Why does my blueflame hang so low?

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The top of the tip of my new blueflame exhaust hangs a good 3" below the recess in the bumper, and is off to left side by about 0.5". The mechanic who fitted it said he couldn't bend the rear mounting point up any further without the sort of 'U-bend' bit behind the rear box that goes over a cross beam (subframe?) hitting the underside of the car.

So do I have a dodgy cat back section from blueflame or am I missing something?

Please could people post up photos of the underside of their car with blueflame fitted?

tom72k

When I had my Blueflame fitted the mechanic said the bracket that was supplied was the wrong one and he had to source another, cost me an extra fiver but might be what has happened to you.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Upgrade to powerflex exhaust mounts, I always do when fitting a stainless system holds it more solid under the car and higher.

The oem mounts only really work for the oem exhaust system.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Do you know which particular mount to use for exhaust hangers?

Here is a couple pics. Can't get it to go any higher than this:
DSC02614.jpg

DSC02612.jpg

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Mine use to hang low, then it was fixed and hung to the left! i got an iron bar and re-aligned(bent) the hanger as fitment isn't always perfect with these.( you will need to use some force with the iron bar BTW)

Also i noticed the back box part tends to twist so it goes off center, i just twisted it back and made sure the U-bend was nice and secure.

@ BoomhaueR, i would not be happy with that fitment of your BF, but to be honest its easy to fix yourself.

BBSCupraR003Large-1.jpg

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks closer to the bumper than a standard one to me?

as above said though,always use brand new rubbers or better still powerflex style ones then tweak the brackets to suit

the old Cupra twin pipe's always used to sit on the wiss even standard :)

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Yeah I have used brand new rubbers, and tried bending the the brackets (with a hefty iron bar) to make it sit better, but I think the actual pipe from the back box is bent. Most probably bent in transit as it was only wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap.

Monster have said they will get it sorted though. Might even pop into blueflame themselves to get it fixed.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
BoomhaueR mines hangs the same mate I spoke to my fitter about this and alot if it is due to the Rubber Mounts & hangers...But BF have adjusted the hangers on the box due to people Reporting of it knocking on the rear Beam exhaust

Im gonna Bend mine up this weekend with a scaffold bar

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Incidently i had my 3" Blueflame DP and sports cat fitted today to compliment the BF cat back i had on the system already, The guy fitting it said since i had the BF cat and DP the whole system marries up perfectly and there is less pressure on the back box. So it is probably down to the the BF cat back matching up with the OEM system that causes the BF backbox/tip to be off center and some brute force is called for to get them right.

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I had the whole turbo back fitted at the same time though.

Anyway, I went to blueflame and they were awesome! Put it up on the ramps and immediately found that some bolts were only hand tight on the backbox section. Was a 5min job. I'll be having a word with the fitter. They also said a bracket after the cat is commonly put on upside down which causes it to drop.

After it was fixed we they took a couple videos and pictures to go on their website. It sounds awesome now and pops a bit too when giving full beans. I'll post them up next week.

Happy customer :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise