Where is the damn oil pressure switch

mortz

Hi All,
Yes it's Mr Problem again....

The Oil pressure light is flashing with that annoying LOUD Beeping !
There is plenty of OIL in the engine.
I bought a new Oil pressure switch yesturday...but do you think I could locate it on the engine ?...............NO

Its a 1.4 MPI later type engine although the Ibiza is a 99 V plate ( twin panel filters ) not the round type............ I bought a new air filter yesturday and it was the wrong friggin one I had a feeling it was the wrong one to begin with !

iolaire

Oil Pressure Light

Hi

Did you ever get this sorted as I have precisely the same problem (same MPI engine) I have a 1.4S W plate Ibiza and wonder about changing the sensor/sender if only I knew where it was...

Regards

iolaire

Sorted, the bl**dy stealers said there was nothing wrong with the car! Pah!

Cheers

iolaire

Oil Pressure Lamp (Again)

Having swapped the oil pressure switch my problem disappeared for a while and has now returned to haunt me...

A friendly mechanic has suggested that I may be suffering from restrictions in the crancase re-breather hose(s) and/or the oil pick up tube. During that recent very frosty spell the engine was coughing oil out of the filler cap and my thoughts were that any emulsion in the system (having a higher water content than pure oil) was freezing solid in the above tubes and stopping the engine from breathing properly.

Oh and I sometimes get a very strong smell of oil in the cabin (coming through the ventilation system)

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
oil spilling out the breather would suggest crankcase compression

do you have anyway to get a compression check done on the car ?

iolaire

I have found out from elsewhere on the internet that there are TWO oil pressure switches (sensors/senders) and I had noticed that the problem only occurs between about 1500rpm and 2000rpm, above and below these revs everything is OK. Problem now is locating the other bl**dy switch. Various people have told me it's on the oil filter housing, VAGCAT diagrams indicate that with power steering it located near the drive belts but I cannot see it anywhere. Nothing wrong with oil level or pressure BTW. The car is W plate (1999/200) SEAT Ibiza 1.4S (MPI) the engine code is AKK. Hope I can get this fixed as I have sorted everything else that the local dealer failed to find/fix... perseverance pay off!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looking at etka itself is a minefield at the best of times when it comes to sensors so i've done some digging about on the aftermarket side and found 4 listed

3 are standard shape/size like this :

50950.jpg

and one is like this :

51166.jpg

not too familiar with the engine personally even though i replaced one once (sorry) but your description for the one near the bets would lead me to think of looking at the crank pulley area for the 2nd one

somewhere in the oil pump possibly ?

115050.png

actually that reminds me - driveforward when he was doing his 1.4 arosa oil gauges had a pic or two of one he found in the block all on its own

ill pester him for a pic

Last edited:

iolaire

Cheers

The one I replaced has the long plastic shroud as shown in the second pic. I'll have a good ferret around with a mirror and a torch, as it's quite a well filled engine bay.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.