put the camera in.

Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
My worry is, I have a removeable dashcam... generally I always put it in when I take the car out. But a couple of "pops" to the shop I've forgot about it. To save £20 on my renewal I'd worry when they asked for the dashcam footage and I'd forgot to put the camera in.

Could be an issue. Mines permanently in place and records when parked up too but no discount for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Legojon

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
What devices are thatcham backed

I was looking at a Ghost and thought this looked great

One question I have tho- Ghost has an iPhone app so you don’t need to do the code but does this not have the same issue sam keyless if the phone is near the car in the house ? What’s the radius anyone know or try ?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
What devices are thatcham backed

I was looking at a Ghost and thought this looked great

One question I have tho- Ghost has an iPhone app so you don’t need to do the code but does this not have the same issue sam keyless if the phone is near the car in the house ? What’s the radius anyone know or try ?

There’s a facility on the Thatcham website to check for approved security devices - link below. Pretty certain Autowatch Ghost isn’t Thatcham / Insurance industry approved.

https://www.thatcham.org/thatcham-security-certifications/

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Thing is with a ghost, if the people hell bent on getting your car have decided to come inside for the keys, what’s stopping them taking you/threatening you for the activation key?

Surely just taking steady measures and having good insurance and GAP on the car is easier?

Reactions: SRGTD
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.