Wheel size help for base model MK3

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Hey guys!

Apologies if this has already been asked before, this entire ''Fitment'' thing is completely new to me.

I'm in the market for some new wheels and was hoping to get some insight/guidance in the process.

I have a stock Leon ST face-lift from 2016 with stock suspension. I have tried looking around online but the majority of information I found was for FR's/Cupras not so much on the base models.

I believe the stock rims I am currently running are 16s but I want to go up to 18 & my biggest confusion is in regards to the ET/off-set. I am not 100% certain on what the current ET is but the front wheel is basically flush with the arch cover, whereas the rear wheel is basically inside of the wheel arch which I hate.

Based on other threads the majority of FR users are being suggested ET 35/40 would I be able to run those too on my base model? I know the FR is lowered from the factory already whereas the base model isn't.

The look I am hoping to eventually achieve is where the rear wheel/tire sits flush with the cover. Does anyone own a base model ST or has knowledge of what I can run? Any help or recommendation is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
For reference, current setup:

Rear wheel:

rear wheel.jpg

Front wheel:

front wheel.jpg

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Fitting 18" wheels to your car will worsen the ride & the tyres will cost more. I assume you are doing it just for the look.

My FR has the optional 225/40 tyres on 18" wheels but I prefer it on the 225/45 tyres on 17" wheels I use in winter.

I did consider 205/55 on 16" wheels (as on youe car?) for the winter but got a good deal on the 17s.

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Fitting 18" wheels to your car will worsen the ride & the tyres will cost more. I assume you are doing it just for the look.

My FR has the optional 225/40 tyres on 18" wheels but I prefer it on the 225/45 tyres on 17" wheels I use in winter.

I did consider 205/55 on 16" wheels (as on youe car?) for the winter but got a good deal on the 17s.

I appreciate the response & feedback! Yeah I'm mainly just doing it for the overall look/aesthetics. By worsen do you mean the overall riding quality? I saw a comparison video a while back where they did indeed mention that the ride feels a lot ''rougher'' on 18s compared to the 16s/17s they also benchmarked.

Would you say it's a considerable difference between the 18s you ran prior, and the 17s you have currently? If it's a huge difference in ride-quality I might just consider getting 17s instead as it's my daily and I might regret going over looks instead of comfort down the line.

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
This may help: the factory wheel & tyre specs for all the Leon 5F ST models.
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/seat/leon/2016/
To help you 'see' what effect a different offset wheel will have, you can also use this:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Ah this is fantastic, I'm going to have to try and figure out how to find the current ET as I noticed there's 3 different ones they did for the 16 inch rims but this will for sure help me out a lot! Very much appreciate the help! :)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I appreciate the response & feedback! Yeah I'm mainly just doing it for the overall look/aesthetics. By worsen do you mean the overall riding quality? I saw a comparison video a while back where they did indeed mention that the ride feels a lot ''rougher'' on 18s compared to the 16s/17s they also benchmarked.

Would you say it's a considerable difference between the 18s you ran prior, and the 17s you have currently? If it's a huge difference in ride-quality I might just consider getting 17s instead as it's my daily and I might regret going over looks instead of comfort down the line.
Can’t comment on the difference between changing from 17” to 18” on a Leon. However, tyre choice can make a considerable difference to ride comfort.

My last car (2016 VW Polo GTI) had 17” alloys and 215/40 R17 Bridgestone tyres from the factory. I changed the alloys and tyres (same size and spec); replacement tyres were Conti Sport Contact and the ride wasn’t as firm as it was with Bridgestone tyres. Similarly with my current car (2020 VW Polo GTI+) which came from the factory with 18” alloys and 225/40 R18 Bridgestone tyres, I changed the alloys and tyres - again same size and spec as the factory set up - this time the replacement tyres are Michelin PS4 and I’d say they give a more compliant ride than the ‘rock hard’ Bridgestones did.

So if you choose your tyres wisely, it’ll offset some of the effect of changing to a lower profile. Lots of customer reviews of different brands and sizes of tyres on www.tyrereviews.com

Reactions: Azizo

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Ah this is fantastic, I'm going to have to try and figure out how to find the current ET as I noticed there's 3 different ones they did for the 16 inch rims but this will for sure help me out a lot! Very much appreciate the help! :)
Your wheels will have the part number, size and ET cast into one of the spokes - you'll need to take a wheel off the car to check.

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Can’t comment on the difference between changing from 17” to 18” on a Leon. However, tyre choice can make a considerable difference to ride comfort.

My last car (2016 VW Polo GTI) had 17” alloys and 215/40 R17 Bridgestone tyres from the factory. I changed the alloys and tyres (same size and spec); replacement tyres were Conti Sport Contact and the ride wasn’t as firm as it was with Bridgestone tyres. Similarly with my current car (2020 VW Polo GTI+) which came from the factory with 18” alloys and 225/40 R18 Bridgestone tyres, I changed the alloys and tyres - again same size and spec as the factory set up - this time the replacement tyres are Michelin PS4 and I’d say they give a more compliant ride than the ‘rock hard’ Bridgestones did.

So if you choose your tyres wisely, it’ll offset some of the effect of changing to a lower profile. Lots of customer reviews of different brands and sizes of tyres on www.tyrereviews.com

Thank you so much for your detailed personal experience, I'm honestly so overwhelmed by the possibilities out there but answers like these truly do make the entire journey a lot easier!

I honestly hadn't even factored in the effect that a tire has up until now, I will thoroughly check out the tyrereviews website before I make a decision on as to what rim I will eventually go with most likely, it sounds silly saying it out loud now but I somehow convinced myself that tires were nowhere near as ''important'' as the rims themselves but tires can truly be the deciding factor.

Thank you again very much

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Your wheels will have the part number, size and ET cast into one of the spokes - you'll need to take a wheel off the car to check.

Ah! I honestly had no idea and I've owned this car for nearly a year haha! Thank you very much, I'll have to see if I can get an appointment made here so I can look into the ET. Very much appreciated 🙏

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Appreciate all the help and information I was given! I definitely feel like I'm more knowledgeable now compared to before I made this post. I'll continue doing some research through all the tools and websites I have been provided with. Cheers!

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Appreciate all the help and information I was given! I definitely feel like I'm more knowledgeable now compared to before I made this post. I'll continue doing some research through all the tools and websites I have been provided with. Cheers!
No problem, that is what a forum like this is for (y)
Let us know how you get on with this.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Azizo; as @Seriously? has said, helping other forum members - and sharing knowledge and information - is what the forum is all about.

To save you the trouble of taking a wheel off your car to find the size / offset details, I’ve done some research. I’m pretty certain your existing alloys are these;

5503A487-4A33-4FF6-8C55-B3F911E7072D.jpeg

Style; Seat Design 30/1
Part no.; 5F0601025A.
Size; 6.5J x 16”
Offset; ET46
Tyre size; 205/55 R16

I did a search on the part number to get the above spec information.

When you’ve found a set of 18” alloys you’re interested in buying, you can use the size, offset and tyre size information above to input into the calculator on www.willtheyfit.com website, along with the equivalent information for your chosen 18” alloys and the calculator will give you the important clearance differences between your existing wheel / tyres set up and your proposed new set up.

Hope the above is useful 🙂.

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
No problem, that is what a forum like this is for (y)
Let us know how you get on with this.
I really appreciate that! I'm so glad I stumbled upon the forum, everyone's been so kind and helpful so far!

Absolutely! I'll keep you all updated on the process 😊

Last edited:

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
@Azizo; as @Seriously? has said, helping other forum members - and sharing knowledge and information - is what the forum is all about.

To save you the trouble of taking a wheel off your car to find the size / offset details, I’ve done some research. I’m pretty certain your existing alloys are these;

View attachment 33415

Style; Seat Design 30/1
Part no.; 5F0601025A.
Size; 6.5J x 16”
Offset; ET46
Tyre size; 205/55 R16

I did a search on the part number to get the above spec information.

When you’ve found a set of 18” alloys you’re interested in buying, you can use the size, offset and tyre size information above to input into the calculator on www.willtheyfit.com website, along with the equivalent information for your chosen 18” alloys and the calculator will give you the important clearance differences between your existing wheel / tyres set up and your proposed new set up.

Hope the above is useful 🙂.
This day just keeps getting better and better! This is amazing, thank you so much! The fact that you took the time out of your day to provide me with all of this information. Absolutely incredible!

Yes, this will 100% come in useful, not only have I been saved a trip to the local garage but I was handed every bit of information and all the recourses needed in order to now confidently start browsing for some new rims/wheels now! I'm super excited and can't wait to see what's in store for my little Leon thanks to all of you! :)

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
Thank you again everyone! I was a little hesitant at first making this thread and looking like a complete ''newbie'' which to be fair I am haha but instead of ridicule I received nothing but extreme kindness & helpfulness.

If any of you ever find your way to Sweden I'll treat you all to a pint! :)

Thank you for going above & beyond for me!

Will keep all of you posted on the progress! :)

Reactions: Seriously?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Azizo remember that the ET in isolation is not the only consideration. You also need to include the rim width (in inches) with the corresponding ET eg 6.5J = 6.5" width. OEM 16" rims will be 6.5", but OEM 18" rims are 7.5J and Cupra 19" alloys 8J. This will also impact the width of tyres fitted eg 205 = 6.5J; 225 = 7.5J; 235 = 8J.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
If any of you ever find your way to Sweden I'll treat you all to a pint! :)
Having been to Sweden a couple of times many years ago and having nearly had heart failure when seeing how much my hotel bar bill was :eek:, that is an extremely generous offer :LOL::LOL:
Best you save your money to buy the upgrades you want for your car!

• Haha

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
@Azizo remember that the ET in isolation is not the only consideration. You also need to include the rim width (in inches) with the corresponding ET eg 6.5J = 6.5" width. OEM 16" rims will be 6.5", but OEM 18" rims are 7.5J and Cupra 19" alloys 8J. This will also impact the width of tyres fitted eg 205 = 6.5J; 225 = 7.5J; 235 = 8J.

@black_sheep thank you so much for the heads up! I was so fixated on the ET and was already looking around online but all the calculations I had done prior to your message just now would've been incorrect because I hadn't even factored that in at all. You're a life saver! 👍

Reactions: black_sheep
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.