Will Kwik Fit do camber/castor as well as alignment?

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
Hey people,
for a wee while now i've been having a problem with handling. I've just given up tryin to sort it as im skint.

However i think it's the camber of the car thats way off or the castor as im getting a slight drift to the left.

What i'm wondering is when getting allignment done at kwik fit do they sort the camber and castor or is it just the allignment?

Any help would be great as i want to get to the bottom of this!cheers

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
only some of them have the kit (round here anyway)

camber set then 4 wheel laser track should put your mind at rest.

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh
only some of them have the kit (round here anyway)

camber set then 4 wheel laser track should put your mind at rest.

Right as long as i know camber set and laser track are two different things

do you think the camber being out could be the cause of the drifting?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Shudders at thought of Kwik Fit touching any car I've paid for.

Many years ago I had 4 new tyres from Kwik Fit. The next day I'm hooning down a dual carriageway and the car starts to crab. I pull over ASAP and the wheel nuts on the rear nearside wheel are all finger tight loose. Went back and kicked off showing I had been in the day before, and all I got was an apology from the manager despite trying for a bit of refund compensation as some of the bolts had ovalized slightly on the alloy.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
could do, camber of the road and tracking could also be a factor.

if you have your tracking done then move the camber in anyway it will put your tracking out.

first get your camber set - basically the angle your wheels sit when looking from front of car (kind of how far the top of the wheels sit in)

then get your tracking/ wheel allignment done - set your wheels pointing equally in the same direction - parallel

you can have a two wheel track but for peace of mind i'd have a 4 wheel track done which makes sure the front wheels are alligned and also they are alligned with the rear to prevent crabbing.

this is not definitive or at all technical just a breif description. i'm not sure what the camber set or tracking settings are on the ibiza as very few cars are 0/0 usually toe in or out a degree.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell

Many years ago I had 4 new tyres from Kwik Fit. The next day I'm hooning down a dual carriageway and the car starts to crab. I pull over ASAP and the wheel nuts on the rear nearside wheel are all finger tight loose. Went back and kicked off showing I had been in the day before, and all I got was an apology from the manager despite trying for a bit of refund compensation as some of the bolts had ovalized slightly on the alloy.

haha, yea i'd keep an eye on them, i've heard a few horror stories - struts coming through the body where the've left out suspension caps and wheels falling off.

a few years back i had an astra and just fitted spax suspension and took it to have the tracking done. i sat in reception for an hour while i heard constant smashing with a hammer, i walked across to the ramp where my car was to see three of them stood there looking at the track rod end they had beaten to death and yet was still stuck in the sus' leg.

so i picked up the b/j breaker applied a little pressure gave it a carefully placed tap with the hammer next to the joint and it popped right out! then was the good bit, 'it's knackered mate, you need a new end!' they wouldn't replace it so i had to get a bus to the nearest motor factors and buy myself a new track rod end! needless to say i watched them refit it and track it very closely after that!

cupraRgstar

May 15, 2007
Edinburgh

well not going to take it there again lol. gonna see how much seat will charge!thanks for your replies

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Try and find a decent independant with four wheel alignment. We have one here. Hurrah.

I wouldn't trust Kwik fit or ATS with a skateboard and they're overpriced.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.