Wiper bolt sheared off

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I had a lump of ice on my windscreen this morning and accidently turned the wipers on when they were obstructed. This caused the bolt holding the passenger side blade on to shear clean in half.

I found a picture in another thread: http://rossbyrne.googlepages.com/DSC00932.JPG

The whole metal thread above the plastic has snapped.

How can I fix it?? Luckily it wasn't the driver side but I'm pretty miffed because I've only had the car a week!

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
yup tip to a breakers and get a wiper linkage, or get a new one from the dealers. i dont believe they are to expencive. £35-£40 i think....

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
very simple. you will need a 10mm and 13mm socket/spanner and a flat blade screw driver. flip off the cover off your wiper arm. undo the 13mm nut and work off the wiper arm. if you cant get it off just leave the nut undone and switch on the wipers. you will also need to remove the broken spline from the one that broke off or else get a new wiper arm. when you have both wiper arms off you need to remove the black plastic scuttle pannel under the window. remove the pollen filter (2screws on pass side) take out the filter. start at one side and gently prise it up the pannel. when thats off you will see the wiper linkage. its held in with 3 bolts. you will need to unclip the wire from the motor to remove the linkage.
hth

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for that - much appreciated.

I've bought one for £45 inc postage off ebay. I'm sure me and a mate can figure it out based on your instructions.

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
no bother. if your not sure just take loads of pics when your taking it apart and you should be able to get it back!!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Argh. Parcel arrived today and it's just the motor with no linkage.

Contacted them to see if they can send the linkage, otherwise it's going back and it'll cost me about £5 in postage.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I'm glad you think my predicament is funny! :p

They'll do a straight swap for the motor and linkage. That means I'll have to take my existing motor off and transfer it. I'm assuming it's just bolted on...?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Stuck at the moment trying to disconnect the wiper motor.

I can't see how it disconnects because I can only see the top. Is there a harness? I can only work by feel because it's quite hidden.

mikeholroyd

Stuck at the moment trying to disconnect the wiper motor.

I can't see how it disconnects because I can only see the top. Is there a harness? I can only work by feel because it's quite hidden.

Multiplug from harness into the motor. Needs a little tag depressing, the the multiplug slides off.
When I took mine off, once the linkage was unbolted, I could turn the whole thing over so I could see the multiplug! Much easier.

By the way, once everything is off, takethe opportunity to plaster silicon round the pollen filter housing and electric cables etc. Always potential leak points on the Leon, and a damn sight easier to seal with no wiper linkage in the way. Once everythings out, it will take you no more than 10 minutes to seal everything up. But if it starts leaking later, it's gonna take more than that to strip everything out again.

Mike

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Cheers! I had to pull the silicone off so I'll reseal it once it goes back.

Too wet outside now, so I'll have a look tomorrow. Towels are plugging the gaps.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
This is driving me mad! I can't get it to reset in the right position - it does a full sweep but only if the starting position is vertical ie.

wiper.gif

I'm following this guide: http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4497824

Thought I had followed this to the letter, but it seems not:
If the relative positions of the motor drive shaft and drive arm were not marked in step 16, or if the marks are no longer visible, reconnect the motor wiring harness to the motor and have someone operate the wipers at least one cycle while you hold the motor securely. This will return the motor drive shaft to the rest position. Next, reconnect the motor to the linkage assembly using the three 10mm bolts. Make a mark on the end of the motor drive shaft that would line up with the motor drive arm when its in the position shown in the picture for step 14. The mark should basically be at the 9 o'clock position. Finally, make the mark on the motor drive arm that you should have made in step 16. You should now be ready to proceed with step 35.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
following that guide? did you realise it shows the mech fitted on the passenger side of the car so is LHD ?

:tip:
try setting the motor arm at 180 degrees round and let it settle then to save messing with the arms all the time wedge some short cardboard arrows over the spindles to show you whats happening when you work the motor, if they get trapped then it wont break anything :)

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
following that guide? did you realise it shows the mech fitted on the passenger side of the car so is LHD ?

A ha! I should just need to flip the resting position of the linkage so it's on the opposite side then.

Thanks for the tip. Twice the wipers have slammed into the engine bay now!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise