What tyres do you guys run?

nitrome90

Sep 13, 2015
Will be needing to replace my tires soon, and I know some are expensive but aren't as good as others.

I heard about the eagle F1s being good, but don't really have that much knowledge on the subject :/

Also opinions on stretched tires? Pros/cons?

Any help appreciated :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It depends what you're looking for really mate. A lot of people only go for the bigger brand names, but myself i like the Vredestien range. I've only had the "summer" tyres, but even in the cold and wet they are really grippy, and when they do lose traction they are very predictable and progressive.

Wouldn't go anywhere near streched tyres myself. They will ruin the handling of your car and a lot of insurance companies have a serious issue with them too.

andycupra

status subject to change
what is your priority?

price
performance
mileage?

personally i like goodyears a good compromise on all fronts id say.

i've wandered over to the side of brands such as falkern a few times over the years. which were ok but im always amazed how much better the goodyears are when i have returned.
pirellis i have found to be no better than the goodyears with less impressive wear and value.
and ive had some cars come with budget fitted which are silly poor in the wet so avoid.

but expect some other suggestions on here im sure

Last edited:

teddycatkin

Dec 24, 2015
I agree with Goodyears as a 1st choice ( my Leon is on std 15" wheels on effiecientgrips they are quiet and hold the road well )

minute

Aug 15, 2013
Accrington
I usually buy Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas, but have bought a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s this time, they were only a 5er extra per wheel, £63 each from Oponeo

Bunter6

Dec 29, 2010
Coatbridge
I run Landsail 988's on the front of mines. I thought like many of you probably are that budget tyres are crap but my mate recommended them to me as he runs them on his tuned 9-5 Aero.

Brilliant tyres, no squeal in the dry, much better wet weather than the p-zero's that they replaced, and almost as good as the ultrac ssessantas i had on my black LCR a few years ago but only cost £40 a tyre fitted.

The only bad point i'd say they have is that road noise is pretty prevalent on them compared to more established names. I'm not a brand ***** so I dont see me going back to paying 50-100% more per tyre to have Conti/Michelin/Toyo etc stamped on my sidewalls.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Have used Goodyear eagle f1s in the past and always liked them as an all rounder, melted a set of fronts on track once though which is no big surprise.

Have now got michelin pilot supersports which I really like and as long as they're available for reasonable money will be my choice.

I once had a Saab that needed its rear tyres replacing and I was selling it soon so just put some budgets on. They were wanlis iirc and driving at normal traffic speeds had me over steering on a damp roundabout at 20mph. Never again.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I use altenzo's on my LCR. They are cheap but brilliant. The wet grip is great can't feel any difference to the Goodyear f1's they replaced. At about £40 each they are a bargain.

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
I had Pirelli PZero Rossos on mine from new and kept to them for 5/6 years through 3 sets. They always wore unevenly at the front, about a third of the way in from the outside, every set just the same. Pressures were always spot on and I had the suspension checked out on a Hunter laser system - everything as it should be.

Then I changed to the F1 Eagle Asymm2. Brilliant tyres and no more uneven wear patterns, on the 3rd set now. The rim protector strip is brilliant for reducing kerb damage. They've recently been replaced by the Asymm3 and the Asymm2 is now difficult to get hold of. Hope the Asymm3 turns out to be as good.

Leon1600s

Once a 1600, now an LCR
Sep 17, 2011
Berkshire
I usually buy Vredestein Ultrac Sessentas, but have bought a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3s this time, they were only a 5er extra per wheel, £63 each from Oponeo

How do you find the Uniroyals compare? I'm running Vreds at the moment and can't fault them, but I've only had budgets on prior to these (came on the car).

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I run Landsail 988's on the front of mines. I thought like many of you probably are that budget tyres are crap but my mate recommended them to me as he runs them on his tuned 9-5 Aero.

Brilliant tyres, no squeal in the dry, much better wet weather than the p-zero's that they replaced, and almost as good as the ultrac ssessantas i had on my black LCR a few years ago but only cost £40 a tyre fitted.

The only bad point i'd say they have is that road noise is pretty prevalent on them compared to more established names. I'm not a brand ***** so I dont see me going back to paying 50-100% more per tyre to have Conti/Michelin/Toyo etc stamped on my sidewalls.

Depends what you want out of a tyre. Landsail is one of the better budget brands but no way would it outperform more expensive tyres in tests like deep aqua braking. Well worth the extra when you suddenly find yourself in a flooded patch of motorway behind someone going 40!

minute

Aug 15, 2013
Accrington
How do you find the Uniroyals compare? I'm running Vreds at the moment and can't fault them, but I've only had budgets on prior to these (came on the car).

I've only had them on for about 300 motorway miles, had them fitted on Saturday. Initial thoughts, they are noiser than the Vreds at high speeds. Can't fault them other than that. I launched it properly on a wet road last night and the tyres didn't spin up at all, the Vreds would have scrabbled a bit in this situation. They are a rain tyre after all, will see how they perform in the dry.

Think they're £53 on Camskill too for 18"s, bargain!

People complain about soft sidewalls with these but the XLs come with reinforced sidewalls which solves this problem

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I've only had them on for about 300 motorway miles, had them fitted on Saturday. Initial thoughts, they are noiser than the Vreds at high speeds. Can't fault them other than that. I launched it properly on a wet road last night and the tyres didn't spin up at all, the Vreds would have scrabbled a bit in this situation. They are a rain tyre after all, will see how they perform in the dry.

Think they're £53 on Camskill too for 18"s, bargain!

People complain about soft sidewalls with these but the XLs come with reinforced sidewalls which solves this problem

Each manufacture has a different strength construction wall, Uniroyal produce soft walls, so their XL wall is soft when compared to others, so for me this far from solves problems associated with soft walled tyres..

andycupra

status subject to change
Each manufacture has a different strength construction wall, Uniroyal produce soft walls, so their XL wall is soft when compared to others, so for me this far from solves problems associated with soft walled tyres..

uniroyals have a load rating of 92 which is the same as the goodyear assy and higher than the recommended load of 90...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.