Wierd vibration!!

May 22, 2009
South Wales
hey, i have just noticed that wen i am accelerating, my steering wheel starts to vibrate then stops when i am at a constant speed and then does it again under braking. any ideas wat it could be? wheels have recently been balanced, did reduce it but not cure it!

Any ideas?

cheers

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
If its doing it under braking that's a tad worrying.
I'd imagine it was balancing or wheel alignment but someone might know more.

I only have this problem upon acceleration and thats because of wheel balancing/

May 22, 2009
South Wales
it doesnt do it all the time under braking, so that mayb caused bby the road surface or something!

i hope its just the wheel balancing nothin more, i may take to a better place to get it done! they seem like cowboys where i go at the mo!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Poor ballancing, warped brakes, worn out dampers or tyres that are egg shaped or flat spotted.

If ballancing made it better I would take it back to the place that did it and get it checked, some tyre fitters are pants at ballancing and sometimes the weights can move if not clipped on properly.

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Check your driveshafts are not bent or joints are not dry/worn,people often over look these when sorting out wheel wobbles.Checking is free so have a good look over your car before putting your hand in your pocket!

Hope you sort it out mate.

May 22, 2009
South Wales
wicked! cheers guys, will check all, brake pads need changing so will do that and check everything else. car is on new coilies so dampers should be fine!

do u need to just check them for greese or change oil or wat? i am used to working on landrovers and they are completely different to car lol!

cheers

May 22, 2009
South Wales
its not decked only rubs going over big bumps and stuff, but i think it has only really started in the last week or so, and have had the coilies on for about 3 months now! just going to have a closer look on the week end, got a few things to check!

Leonidas

Did ya find out what the vibration was? My friend has a Mk2 Leon that vibrates under braking!!!

May 22, 2009
South Wales
no the noise had jus come suddenly! really wierd and is getting worse! i think i am going to put my car on the ramps to find out wat the problem is this week!

will keep everyone posted!

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Since having my car lowered on coilovers about 1 month ago i havent had 4 wheel alignment done will this be causing any major damage to the car other than the tyres wearing unevenly? I will try and get it done this week :doh:

May 22, 2009
South Wales
just a quick update for your all! i have had my car on the ramps at my mates mot centre to test all the bushes to find the knock - And no luck!

the top mounts are fine, wishbone bushes, antiroll bar bushes and all engine mounts are fine!

We are all seriously puzzled but the knocking noise is still there!!