where do you plumb your catch tank into

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I dont suppose it matters, i actully thought of re-routing mine to down near my passengerside foglight.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
for the guys that have done this did anyone do the evap n249 and pcv removals? then install tank etc?

just doing this still lol

got from oil filter to a t piece then to the rocker cover and catch tank the from catch tank to the tip?

also thought i'd ask here the servo for the brakes i belive it is (a black saucer on the back on the engine bay) this ok to just re route and take it straight to the mani?

Last edited:

GeorgeF

VW Tech
May 21, 2007
Essex
im doing my catch tank at the weekend? where did ppl mount them and what have u used. somes pics would be great

George

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Ok, so im new to catch tanks and im trying to understand this.

First question, what does TIP stand for?

secondly am i right in thinking that the PCV vents blow-by gasses from the crankcase and head back into the inlet manifold for combustion? the reson for a catch a tank then as i see it is to stop oil residue forming on intake system. im probably wrong but, is it not better then, rather than venting these gasses to the atmosphere, to still redirect them back to the inlet manifold?

cheers :)

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
T.I.P - Turbo Intake/Inlet Pipe its the pipe that connects the air filter to the turbo housing.

Aint sure about what the pcv does but i bassically i did the catch tank to stop oil collecting through my inlet takeing ... i.e t.i.p, turbo intercooler and pipes.

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
im doing my catch tank at the weekend? where did ppl mount them and what have u used. somes pics would be great

George

Only pic ive got of mine atm... its fixed using the bracket it came with and i fixed it to the back of my battery (theres a part that unclips on the back off the battery)

CatchTank.jpg

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
T.I.P - Turbo Intake/Inlet Pipe its the pipe that connects the air filter to the turbo housing.

Aint sure about what the pcv does but i bassically i did the catch tank to stop oil collecting through my inlet takeing ... i.e t.i.p, turbo intercooler and pipes.

i see, cheers. right, so without a catch tank would oil residue collect on the air filter too?? i think the PCV is just a valve that onlt allows airflow out of the crank casing. how is your tank set up then, has it got a breather to atmos?

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
no wont collect on the air filter... if you see in my picture above on the tip you will see a pipe that has been plugged (just to the left of the word forge). this is where it would normally go from the rocker cover ect... mine just breaths out of a long pipe that goes down to the drivers side wing...

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
no wont collect on the air filter... if you see in my picture above on the tip you will see a pipe that has been plugged (just to the left of the word forge). this is where it would normally go from the rocker cover ect... mine just breaths out of a long pipe that goes down to the drivers side wing...

Right i see, so the blow-by isnt recirculated then, just vened out of the engine. would that affect fuel economy?:confused:

Last edited:

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
i'm replacing my inlet manifold tomorrow night to get it sprayed. can i blank off the pipe underneith that whilst its off, without doing the catch tank?
i was wondering if its possible to do that before i get my catch tank installed, whilst the inlet manifold is off you see.

cheers

stani540

Jan 21, 2007
it probably is possibly but i imagine it would chuck oil into the tip as if it where the catch tank (not good)

Last edited:

Mat

sorry for bumping an old thread, but where's the best place to buy a catch tank? Guess any would do, as long as it fits somewhere in the Engine Bay? I do like the look of Philw's and p34ch3y's.

Also, do the tanks come with the pipework needed?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise