Wheel Cleaner - What's the best?

Tam Tamster

What's people's opinion on the best wheel cleaner to buy to get all that really old stained crap off the wheels. Clean wheels make the rest of the car look good and I want to get them as good as I can.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Good old Wonder Wheels is good. But be careful how often you use it as it is very strong, also watch out for any slight damage to your alloys, as WW has been known to get under the laquer and speed up the bubbling.

I really like the Blue Rim Wheel Cleaner from Chemical Guy's, it is non acidic and is dilutable to around 4:1 so one bottle makes around 5litres.

Cheers

jetsetjimbo

a.k.a James
Jun 12, 2005
J2 M5
I've used Muck Off (from Halfords) which worked pretty well. I'm also thinking of trying a turtle wax orange / citrus based all purpose cleaner from Wilkos.

Many people recommend a product called P21s Wheel cleaner but I've yet to try it.

You're best to stick with something non acidic - which rules wonder wheels out.

Jonzy

Fairy power spray, I honestly have never seen my wheels as clean as they were after using it. Ive tried everything, but nothing has come close to fairy!

Took 5 mins to clean 1 wheel after 9 weeks of baked on brake dust and dirt. Just wiped off!

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Get them clean then apply a solid type wax. Symonize or something like that. The dirt just falls off then.

Fish

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Meguiar's Wheel Brightener - unlike all the others that just claim to do so, it's a product you can spray on, leave for a minute and then rinse off, leaving your wheels clean.

BUT...

Despite the faint blackcurrant smell and charming purple colour, it's aggressive as hell, comes with a warning list as long as your arm about what it can do to you if you so much as look at it and it's not a good product for using all the time as it will start to cause damage to the wheels over time.

So once I've got the wheels clean with Wheel Brightener, thoroughly rinsed it back off again and made sure they're dry, I use Poorboy's Wheel Sealant to keep things protected. Next time around, 99% of the muck comes off with the hose and a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth gets everything looking spot on again.

Tam Tamster

cheers guys - loads of tips. Now I just have to decide which one to try first! :D

Alice_Cupra

A Dirty Diamond.......
Jan 31, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Another vote for Virisol here.

Very versatile stuff. I use it to clean my:

Alloys
Engine bay
Wheel arch linings
Bath
Shower
Kitchen floor

And you can dilute it down for regular use, so one jerry-can goes miles.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.