Wheel Bearing or Diff Noise?

crinkmeister

Apr 24, 2013
Paignton
My son's Mk1 Leon 1.8T was making a noise at 40+. I went with him on a drive just before the MOT was due and I diagnosed front ns wheel bearing gone. Sure enough, rocking the wheel top and bottom gave the game away. The MOT tester agreed and after replacing bearing all was well. Errr... except there is still a noise! Now I can't tell what this is. It sounds worse when going straight or turning right. Turning left seems to be quieter. Is this likely to be a diff problem or maybe the other front wheel bearing? Car has done about 80k miles.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
CV joint just starting to go? Mine went a couple of weeks ago and made some strange noises, I thought it was a bearing at first... Would explain it being worse under cornering one way too...

ispcarsurvey

I had a noise above 30mph. Steps taken have been...

Checked the wheels/tyres are balanced? (initially seemed to have cured the problem)
Swap the front and back wheels around and see if that moves the noise (i.e. noise now coming from the back and not the front).
Wheel tracking all ok?

If none of the above sorts, was advised it's likely the wheel bearing.

Have you had both wheel bearings replaced or just one?

Good luck and hope you get it sorted

crinkmeister

Apr 24, 2013
Paignton
Just one bearing replaced so far - NSF. Tracking was done a few months ago and no obvious unusual tyre wear. Tempted to get the other bearing done as I understand that they can appear to be ok but still have worn surfaces inside that will make them noisy.

I wondered if it was the CV joint as well, but no obvious knocking sounds on full lock.

Last edited:

ispcarsurvey

If it's any conciliation, I also had 1 done but seems like it was the other... mine's in the garage now so fingers crossed that it'll all be sorted and drone free! The noise is somewhat irritating.

crinkmeister

Apr 24, 2013
Paignton
If it's any conciliation, I also had 1 done but seems like it was the other... mine's in the garage now so fingers crossed that it'll all be sorted and drone free! The noise is somewhat irritating.

Interesting! Did you manage to confirm that the other bearing was indeed responsible - if so how!

ispcarsurvey

My local tyre place did the other tests (re-balance etc) and said they were 99% sure it was a wheel bearing, which a garage confirmed was the case today after taking it out for a roadtest. Apparently it's a bit stuck getting off so it is being soaked overnight in lubricant and then a new one being fitted in the morning.

One sign that I spotted was when I turn quite hard on a big bend/roundabout, the noise went as the load/weight of the car moved to the side where the working wheel bearing is.

Fingers crossed all is ok when I collect the car tomorrow...

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
The double row taper bearings tend to be noisy without showing any of the classic "rock at 12 and 6" movements, the first bearing must've been properly knackered to get any wheel movement.

I replaced both my fronts in summer 2011 after they became noisy, I found no wheel movement at all when I did them but the noise would obviously change depending on which direction the car was turning.

Glad the car is sorted though :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I second that. I had a bearing fail on my old Ibiza, and there was no perceptible wheel rock yet the bearing sounded like it was full of rocks!

emili0_071

Jul 10, 2015
Rule of thumb everyone, when changing anything on front or back wheels, replace in pairs never just a single.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.