which Vagcom& Cable (Very Confused)

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi, I been toying with the idea of getting vagcom for a while, however after searching and looking on the various websites etc I can't figure out what exactly it is that I need and where to get it from and how much it all costs.

From what I can tell there is several versions of Vagcom including a free version with limited features.

I basically only need it at the moment for diagnosing and clearing fault codes etc.

And then I need a cable to, but it seems there are different ones or you can make your own?

So any help and guidance on what to get would be great as I can't seem to find a clear answer! :help:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
a search of this forum on the words "which VAG-COM" returned 500+ threads on this very subject. Are you suggesting that there is not one of these that would help?

For basic code reading and resetting, you could use the Shareware versions of VAG-COM: 311.2 and 409.1. As Shareware, they are free!

Which one to use would depend on what hardware you choose to buy or make.

If you really want to be sure it will all work, then you should consider purchasing a full system from Ross-Tech or one of our distributors. We do not sell on eBay. Genuine Ross-Tech equipment comes with full warranty, tech support and so on.

If you go the inexpensive route, all I can say is "buyer beware". There are a lot of interfaces that are not of high quality and again, a search should find many posts where people have been disapointed by their purchase.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
a search of this forum on the words "which VAG-COM" returned 500+ threads on this very subject. Are you suggesting that there is not one of these that would help?

For basic code reading and resetting, you could use the Shareware versions of VAG-COM: 311.2 and 409.1. As Shareware, they are free!

Which one to use would depend on what hardware you choose to buy or make.
QUOTE]

thanks for your help....the very problem with seraching for Vagcom...and getting 500 + results, is it isn't very specific, and basically I can't make head nor tail of it all!

Could you tell me how much a cable is and which one I need for a 2001 leon cupra? I would prefer a good one as I don't want to spend ages trying to get it to work, I'd love it to be as simple as plug and go.

As for the software, can I get the shareware version from Ross-tech? and out of interest how much is the full version?

once again thanks for your help

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Could you tell me how much a cable is and which one I need for a 2001 leon cupra? I would prefer a good one as I don't want to spend ages trying to get it to work, I'd love it to be as simple as plug and go.

I will only give you the Ross-Tech genuine cable information which is available on our website. Your 2001 would be best served by our KEY series interfaces if that is the only car you plan to work on. If you would want to work on 2005 or newer, then you should consider a HEX series cable.

All of our interfaces are sold with a full license for VAG-COM. You can review the pricing on this page:
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM

As for the software, can I get the shareware version from Ross-tech? and out of interest how much is the full version?

The software - shareware or full versions can only be obtained from the Ross-Tech website. Download the software from this page:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
I'm looking at a 'VAG COM SERIAL OBD-2 VW Audi Car Diagnostic Code Reader' - does anyone know if this will work with software version 409 or 311? Thanks

JamJay

California Bound
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I can't find what I am looking for. Figured it was better to post in here rather than making a new topic.

Anyway, I need VAG COM to see how much boost my car is producing. From above, I seem to understand that I need the KEY version for a 2003 LCR 210 and not HEX, is that right? Assuming I am right, I'll need a KEY - USB cable/dongle, but the fast version?

Also, for the task in hand, should I be using 409.1 or 805.3?

Last edited:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
From the photos, it would appear you are driving a 2003 Leon Chasis 1M. From our VCDS Compatibility Chart, page 4, you can use a KEY or a HEX+CAN style interface. You were correct on your choice although the HEX+CAN style would also work fine.

If you purchase one of these genuine products, then you can run the current version of the software (Version 805.3).

JamJay

California Bound
From the photos, it would appear you are driving a 2003 Leon Chasis 1M. From our VCDS Compatibility Chart, page 4, you can use a KEY or a HEX+CAN style interface. You were correct on your choice although the HEX+CAN style would also work fine.

If you purchase one of these genuine products, then you can run the current version of the software (Version 805.3).

Thanks Bear. Do you still have a uk website or supplier so I can get my hands on the kit any quicker?

Would you recommend a KEY or HEX+CAN interface for logging boost pressure? I plan to have the laptop plugged in while driving to check for any possible boost leaks. The boost pressure read out should hopefully tell me once and for all as not fault codes are coming up.

To be honest I think all is well with the car, but for peace of mind and any future issues, VAG-COM would be handy for sure.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
We do have UK distribs that have stock. Ilexa and Gendan both are set to work with enthusiasts. The others are more oriented toward the professionals.

Either a KEY or a HEX style interface will read the live data you are looking to read. Unless you plan to work on many other cars, I don't see a reason to buy the CAN based interface (HEX). If you do plan to work on newer cars, then it is your only choice.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Also very confused!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't see where else to post my own question.

What's confusing me is the contradiction between different bits of information - one says 'It will work on all latest cars, including SEAT (OWTTE), but another says 'If your chassis is not on this list, it won't work'
Mine is a 2006 Ibiza FR150T, and not on the list, so which is the right statement?

I think I could use either MICRO-CAN or (if I can afford it!) HEX-USB-CAN. Can I?

Help, please!

Edward

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Which cable?

Thanks for the info, Bruce - I think the mass of information must have confused me, and I was under the impression that my chassis should be in the 'Micro-CAN' list, but I must have been mistaken.

No, when I mentioned expense, I wasn't thinking of going down the 'foreigners' route, it's just that I need to justify the expenditure to my wife, who has said I can have it for my birthday!

Thanks again

Edward (the Confused)

Mudz

sorry to bring up an old thread

Similar to the above i have a good idea as to what i need, but my question is, the compatobilty chart suggest best option for my leon tdi 2001 is hex and can as i will be able to use on the newer cars aswell but i can buy off my tutor at college a used prokit which is HEX-COM KIT, is that the same as i could not find that on the compatobilty chart,

thanks

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
A HEX-COM is not the same as a HEX-COM+CAN or a HEX-USB+CAN. It is an older product which did not support the CAN based cars released starting in 2003 in the Audi lines. The HEX-COM's coverage is the same as the KEY series interfaces. It has slightly faster hardware in it when compared to the KEY series.

If you want coverage for the widest possible model years, then the HEX+CAN series interface is the ticket. If you are looking to just do your ride, the HEX-COM or KEY series interfaces would be fine.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Obviously I cannot stop you from using that wire, but it is an illegal copy of our product. Should you persist in talking about it here, I will be forced to report the thread.

Should you buy the illegal product, you will not be granted any licensing for it.

Visit our distributor pages for a legal product. None of distributors are permitted to sell HEX, KEY or MicroCAN style interfaces on eBay. We choose not to play in that arena with the thieves who steal from us.

Last edited:

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
bearthebruce im still a little confused ive got a cabel that i was given where can i get just the software from and is it ok to use the cable i allready have ?
thanks
:confused: