Which bike carrier do you us ?

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
I know there is a few bikers on here - what carrier do you use ?

I'm not forking out for a detachable towbar although I know its the best method...

That leaves me with a rear mounted one (they always seem to scratch the car & my Leon mk II FR and indeed all Leons have a spoiler) or roof bars with individual carriers on (which increases mpg and effects performance!)

I'll only be using a dozen times a year so can anyone recommend anything ?

cheers

stevesulsh

MY08FR
Dec 8, 2008
Dublin Ireland
Thule (Swedish I think) are a great make of carrier there will always be some effect to mpg even carried on hatch but I have always preferred roof mounted with front wheel off you still have access to the boot instead of fiddling around with buckles and straps. (always lock bikes to the roof bars and watch out for low entrances into motorway services OOPS I didn't just the once was enough)

BlackMagicLeon

Jun 11, 2008
Hampshire
I went for one of these (with the Leon fitting kit)

img16092005152806.jpg

img03102005110443.jpg

Very solid and rigid on the car and you can still open the boot with it on.. although it does get awkward when you have the weight of the bikes on it.

You do have to be careful that the 'hooks' on the top and bottom lips of the boot are located correctly otherwise it can scratch.. but some extra pads or protective film should sort that out.