Which fuel?

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
doubt you will notice any huge gains mate. higher ron fuel wont give you any more power.

The higher the Ron number (research octane number) the more resistant it is to pre detonation that comes with forced induction cars. Basically its more stable than regular 95. They also have alot of cleaning additives that if used consistently can help to improve performance.

it wont be anything noticeable tho, in the grans scheme of things im not sure its vital in uk cars. I come from driving Jap import turbos that are mapped to 100ron from the factory, not for the performance but more due to the fact that the climate in japan is more humid so they need a higher ron fuel to work more efficiently.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
LC (apart from AUQ) and LCR are recommended to use 98 RON fuel out of the box. Lower octane rated fuel will work, but the knock sensors will retard the ignition timing, reducing both power output and fuel economy.

The ECU needs a couple of tanks to detect that the fuel quality has changed and make adjustments. You won't see a difference as soon as you change fuel, and even one tank isn't enough.

Remapping almost always increases the tendency to pre-ignition and so needs higher octane petrol.

In a forced-induction engine, best fuel economy is not gained by keeping off the boost. In very general terms, best fuel economy is got by keeping in as high a gear as possible and as close to the torque peak as possible. Torque peak comes after the turbo comes on song to increase the boost. The turbo increases the engines efficiency by improving the compression ratio, so on-turbo is always going to be better than off-turbo at the low rev end.

so i can just fill her up and she will learn

ye pretty much, i have heard somewhere before that disconnecting the battery will make the relearn so you dont have to wait, but im not sure maybe it just does a throttle body reset? certainly you can feel the difference whatever it does.

using thew higher quality of fuel will help to look after your engine in the long run, but as others have said i wouldnt expect to be suddenly faster.

the time that i put low ron in mine led to jerky driving, the car still went when flooring it but under moderate acceleration it was not smooth at all, didnt have my liquid race gauge at the time so cant say if it did affect top end driving but certainly you could tell the car didn't like the fuel.

keep the octanes up where they are meant to be mate

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
LC (apart from AUQ) and LCR are recommended to use 98 RON fuel out of the box. Lower octane rated fuel will work, but the knock sensors will retard the ignition timing, reducing both power output and fuel economy.

The ECU needs a couple of tanks to detect that the fuel quality has changed and make adjustments. You won't see a difference as soon as you change fuel, and even one tank isn't enough.

Remapping almost always increases the tendency to pre-ignition and so needs higher octane petrol.

In a forced-induction engine, best fuel economy is not gained by keeping off the boost. In very general terms, best fuel economy is got by keeping in as high a gear as possible and as close to the torque peak as possible. Torque peak comes after the turbo comes on song to increase the boost. The turbo increases the engines efficiency by improving the compression ratio, so on-turbo is always going to be better than off-turbo at the low rev end.

What he said :) As a recent convert to V-Power I can say it did take my car (stock, unmapped LCR) about a tank and a half to feel different after switching to the better fuel but it is noticeable, not huge but tangible difference in response and acceleration. Also the fact that you know you're getting the most from your car.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
There are other machines out there apart from Vag-Com that will do a throttle reset although disconnecting the battery won't don it.

Philz0r

when i drove a silvia i did alot of research into this.

if u swap to V-power or 97ron+(after using normal unleaded) it takes about 500-1000miles before your car will feel any different. it cleans the tank and fuel lines out and the car itself starts to get used to the cleaner fuel and makes it run more efficient.

so basically dont expect to feel the difference in 1 fill up of the higher fuel. u need to use it for awhile before your car can really respond to it.

on another note, this may not help anyone in here but im gonna say it anyways since were on the topic.

if u run a diesel on very low fuel you suck all the rubbish through your engine and even after u fill up the muck is still blocking ur fuel lines. if this happens i surjest you use V-power (or equivilant) for awhile just to clean out your engine, and because a standard diesel really doesnt benifit from higher fuels, after it feels to be running smoothly swap back to your standard fuel. i surjest using the higher fuels for a couple months a year, 1 in jan and other in june,

this is just my opinion by the way from what ive found out personally.

hope it helps

A proper TB reset can ONLY be done via VAG-COM and not battery disconnect. :)

i did say perhaps, and as the other gent has said you can use things other than vag com, my liquid race diagnostic tool does it for example.

i dont know what it is that disconnecting the battery does, but it does something! dont believe me than try it yourself and report back :birdy:

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Yep know there is more than just VAG-Com was just using it as an example to get across fact that battery wouldn't reset TB. Its a common misconecption that's all and seems to get bounded around alot.... :)
Just trying to help. :D

Last edited:
Yep know there is more than just VAG-Com was just using it as an example to get across fact that battery wouldn't reset TB. Its a common misconecption that's all and seems to get bounded around alot.... :)
Just trying to help. :D

sorry mate read back my post and realised it maybe sounds rude, was going for tongue in cheek :fool:

iv being doing searching though and other than people making it quite clear that disconnecting the battery does not reset the TB i cant find an explination as to why the car feels/drives differently.

if anyone knows ...

in the meantime original poster looks like youl just have to run a tank or 2 before you see any benefits :D

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
sorry mate read back my post and realised it maybe sounds rude, was going for tongue in cheek :fool:

iv being doing searching though and other than people making it quite clear that disconnecting the battery does not reset the TB i cant find an explination as to why the car feels/drives differently.

if anyone knows ...

in the meantime original poster looks like youl just have to run a tank or 2 before you see any benefits :D

resetting ecu will clear any parameters the ecu has learned that may be not right, i.e you may have a slight running issue the ecu has picked up, resetting clears this thus making the car feel better, or say if you have been doing lots of town driving the adaptive ecu will learn this, resetting and doing out of town a road/b road thrash the ecu will relearn this and alter parameters accordingly to the style of driving your doing whivh will again make it feel better.

but as an adaptive ecu the me7 will learn values again if you re do town driving for example.

Kartracer69

Jul 18, 2009
I have a mapped LCR 225 and I do notice a difference between 95 and 99 now, almost can't explain but it feels a bit odd like its struggling to open up, so Tesco or V-Power for me.

I drive 19 miles each way to work, through speccs 50mph on the M25 and then M4, and cruising in 6th I regularly see 40mpg daily.

And all this talk about cheap shitty fuel etc... I used to work for Total head office in the fuel department, they ALL buy their fuel from the oil depot and then take it to the forecourts, tesco's etc don't actually have the ability or technical know-how to alter fuel they have, so tesco 95 / bp / shell they are the same fuel, it's all psychological which can be very convincing.

I have a mapped LCR 225 and I do notice a difference between 95 and 99 now, almost can't explain but it feels a bit odd like its struggling to open up, so Tesco or V-Power for me.

I drive 19 miles each way to work, through speccs 50mph on the M25 and then M4, and cruising in 6th I regularly see 40mpg daily.

And all this talk about cheap shitty fuel etc... I used to work for Total head office in the fuel department, they ALL buy their fuel from the oil depot and then take it to the forecourts, tesco's etc don't actually have the ability or technical know-how to alter fuel they have, so tesco 95 / bp / shell they are the same fuel, it's all psychological which can be very convincing.

bp ultimate is only 97 ron though isnt it? so they must source/refine their own fuel?

resetting ecu will clear any parameters the ecu has learned that may be not right, i.e you may have a slight running issue the ecu has picked up, resetting clears this thus making the car feel better, or say if you have been doing lots of town driving the adaptive ecu will learn this, resetting and doing out of town a road/b road thrash the ecu will relearn this and alter parameters accordingly to the style of driving your doing whivh will again make it feel better.

but as an adaptive ecu the me7 will learn values again if you re do town driving for example.

ah see, well that makes sense i guess! so use vagcom or liquid to reset TB and reset the ecu parameters before a track thrash:D

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Used v-power for 2 years in my LCR runs very well on it would never go to regular unleaded again Its true you need at least 500-1000 miles till you feel the difference well worth the wait.

Only annoying thing is it costs £1.22 a litre at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but ide still pay it!!!!!

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Whats different about the AUQ engine's, only asking as 90% of LC's have this engine.

Nothing different with the recommendation, Muttley is incorrect. Standard AUQ will only see 180bhp from 98RON fuel. Look inside the fuel filler flap and it will say 98/95RON. 98 is first for a good reason and it states in the manual that the car wil run with reduced performance on 95RON fuel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.