wheel bounce on launch!

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
Guys,

I'm not one for racing but since the weather has been relatively dry and I've only had my Cupra 1.5 months, I thought I'd take the opportunity to put my foot down to enjoy the acceleration.

Usually I wait until i'm in second gear until I put my foot down, but obviousy wantin to feel the full potential I have tried all gears and noticed that when I put it down I get terrible wheel bounce, obviously the lack of traction and speed.

Is there anyway to sort this as I am plannng to re map in the near future and think this needs to be sorted before hand,

One suggestion from a friend is that I fit coilovers or lower the car or change the ARB's, has anyone done this to cure the issue.

It did make me look a little bit of burk (and for those who think I am for having a play I already no I shouldnt but I just had too) the other day when I had a MK1 CR pull up at the lights wanting a little acceleration test and when I did I just bounced.

Thanks

Jim

Poverty

Guys,

I'm not one for racing but since the weather has been relatively dry and I've only had my Cupra 1.5 months, I thought I'd take the opportunity to put my foot down to enjoy the acceleration.

Usually I wait until i'm in second gear until I put my foot down, but obviousy wantin to feel the full potential I have tried all gears and noticed that when I put it down I get terrible wheel bounce, obviously the lack of traction and speed.

Is there anyway to sort this as I am plannng to re map in the near future and think this needs to be sorted before hand,

One suggestion from a friend is that I fit coilovers or lower the car or change the ARB's, has anyone done this to cure the issue.

It did make me look a little bit of burk (and for those who think I am for having a play I already no I shouldnt but I just had too) the other day when I had a MK1 CR pull up at the lights wanting a little acceleration test and when I did I just bounced.

Thanks

Jim

better tyres, uprated engine mounts, suspension bushes should help alot.

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Maybe try fitting a Whiteline anti lift kit with new suspension components? Helps stop the car rising up as much under acceleration and should keep the wheels on the road better! :)

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
I'll agree with Poverty and Street. Install anti-roll bars and upgrade your engine mounts for a start. Then move to more expensive options like better suspension etc.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I used to have this on my old Cavalier, replacing the suspension with all round Jamex dampers and springs sorted it. I still got wheelspin, but it was 'screeeeeee' rather than 'boinga boinga boinga'...

Then my mate drove it, and showed me how to launch perfectly. Two seconds in the car and he was already more in control of it. The git... :)

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
Thanks guys been out this evening without the esp on and it was alot better, but i'm gonna get some new tyres and a set of H&R 40mm or eibach pro kit.

Which is the best and is 40mm going to interfere with my turning circle?

Jim

Most people who got the pro kit have ended up going for sport line kit by eibach, I did the 1 step approach and bought the sportlines the 1st time. They lower the front 55mm and the back 40mm I think? The car sits fine and it allows a full boot and passengers without rubbing and that's on 18's.
I have some aftermarket wheels that are wider and even with those there are no turning issues ie catching on the wheel arch.

My tacky tyres also reduced the bounce effect.

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
there is just one mod that will prevent wheel hop and thats the engine mounts. wheel hop is caused by excessive engine movment.

ARBs will do zero to solve it, anti lift kit wont stop wheel hop(but will increase traction when cornering), stiffer suspension will help as the back of the car will not squat so much under braking, hence more weight over the fron axle.

esp is a big cause of wheel hop, by temporarily cutting power it causes the engine to jolt, which starts the wheel hop which is a nightmare.

lower engine mount will solve 90% of the wheel hop issues. after driving TFSImikes cupra with the VWR lower mount i think it works very very well. my car certainly wheel hops more than his. i just have the torque arm insert

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise