Wiper motor spindle stripped

NinjaFlavour

Halfway down the motorway, at night, in the pouring rain and spray, this happened:
DSC00932.JPG

[there should be verticle splines running all the way up the tapered part, upto where the screw thread starts]

Meaning the drivers side windscreen wiper went nuts, got stuck under the other wiper and then wiped beyond the edge of the windscreen ultimately causing this:
DSC00931.JPG

[very lame scratched door pillar paint]

The rest of the motorway journey home was interesting with no wipers, and almost died on a few occasions.

As far as I can tell the splines on the wiper arm itself are ok, its the motor spindle thats stripped.
What I want to know is, is this easily repairable? Can I just replace the spindle or is it a full motor mechanism replacement? Any part numbers or supplies known?

I'm more annoyed about the scratched paint (the picture is even after I tried using a wax touch up stick) than the broken wiper.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That's an unusual failure. What do you think the cause was? About the only thing I can think of is loose wiper arm fixings. Had the wiper arms been replaced recently?

The part that's failed is the wiper linkage, which the motor is bolted to. It should be available as a separate part, perhaps from a scrapper if not from Seat.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Doesnt look like it was tight enough to me as the splines below are fine. The spindle on these units seize up and ive replaced 2 on different vag cars. i think its about £20-30 for the linkage and when you fit it grease the spindle heavily

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Looking at VAGCAT it appears that the spindle is part of a larger section that is an all-in-one part...altho I may well be wrong.

Part number on VagCat is 8L1955634, and it says it's 7 euros??

Here is the image from VagCat, item number 9 on the image.
955000.png

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Yeah its all part of the linkage two spindles and the metal arms that join it to the motor sold as one peice

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
yeah unforunately its all on part
similar thing happened to me although
my spindle snapped!!
its only £30 from dealer though
for the linkage

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
i cant tell you how pleased i am that this came up. my wiper arm snapped around the spindle and caused it to try and wrench itself round. fortunately i was on my drive. up unitl now i figured that i would be ok and i just had the nut on REALY tight and its been ok but seeing that i'm a tad motivated to sort it out!!

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
i had this problem on my cupra, i had to buy a new bracket or wiper mech which was 30 pounds and the linkages just pop on and off on ball and socket joints, it will take you about 30 mins start to finish.

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
Ninja, I had this problem a few years ago when i owned a classic piece of english heritage (rover)

My wiper arm (drivers side) came loose, collided with the passenger side and promptly dissapeared, scraping paint as it went. This all happened whilst driving in fast lane on busy M6 in heavy rain. It was abit like Ace Ventura on my way to the hard shoulder!lol

On a positive note, i used a bit of TCut on my Leon bumper recently and if your scratches are thin you could DIY it, the results arn't bad, just be careful not to go too far

NinjaFlavour

It was abit like Ace Ventura on my way to the hard shoulder!lol

Haha yes! I thought exactly the same thing as it happened.

Well thanks for all your help guys, I've found the part I need and ordered one from the local stealers (was the cheapest I could find) at £40 its not that cheap but I don't have time to shop around for too long as its bound to rain again sometime soon. At least theyre delivering to my house tomorrow at no extra charge.

Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.