What's a MKII 8v GTi worth ?

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
I know it's hard to say without looking at the individual car,
I've looked on e-bay and they are anywhere between £300-£1300
it's a 1999 3door 2.0 8valve 86k, in bronze no tax or mot and it's stood for 2 years without turning a wheel it's got all the goodies and the body work and interior are in excellent condition and the wheels are pretty good 2 of the tyres are flat and need changing
I'm doing some work for a mate and I'm having the car in payment but I don't want to short change the lad and i want a ball park figure so he gets a fair ammount of work for the car
cheers peeps

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
You will probably get different opinions but id say worth about £500 as its got no mot or tax and has been stood still for 2 years, never know what it will take to get on the road.
Never under estimate the Mk2 lol.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
I just paid £750 for a 99 v, 130k daily driver tax and test, good tyres all round with slight mods (see my hello post!) But, it was one owner from new, maintained regardless of expense ... My brother's an engineer and also an IAM supervisor, and a full race marshall in his spare time (!) So i knew it was good. His usual mechanic since he stopped going to dealers builds rally cars that win, so i was happy with the standard of maintenance. I've had lots of creaky old 205 gits, rallyes, xs's etc, and this car really doesn't feel like 130k worth of well used Gti, more like a well worn in car of about 50-60K...

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I'd say £500 max for a car thats been stood for two years. Reckon on spending £500 again to get it through an MOT and Getting Tax on it.

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Sounds reasonable... Tax ain't cheap, and by the time you've tested that only leaves £300 for work... A couple of tyres would eat a big hole in that depending what you want. After a couple of years you may have seized fingers in the clutch cover to worry about, which would basically eat everything left. I'd say £500 to return it to the road might be a bit low, will depend how lucky you are!

jase750

Jan 3, 2003
Stoke on Trent
Visit site
well I went to it today took out the plugs gave them a wire brushing , cleaned the dizzy cap out, put some fresh petrol in it and jump leads from the FR and it started ! ! ! a little bit rattly for a min or two so i didn't rev it and just let it warm up, no leaks or smoke or anything bad and once it was warm it sounded as sweet as a nut,
can't keep a good beezer down :D

Caffienated

Dec 2, 2009
Bristol
Sounds like you're lucky!
I'd still change all the fluids, and keep a close eye on the state of the battery, but assuming suspension, brakes and steering haven't suffered that sounds fantastic!
Watch out for flat spots on any tyres you're keeping, too...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.