Wheel bearing replacment.... damaged hub !

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
yeah left the retaining screw out, but that's only to hold the disc in place while you put the wheel on... it doesn't do anything other than that.

The disc's held on by the wheel bolts ;)

Don't think mine are warped, they ust don't run 'true' hence the comment in the instructions.....

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
when changing the bearings in the hubs for the 300mm set up on the old 1.4, one bearing took 3 tonnes, the other 14 tonnes to crack and then it breazed out at 2 tonnes

They did'nt support it right - LOL @ not taking the circlip out:D

Jun 28, 2001
done loads of those on leons and tolly's and can agree that the abs rotor does get in the way when trying to press them out, which are a PIG to do sometimes when they are corroded in nicely!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Right,

I've managed to eradicate the rumbling/.knocking..... by doing 1 of 2 things....

1: Checked that the spigot ring was in the correct way round, which it wasn't. So I've corrected that.

2: Thought I'd see if the 'new' EBC discs had warped.... so when I had the wheel off, I rotated the disc and could hear it 'catching' as I turned it. I could also see a very small gap (0.1mm size) between the discs and pad, but as I rotated the disc, the gap dissappeared and reappeared as the disc turned a full 360'.

Now, I remember reading something on the 'instructions' that came with the discs, that basically said that if you get 'vibration' to remove the locating screw, and turn the disc round by 1 bolt hole.

So I've done that, and then checked that the 'gap' doesn't reappear/diappear.... which it now doesn't.

Has anyone else ever heard of having to do this with discs ?? Bill ??

Anyway, I've taken the car for a 10mile spin at various speeds etc, and not encountered the knocking etc. Will give it a couple of days to settle in and report back.

Andy

unless the disk is clamped in all positions the check is pointless, especially if its been off the car. Needs to be clamped flat to the hub, and presumes both mating surfaces are cleaned off so they can sit flush to each other. Wire brush, copperslip ** as good practice.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Car's not been looked at yet, but I did have new tyres on Friday - They're hardly scrubbed yet, but it does seem a lot better.

I'm sure they'll get a more comprehensive test on the way home...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.