Which model Mk2 Toldeo to go for?!?

Blue-Mike

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Toledo in the next couple of months and a little undecided on the one to go for and was after a few pointers really :)

I'm torn between the 1.9TDi Sport (150bhp) and the 2.3 V5. The mpg of the VAG diesel is impressive and the power gains that can be achieved are very tempting as I only ever hear good things of the 1.9. What I was wondering is can some the equipment that is found in the V5 such as the half leather interior, SatNav, electric folding mirrors, dual climate control, trip computer etc be found in the 1.9 Sport or is it exclusive for the V5?

Cheers :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
This TDI club post from 2001 summarises the standard fit and options for the TDI 150.

Electric folding mirrors, climate control (not dual) and trip computer are all standard fit. I didn't think dual zone climate control was available on the Mk.2 Toledo?

The half leather interior can be fitted: it was fitted to mine by a previous owner. The driver's seat memory doesn't work (you'd need the convenience module from the donor car, I think), but everything else does.

Cruise control is not standard on the Sports model but can be retrofitted, and again that has been done to mine by a previous owner. All you need is the stalk with the switchs and for the function to be turned on using VCDS or a dealer's diagnostic computer.

I believe the Seat Sat Nav can be fitted, but nowadays you would get better functionality from a third party device.

Look at the "Replacing a Toledo" thread in this section for some pictures of mine :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
To confirm Muttley's post, the Mark 2 didn't get dual zone, I have a suspicion it was one of the people carrier sized cars to get that first (Alhambra I think?). Totally agree about the satnav, really not worth spending money on retrofitting it. The half leather seats can be fitted, don't even worry about the memory as I've used mine probably twice now!

The diesel does have some 'typical' faults, the V5 have others. Research which ones you want to be fixing on what is going to be approaching ten year old car. For example, I carry coilpacks in my boot due to their (fairly) regular failure.

The V5 will be the cheaper of the two to buy, but definitely the more expensive to run. Higher tax and obviously higher fuel consumption both go against the V5.

But I have no regrets about getting my V5, and I think I've only heard one person speak badly against a V5. Of course, that particular one sounded like it suddenly decided to completely self destruct!

Phillips1795

May 17, 2010
Corby - Northamptonshire
I would personally avoid the PD150 engine as I've heard they have bad cams.

I have a 1.9 TDi SE 110 remapped to 130 on a stage one and its great on fuel. Car says I'm getting 57.2MPG and thats running between 70 - 85MPH.

So if you got a 130 i would imagine if you get it mapped on a stage one you would get about 170bhp out of it and still have the great fuel economy of a diesel.

Mine came with some of which you mentioned. ALL STANDARD.

CRUISE CONTROL
HEATED WING MIRRORS
ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRRORS
CLIMATE CONTROL
TRIP COMPUTER
6 DISC CD CHANGER

Now my bad bits. Things that have gone wrong on mine. Ive had the car 3 years now on 120K

FRONT SPRING BRAKE
BRAKE CABLE GO
TRACK ROD END THE BUSH WENT ALL LOOSE
DRY JOINTS ON DRIVERS SIDE LOCKING MECHANISM

DOORS SILLS LEAK (NEVER LETS WATER IN THE CAR BUT WHEN ITS BEEN RAINING AND YOU OPEN THE DOOR LOTS OF WATER RUNS OUT.

All of the above were fixed with ease (Not the sills) as I did them myself. Just a few things you may want to keep and eye out for.

As far as the TDI against the V5 I would suggest it all comes down to what driving you do? Long distance or around town.

Cheers :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Don't forget the 1.8T Toledo with 180bhp. Hugely underated car, and normally very cheap.

Can be economical, far moreso than the V5 ever could dream of.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't forget the 1.8T Toledo with 180bhp. Hugely underated car, and normally very cheap.

Can be economical, far moreso than the V5 ever could dream of.

As the 1.8t came out towards the end of the toledo's life i never found them that cheap. They are cheaper than the same engine in a similar year Leon, but compared to a V5 there was definitely a premium.

I'll give you the fuel economy though, a tankful at 40 mpg was the best I could hope for, and that was some boring a$$ driving! :D 22mpg out of a tankful was my lowest for round town driving.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
They used to be about 60% of the Leon's price when I last looked two years ago

Oh definitely, as I said comparing like for like between the Toledo and Leon always had the Toledo being cheaper due to the 'not-a-hatchback' factor. But you still pay more than you would for the V5.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Phillips1795 wrote

I would personally avoid the PD150 engine as I've heard they have bad cams.

Some PD owners have had cams and followers wear out requiring replacement, an expensive fix. Depending on who you talk to the problem is caused by either a batch of faulty camshafts, not hardened properly, or failure to use the correct oil. I believe the latter to be more likely, which is why full service history is important for any PD car. The problem afflicts both the PD 130 and 150. If it sounds tappety on startup, avoid.

Mine came with some of which you mentioned. ALL STANDARD.

CRUISE CONTROL
HEATED WING MIRRORS
ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRRORS
CLIMATE CONTROL
TRIP COMPUTER
6 DISC CD CHANGER

The SE fit includes all of those, my last car was a TDI 110 SE. The TDI 150 comes with the Sport fit, less toys inside but much improved suspension.

Now my bad bits. Things that have gone wrong on mine. Ive had the car 3 years now on 120K

FRONT SPRING BRAKE
BRAKE CABLE GO

Not sure I understand this?

TRACK ROD END THE BUSH WENT ALL LOOSE

At 120K this is just wear over the lifetime of the car

DRY JOINTS ON DRIVERS SIDE LOCKING MECHANISM

An irritating fault common across all the Golf Mk.4 platform cars.

DOORS SILLS LEAK (NEVER LETS WATER IN THE CAR BUT WHEN ITS BEEN RAINING AND YOU OPEN THE DOOR LOTS OF WATER RUNS OUT.

Check that the drain holes in the bottom of the door are clear. If they are, this sounds like the common door seal problem, which is easy to fix, and it's worth doing this before water starts getting inside the car.

As far as the TDI against the V5 I would suggest it all comes down to what driving you do? Long distance or around town.

The TDI 150 has three glowplugs in the coolant circuit to help the car get up to temperature quickly, so its fuel consumption should be less affected by short journeys. It's also got a water-cooled EGR system, which should reduce the other well-known fault of high mileage TDI's, inlet clogging and EGR sticking.

Blue-Mike

Cheers for the input guys! The 130 did tempt me a little yeah but then saw the 150.. :p I suppose you could always source the suspension components at a later date if I really wanted..

Driving I do is mainly town driving with the occasional motorway run.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Cheers for the input guys! The 130 did tempt me a little yeah but then saw the 150.. :p I suppose you could always source the suspension components at a later date if I really wanted..

Driving I do is mainly town driving with the occasional motorway run.

As Muttley hinted at, you're looking at a suspension overhaul with a Mark 2 Toledo whichever one you go for. Average miles will be close to 100k even for the youngest ones, which is too long for shock absorbers and bushes. On the other hand, because they're the mark 4 platform, the choice is immense, and only the rear bushes can be a bit of an SOB to do. All other bushes and shocks are well within the abilities of a decent DIYer. So budget for it, but don't budget too much, and don't worry if the car feels 'woolly'.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Let me say that I have just lost my 70K miles TDI 110 SE and replaced it with an 80K miles TDI 150 Sport, and the difference is astonishing. The ride is firm but comfortable and roll in corners is not intrusive. I'm not detecting any significant suspension difficulties, and would replace the dampers with OEM spec, not look for any aftermarket improvement. The only bushes showing any sign of wear are the ARB bushes at the front.

Mind you, I haven't done any serious test driving over really twisty bits yet, weather and the time of year are conspiring against me.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
The PD150 engine is reliable, tough, and the best of the TDi's. My Leon PD150 was Revo'd at 5k miles and I sold it with 98k miles on without a moments trouble (see the link in my sig for more on that car). It was an awesome car mid-range and had loads of punch that kept many a so called "quicker" car honest, if not beaten by the massive torques!! The cam issue only seemed to affect some of the earlier PD150's and given the age, I'd bet that they've all been filtered out by now. You do need to stick to the proper spec oil and the service schedules, but that's the same for any car in my view. If you intend to remap it, you will end up doing the clutch too. If not immediately, within a few months and you have to do it properly with an upgraded item costing you about £800 or so all in.

My Tolly is the 20VT Sport with the AUQ 180BHP 1.8T engine. Its the same as the Leon Cupra and the Skoda Octy VRS (Mk1). Handling is OK, but you'd probably end up renewing the shocks and springs anyhow given the cars' age (diesel or petrol model). Few down sides to tuning it if any, some known issues with wiring to the coilpacks, the coilpacks themselves and that's about it really. All easily sorted though.

Having owned a Golf V5 (170bhp) all I can say is that its a wonderful smooth engine, nice and powerful, but you pay at the pumps with 23mpg around town and about 28mpg on a motorway cruise with 4 aboard at 90mph. I don't think the V5 engine is good enough to warrant the thirst - but that's just my opinion. Its also very limited for tuning options and power increases.

I'd rather take a tuned 1.8T and lighter fuel consumption and lower intial purchase price. If purchase price isn't an issue, I'd buy the PD150. The V5 wouldn't be on my list.

ironside

Dec 8, 2006
I have had a V5,which if fuel & insurance were not a problem i would have again without hesitation ,there cant be many better cars for the money at the moment,-they are sooo cheap,with all the toys inc,i did test drive a 1.8t sport but the fuel & ins didnt look much better,-there do seem to be a few for sale at the moment,back in the real world i have just gone for a 150 sport,ok the interior isnt as nice as the V5 but can be changed as discussed,it certainly dosnt sound like the V5 (but what does!) but it goes like stink and is doing about twice as much as the V5 per tankfull,and to cap it all is loads cheaper than the eqivalant Leon ,and i actually prefer the looks too!
Its the only one too go for,-finding one is the problem!

Regards

Dave

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members