Which TYRES 225/45/17

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
I have a 2005 Leon FR done 30,000 miles, that's currently stuck in snow outside our house thats at the bottom of a hill!

Looking at the threads, my fronts are worn down to almost no grip in one area

Which tyres do you recommend thats got good traction and grip esp. in wet and good performance, and price if you know.

At the moment I have:

Rear -GoodYear EAGLE F1 Assymetric -Made in Germany
Front -ContiSport Contact 91w -Made in Germany
(came with the car, swapped from rear 8 months ago when I had new fronts -and put new fronts on rear -if that makes sense!)

I believe the GSD3's that had the more aggressive pattern tread are no longer made.. though sure some stock must be about.

Anyone used Assymetrics v's GSD3's?
Anyone any recommendations?

Last edited:

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
No suggestions?

I think I'll go for the Asymmetrics again, never ran them on the front, do wear well?

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
Apparently Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres are very good in wet conditions and reasonably priced. I've seen nothing but good reviews for them and that's what I'm going to be getting when I buy some new alloys in the next few weeks.

Also supposedly good are Toyo T1R, I have two of these but only on the rear so don't really know the full potential of them, but they seem pretty good.

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Thanks, after my post the 'search' finally worked as before it found me nothing relevant!
I found a couple people on here suggesting Vredestin and Falken's.

I'm not sure on Assymetrics or Vredsteins grip in the snow, some mixed reviews.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm

My local tyre dealer doesn't stock either of those, and his prices are better than event tyres, e tyres etc

Another I'm considering is Michelin Pilot Sport 3 replaced the Pilot Sport 2 on 1 Jan 2010.

I don't do much motorway miles, mines mainly A roads, short journeys, and have a spirited driving style;)

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I swear by Uniroyal Rainsports. Very good in the dry and superb in the wet. I've also been pleasantly surprised how good they've been in the snow despite only having about 4mm tread on the front

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
They most certainly do http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m54b0s16p12403

Great price on Camskill too!

Thanks!

So I'd have to get them fitted locally if ordered from camskill, as I am based in Leicestershire currently.

Has anyone tried any of the other Vredestein tyres? such as Vredestein Sportrac 3?

I'm wondering as Eagle F1 Assymmetric and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta were rated top by Evo in 2007 that these have become popular....?

Maybe there could be another tyre with the same grip in all weather particular wet and snow without going all out for a winter tyre as I want to use it in Summer too.

thepear

Ive just replaced the front pirelli's on my cupra with vredesteins. they were about 100 quid a piece including fitting. the eagle f1's were the other option i had, but were about 25 pound more expensive per tyre. from what i've read the vredestein ultra sessanta's pretty much match up on performance, wet and dry, but do wear a little quicker. they already feel so much better than the pirelli's and i've only had em on 2 days. i cant give a full review yet, cos theyre not really worn in. unsure if theyre avail in your size, but just look on vredesteins website. plus im sure a few tyre places in your are will stock them if you give them a bell

thepear

and yeah, just checked vredestein website, and the ultra sessanta's avail 225/45/17 speed rating Y

plus. not been funny, but dont buy tyres for the snow. it snows for about a week a year. and in all fairness, unless your drivin a range rover or summat alike, no tyres are going to be that good

Last edited by a moderator:

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
i think Conti SportContact3s are the best thing since sliced bread.
michelin PS2s are supposed to be better, but they're even more expensive!

don't base this tyre purchase on the snow we have now.
although having said that, the vreds are very good tyres

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Year-in-Review.htm Gives a good over view of the best tyres last year.

If you live near Hinckley try Britannia tyres, they are the cheapest I've ever found for tyres (I used the Coventry branch). They will probably be able to do you a price incl fitting which is cheaper than camskill to just supply.
I got my 215/40/17 Rainsport 2's for £74 each fitted

That is exactly whom I was thinking of!

They fitted my F1 Assymetrics last year and tyres on my previous cars, best prices!

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
and yeah, just checked vredestein website, and the ultra sessanta's avail 225/45/17 speed rating Y

plus. not been funny, but dont buy tyres for the snow. it snows for about a week a year. and in all fairness, unless your drivin a range rover or summat alike, no tyres are going to be that good

i think Conti SportContact3s are the best thing since sliced bread.
michelin PS2s are supposed to be better, but they're even more expensive!

don't base this tyre purchase on the snow we have now.
although having said that, the vreds are very good tyres

Thanks guys.

Yeah, not looking for a tyre specifically good in the snow, sorry if my post seemed like that, think my predicament stuck today may have biased that a bit!

Will find out tomorrow if my local dealer can order in Vredsteins as its not a stock they carry, they informed me it may be expensive, will ask and find out.

Otherwise may stick with another 2 X F1 Assymetrics that will match the other 2 I already have.

Does anyone know if the Vredestein's and F1 Assymetrics use the same rubber compound? and do I need to always go for the Ultra High Performance tyre or can a compromise be reached on a High performance tyre that gives good-high performance, excellent grip particularly in the wet and dry, yet some comfort, less road noise and longetivity? or am I just asking too much?:D

Oh BTW I'm not still stuck in the snow..thanks to my helpful neighbours who helped me twice now, this time they just got an old bedsheet placed on the snow, and hey presto all my grip returned and I got off!

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
F1 Assymmetrics v's Vredsetein Ultrac Sessanta v's Vredestein Sportrac 3

I can see quite a few of you have had Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres fitted but anyone know how these compare to the Vredestein Sportrac 3?
i.e.In terms of handling, grip, especially in the wet (and by that I don't mean snow!)

I am only buying 2 tyres for now, so will still have my old Eagle F1 Assymetrics on rear (or may swap them to front when I buy the 2 new tyres)

Or should I stick with Eagle F1 Assymetrics? Anyone who's had both these tyres can comment...?

I believe the Vredesteins have silicon in with their rubber compund, unsure of what type of rubber compound the F1 Assym. are? Want similar rubber compound so al 4 tyres characteristics are similar, though being front wheel drive not sure it will make much of a difference...

Thanks

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Just ordered new Hankook Evo V12's... £260 for all four :)

Good choice and good price!

They did well in the latest german Auto Test.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Quite a different result to Evo's test. Think this test seems to be the bench standard.

I've decided to go with the F1 Assymetrics again!...
This is purely to match the other 2 that's on there and also it's been a pain to get hold of Vredsteins in my area at reasonable cost, most dealers were quoting inflated prices purely as they'd have to buy them in as 3rd party.

Thanks everyone for your comments, keep them coming ..as next time I need 2 new corners want to try something different to the F1 Assymetrcs.

Will let you know how these feel after they are fitted.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.