Wheel Cleaner - What's the best?

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Once you've got the worst off, try some Meguiars Cleaner Wax.

I use it on my wheels (white multispokes, pain in the arse to get properly clean, they tend to be slightly yellowy even after a good wash) and it brings them up lovely and white.
Just wash the wheels first the same way as the car, then apply cleaner wax and buff off. *gleam* :D

tissot

Jan 3, 2007
york
i use some stuff from cartec, non acidic, no rubbing required, spray on leave 1 min jet wash off.

got recommended to me by a friend who owns a body shop.

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
The Gates of Hell (Croydon)
Hi all

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend cleaners for chrome wheels?

I've just bought a set of these:

tsw_catalunya_hyperblack.jpg

As you should be able to see they have dark chrome spokes, with a polished rim. Now I'm not a big fan of cleaning my car - mainly cos I'm lazy as hell... but I'd like to keep these wheels looking nice for as long as possible, and after doing a bit of a search I've read loads of horror stories about the lacquer coming off this type of wheel, which has worried me quite a bit.

I haven't actually fitted the wheels yet (in fact they haven't even been delivered yet), but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to them before I put them on to protect them? Also when it comes to car wash time and I want to clean the wheels, is there a particular technique or particular products I should use?

I've been using AutoGlym Clean Wheels on my current alloys, which seemed to make light work of all the grime - but from what I gather on here, it was probably not a great idea on the old ones, and would be a very bad idea on the new ones... so what's the safest bet (bearing in mind my aversion to hard work ;))?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Megs have a new wheel cleaner out that says it is safe on all wheel types including Chrome.

HOT RIMS ALL WHEEL CLEANER (i havent tried it)

G9524_S.gif

I use the SEAT wheel cleaner on my polished wheels which is really good and not too acidic also - worth a try;)

Rob

Blue Dragoon

Soda Crystals at £1.15 a kg in Tesco's. Mix a few spoons with water, put it in a spray gun and BINGO. It was a tip in VW Driver mag a while ago. Cheap as chips boyo's

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
since this thread was brought back from the dead.......

the previous owner of my car did not clean his wheels once :cry:

so the brake dust damage on the front 2 wheels is pretty bad. lots of black caked on break dust i cannot shift... i have standard 16 inch cupra alloys, i have AG wheel cleaner, it did a good job at first but has not removed much now. :( would love to get my wheels looking as good as the 2 back ones.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
adam

Sounds like Megs Wheel Brightener would be your best bet, if there as bad as that. Wonder Wheels could be worth a try as well.

Blue Dragoon

Bug and Tar remover is good too. A small spot on a cloth works wonders. Look what it does to flies:-o

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members