Wisdom of mapping a 90k LC and SMIC question.

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
Guys,

I've finally got the money together for a re-map and I've already convinced myself it's a good idea, but before I go ahead can anyone conclusively state that an engine with this many miles on it really shouldn't be put under any more stress?

I've read a few posts where people have happily done a lot of miles on a remapped car, but I haven't found any that were put on to a car that had already done a lot of miles. The car is serviced regularly and I started doing 5k oil changes at 80k, and I've already got the Forge DV & TIP.

Also, I've been offered a Forge SMIC cheap. Again I've searched but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. A FMIC isn't an option due to the cost. The review on here doesn't state one way or the other if it actually does any good. Should I go for it?

Cheers, Will

P.S. See you all at GTi Spring Festi @ Santa Pod?

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112814

benjiwales

benji
Jan 29, 2007
Penybont
I don't see why it should matter, surely it's all down to how you drive the car and it's maintenence.
So long as it's well maintained, which it sounds like it is, can't see why you should have any problems, if anything the car should run better.......if it's a custom map........

Mind I'm saying all this like I know but I've only owned my LC a few weeks and it's my first turbo'ed motor :redface:

just my 2p worth

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
as long as the cars in good condition i wouldnt worry. with my first jabba map fuel consumption improved and the car ran better rather than just fast. i got 240 odd with standard lc smic. ( thats with a sports cat too.) so there not bad.that was at 6ok cars now 75k running 300+bhp

no map related failures so far.

id save my cash towards suspension upgrade... so you can enjoy the extra power more

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
as long as the cars in good condition i wouldnt worry. with my first jabba map fuel consumption improved and the car ran better rather than just fast. i got 240 odd with standard lc smic. ( thats with a sports cat too.) so there not bad.that was at 6ok cars now 75k running 300+bhp

no map related failures so far.

id save my cash towards suspension upgrade... so you can enjoy the extra power more

I'm already on coil-overs! But, if you're saying that the standard SMIC is OK, then I think I'll save my cash.

Thanks!

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
Go ahead mate, as long as you've kept up service intervals, oil changes etc, these engines can take a lot of punishment. The first car I got mapped @ Jabba was my Mk 4 Golf, that had 82k on the clock at the time of map. Sold the car on 113k with not a day's trouble.

willcooke

Brrrummmm
May 31, 2005
Beds
Go ahead mate, as long as you've kept up service intervals, oil changes etc, these engines can take a lot of punishment. The first car I got mapped @ Jabba was my Mk 4 Golf, that had 82k on the clock at the time of map. Sold the car on 113k with not a day's trouble.

Good news, thanks!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
During normal, part throttle cruising and driving your engine wont be under any more stress than it was when standard, it's only when you put it under load and the increased power is used that it's under more stress, so you'll be fine mate.

If you're worried, extra oil changes every 5k will work wonders in helping your engine cover many, many more thousands of miles yet :)

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
personally i wouldnt bother with changing the smic for another smic
isnt really worth the bother

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
If you know your car has been looked after throughout, I'd say go for it. I'd rather have a 90k car with known history than swapping for a 30k car that could have been thrashed from cold every single day of its life.

High mileage isn't anything to be worried about these days, things still wear out so just replace them. And as Rob says, its not like the extra performance is being used all the time so I doubt it would put much extra stress on anything - unless you choose it to of course!

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
I mapped my A3 1.8T @ 85k and it's still going strong (touch wood)...

I thought the clutch might give up fairly quickly but it's never even slipped.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Go for it!!

It's funny how everybody thinks that at 80,000 miles a car is about to die.
If your car is looked after then theres no reason why your car won't still be fresh up to and over 150,000 miles

JmZ

ZZZooooommmmmmm!
Nov 20, 2002
around and about
Visit site
A little vote form me for the Forge SMIC. I was running a standard one for a while until i got a second hand one from on here.

At first I have to say the difference was slight - until it came to warmer weather, then it became apparent i could count on a little more consistent boost and less lethargy after several short high speed runs in hotter weather.

Removing the front fogs (hello insect death trap) also made a difference as did adding a vent to the wheel arch liner behind the SMIC.

It does not add bhp but it does make my car much smoother and of course it does not tire so quickly in hot weather :lol:

Defo not as advantageous as fitting the full FMIC, but I like the stealth of keeping it OEM looking ;)

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
what are the real-world IAT drops from the Forge SMIC?

The website only claims 10°C, is the butt dyno gonna feel that?

What about on the boost gauge?

andycupra

status subject to change
IMO, the SMIC upgrade is a good upgrade, but perahps not for the full cost new. its about £350.. see link:
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0013&product=FMINTMK4S

A front mount will set you back about £850 all in, (maybe less if you work at it)for the mount, pipework, new crash bumper part etc.

The SMIC is a like for like replacement in most ways, ie no new pipework, no new crash bumper part. It is slightly larger than the stock part but sits in the same place.

Therefore, i see it like this:
The SMIC upgrade is about half the cost of the FMIC upgrade and is more stealth in set up.

For K03 / K03s leons:
If you are just planning a remap (which are usually based on the stock SMIC) then the forge SMIC is a nice upgrade and copes well.
Therefore if you can get it cheaper than rrp, say £200 then it will be setting you back about a quarter that a new FMIC from the same supplier would.
On that basis if you can get one cheap then id recommend it.

However dont expect to fit it and drive and with 10bhp more. its not about that, rather more providing prolonged performance and also during warmer weather conditions.

Last edited:

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
However dont expect to fit it and drive and with 10bhp more. its not about that, rather more providing prolonged performance and also during warmer weather conditions.

Shouldn't you be able to 'feel' that prolonged perfomance though?

ie pulls longer through the revs?