Which Dump Valve for Leon Cupra?

Paul_Devon

I know this must have been asked so amny times before but I'm new to all this. Ive just bought a 2002 Leon Cupra. I want to change the dump valve as you cant hear it in the slightest. I don't want mega loud but I want something that you can hear from outside. What do people recommend? Ive heard people mentioning the forge one but can this be heard from outside?

Sorry about not knowing anything but as I say, I'm new to all this and only just bought the car.

Many thanks
Paul

k11jrp

old and wiser
It wont be herd from the outside, the dump valve on Leon's are not the whoooosh type, the only time you may hear it is with a remap, even then its not loud. Stand out from the rest mate and be stealth. Yes Forge are the popular ones, something like the forge 007p will do the trick.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
wooshy valves don't work - well, thats the common knowledge and comment anyway.

There is a slight exception to that rule - but its still being looked at by a lot of people. HKS SSQV BOV's have been known to work on LC's but not LCR's.... but its a risk. Do a search for more info.

Cupra-Matt

Feb 12, 2005
Notts
What actually happens if you use an atmospheric valve on a 1.8 20vt engine?

Reason I ask is that not oneperson I know who owns a golf, a3, a4, octy, beeza, leon etc. with an atmo. dump valve has had probs.

I myself use a forge 007p but was just asking. Before you flame me

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Cupra-Matt said:
What actually happens if you use an atmospheric valve on a 1.8 20vt engine?

Reason I ask is that not oneperson I know who owns a golf, a3, a4, octy, beeza, leon etc. with an atmo. dump valve has had probs.

I myself use a forge 007p but was just asking. Before you flame me

Because this guy knows more than all of your mates put together on the subject

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=107507&postcount=57

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Cupra-Matt said:

I'm assuming that none of those people that you know use these forums then... as I'm almost 99% certain that the cars on here don't have atmos on - other than a couple of knowledgeable people who have been experimenting for a LONG time.

Have a search on here - try the terms "wooshy" "dump valve" "atmos" and "BOV" and I'm sure you'll have weeks of reading :)

I know its contradictory of me to now say this, but I'm TRIALING a BOV on my Leon Cupra in the near future (i hope) - a particular unit thats been known to work for a few people before. Long term damage though? No idea.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Pabs said:
other than a couple of knowledgeable people who have been experimenting for a LONG time.

I don't know of anyone truly knowledgable running one long term. Not based on Max-Torque's explaination of what happens when you release air post maf.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
MarkE said:
Where's Jason with that pic then you need him? :whistle:

Why are you bothered what your car sounds like from the outside? :confused:
today this is more apppropriate
hinewb7xu.jpg

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
m0rk said:
I don't know of anyone truly knowledgable running one long term. Not based on Max-Torque's explaination of what happens when you release air post maf.

Sorry mate, what I meant was experiementing with LOTS of different valves for a long time - not actually running the same valve for a long period. You know the people I speak of anyway - Robdon at least. Craig, v-g and a couple of others you might not know of.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I appreciate that Paul, but.... when you read stuff like this:

Now it is extremely diffucult for an untrained observer to spot these effects as they occur mainly on throttle transients, when the average drive may not notice. Therefore you could say "why do i care?". Well, any AFR excursion from the intended fuelling set by the manufacturer will result in non-standard engine operation. because of the adaptives this is unlikely to cause immediate engine problems, but over the course of time will change things like catalyst ageing, exhaust and turbo charger valve durability etc.

None of these are cheap to replace....

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
No, totally understood mate. But how many people on here would really care about something they *MAY* never see - they'd probably sell the car on before a problem appeared? who knows. And then who could pinpoint the issue to be the DV all along, and not just wear and tear?
I must admit the golf's seem to get away with it... but I suppose they are different in some areas?

EDIT: Its like a remap isnt it - you will put more strain on certain engine components, but people still do it. I think it'd be very hard to proove that it was the remap, dv or whatever that caused the problems... people could have knowledgable guesses/ideas, but nobody would be certain.

Last edited:

ice maiden

Stretch79 said:
if you really want to hear the pppsssstttt noise then get an inducton kit something like the carbonio one youll get the noise then!

Then people will think you have one of those fake Dump valve kits on your car

I have a forge 007 and it does make a slightly wooshier noise i guess, but since putting the induction kit on it sounds like darth vadar is under the bonnett!!!

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
There's nothing like a nice warm welcome for newbie's is there.... :doh: :runaway:

Paul - As other say above above, if you want something noisier get an induction kit and either a Stratmosphere re-circ valve or a Forge 007p recirc valve. Should do the trick and not give you any grief. Welcome by the way!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise