Which fuel?

stevo72

Feb 3, 2007
cambridge
430 from a 1.8t??? how the hell do you do that?

if i use 95 it pulls the timing back tons and runs poorly.

430 from 50litres approx works out at 39mpg approx.... if you get that consistently running 95 ron on 1.8t please share how

I know couldnt believe it myself, i have moved work , used to go through lanes , 3rd,4th,5th gears, brake, accel, brake accel, but now, its main roads all the way and apart from the odd roundabout / junction is 6th gr, stead 50/55 all the way 30miles each way.

I was well impressed when I filled up the tank to see how much i can get on this new route to work! mind you i am doing silly miles week, so even though i seem to be having good mileage ( this is with me being very sensible on the right foot, gently braking etc ) i am still doing around 500 miles a week, so costs ££££ a month.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Shell V power 99 pukka gear, all i use.
Never see more than 34mpg though, but I like a blast here and there.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Shell V power 99 pukka gear, all i use.
Never see more than 34mpg though, but I like a blast here and there.

Dec 19, 2006
Had my lc mapped at Jabbasport taking into account that I use tesco 99 ron fuel it returned good results both performance and in mpg most I've seen from a tank regularly was 384 during summer months and in winter around 325 mpg. on a good motorway run I'd see over 40 mpg but that's never going faster then 70 mph, just filled up today and got 311 miles out the tank that's from motorway, countyrside and town driving with a good few blasts. Never had problems with tesco fuel and that's what my car seems to like so will continue to use it ;-)

only ever used v-power in my LCR

and my max return on a full tank has been 330

i however suffer from the occasional bit of "leadfootitis"

max mpg i've ever managed was 36mpg and that was on the drive back from south wales when i got the car

Teasy

Sep 1, 2007
Middlesbrough
I've used Tesco Super Unleaded & Shell V Power and I can't tell the difference.....but Tesco is cheaper.....and you get Tesco points!!! :whistle:
PS......When I first got mine I was using Morrisons unleaded and it ran like John Waynes mule :censored:

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
i only use v power in mine, its getting silly though the amount it is

over the weekend i was stuck in the middle of know where, & had to use supermarket fuel :( i put super stuff in but still felt bad

why can't there be a shell garage around when you need one

midgetgem

Jul 20, 2006
Carlisle
has anyone used sainsbury's super? I don't have a tesco near me and v-power is 130+ in preston at the mo and don't want to run my LC on 95 ron

Last edited:

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
In a 350z it was generally agreed that the extra mpg u would gain would offset the extra cost. Does anyone notice if this is similar with the cupras? Always runs much smoother and is certainly faster on the premium stuff but just wondered if there's a marked improvement on the mpg as well?

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
while Tesco might have a high RON, it's really poor quality petrol, and I wouldn't recommend it. Go for one of the supers from the brands, it's much better. There's at least one post on here about someone who's had major engine trouble with supermarket fuel, and Tesco are the worst.

How do you know what is the "worst" petrol have you done some sort of engine wear test or a quality test im just wondering, or is it like tescos sells cheap things therfore there feul must be crap ?

Just asking because i have seen several tests carried out that prove tescos petrol to produce more bhp and to run smoother than V power.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
How do you know what is the "worst" petrol have you done some sort of engine wear test or a quality test im just wondering, or is it like tescos sells cheap things therfore there feul must be crap ?

Just asking because i have seen several tests carried out that prove tescos petrol to produce more bhp and to run smoother than V power.

Got any links? I'd be interested to read some of those.

At the moment I'm using V-Power. I did notice after the first tank or so that the car suddenly felt that bit quicker and snappier on the throttle. Did a bit more reading on here (there's loads of threads on this if you search) and a few people do say that if the car has been run on regular 95ron unleaded then you go to 98 or 99ron stuff it will take the ECU about a tank or two to adjust to burning better fuel.

Not sure about the effect on mpg cos the car (LCR 225) is still new to me so I'm still driving it like there's no tomorrow :p That said, I took my folks out for a run in the country at the weekend so was driving more conservatively than normal and afterwards the trip computer said I'd averaged 36.8 mpg. I guess even with an LCR225 if you're careful you can get decent mpg.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
According to Which?, if your car's model-specific handbook, or sticker on inside of the fuel flap, recommends 95RON, then there's no point in using any type of super-unleaded (be it Sainsbury's or V-Power), cos the ECU is not setup for higher octanes.

However, if the fuel-flap sticker says 98RON, then you'll get a few more BHP & MPG, & improved throttle-response, from 98+ super-unleaded.

Seem to remember a recent-ish post by Willie, saying he's always used Shell Optimax/V-Power, & a quality fully-syn oil, in his LCR & that he had his engine oil analysed - it came back with a 'clean' report. Food for thought re Shell's engine-cleaning claims for V-Power?

Slightly off-topic, but the Telegraph's used-car guru (only reason to read the rag, IMHO), 'Honest John', reports: "[VAG] FSIs are proving to be petrol sensitive. Best run on 99 Ron Shell V-Power Super. Head problems reported at 4 years old if not run on high octane petrol. May also suffer failed lambda probes (two at £200 each) and failed cat converters as a result." Interestingly, there's a chance that my LCR (I know it's not a FSI) might have lambda probe issues - even though it passed its Jan MOT & there's no dash warning light - & my car hasn't always used 99RON. Hmm...

Last edited:

aaronjules

i have also heard of engines going pop on tesco fuel, i dnt touch it. i use shell v-power, im averaging 260miles a tank and i have a very heavy foot!!! (leon cupra);) i thought this was good as i was only getting 180-200miles max out of my mondeo v6

Last edited by a moderator:

smithsc

Nov 2, 2009
Huddersfield
How bad is this i have never used anything but 95ron but i have been told as my LC is mapped i should really be using the "super" stuff. I'm getting my timing belt, water pump changed tonight and she's low on fuel so gonna fill her up on the good go go juice and see what the difference is. A friend of mine said i should run it for 30mins on the new fuel to get it in the system then disconnect the earth on the battery for 30mins connect it back and the ECU will then relearn and configure the car to the new fuel is this correct