Winscreen Replacement Charge HELP PLEASE

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
It's their responsibility to check they're covered before proceeding. Usually they'll tell you if they deal with that insurer or not straight away (lots use other companies).

At the moment it's all verbal though. Always deal with alleged debts in writing. Since you have no paperwork, I wouldn't go any further. If they call tell them to put everything in writing to you. Then we'll see what they send in the post.

Autoglass are the ones in trouble though. If they do a job and the insurer won't pay them, it's hard luck for them. They deal with insurers day in day out so have little sympathy if they've been diddled.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
So if anyone would like to know, as of today, the average price of five companies is £183.46

I have contacted
National Windscreens (£162.00),
AA Autowindshields (£200.00),
Autoglass (£230.62),
Auto Windscreens Dorset (£202.61),
Pheonix Windscreens (£120.00)

I think I now have fair grounds to argue that me having to pay £317 in total plus my insurance paying £150 is excessively priced.

The average cost is £183.46, if I then take out the highest and lowest values the average becomes £188.20.

This is still £129.25 cheaper than they are requesting and a figure that I will be more happy to pay. Time to approach Autoglass I think.

Scorponok

Sep 13, 2013
DEVONSHIRE
I just arranged for my windscreen to be replaced by Autoglass, I better not get that crap. My insurance company transferred me to Autoglass hope that makes a difference. Hope you get it sorted though that is extortionate!

Last edited:

Nolando89

Jun 12, 2014
Dorset
So the total paid so far is already £225 which is above average, they have done some serious calculation error! Hope you get it sorted at a reasonable cost, personally I would of exploded already haha give them £5.62 to match the other auto glass quote and see what they say!!!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
Haha no I must have explained it wrong.

I have only paid my original £75 as an excess.
They want me to pay another £242 which I am going to argue.
I think I have fair grounds based on the research so far. Thoughts?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Have had two screens replaced by them in company vehicles (we don't claim on insurance) first in a Mazda 6 was £650 or so, second in a Passat (only bloody 6 months old !) which was £450 iirc. Both through Autoglass.

Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
So, a quick update.

I have done some research and have rang autoglass, without any complaint they have told me that they have "resolved the matter internally" and that I have nothing else to pay.

I asked for written confirmation to be sent to my email and I am happy to say that I think I have won.

I hope this helps some other people in the future however I also hope this doesn't happen to anyone else either.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.