Wishbone bolts

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
hi, i brought some wishbones and antiroll bar links today and went to fit them and typical as nothing goes right when working on my own car, the bolts that go into the subframe which is the front one is solid and wont undo at all, cant even get bottles on it as the captive nut is hidden in the subframe, had a power bar on it but darent put too much pressure on it as is feels though its ready to snap. Has anyone had this problem and what is the best way around it? The only way i can think of is to grind the subframe open to get bottles on the captive nut then reweld back up but dont really want to do that as it wudnt be as solid and safe! Thanks

cupra20vt240

at least i am not the only person who has bad luck when i work on my car.i had exactly the same problem i got the bolt turning in the end without snapping it working it backward and forwards i got it out halve an inch but it was ceased to the bush sleeve and the whole bush was just spinning.it wasnt having none of it so i decide to cut the bolt off flush with a sub frame.pry the sub frame open a little i had to cut wishbone in halve so i could lever it out of the hole.

have fun

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Subframe bolts are renowned for being difficult to get out in one piece. I'd try soaking them in WD40/duck oil the night before, then coming back to them, reapplying some more oil and then try.

I really wouldn't go cutting the subframe lol

ian_cupra

i had to buy a new subframe for this reason, as i really didnt want to cut the subframe. Not cheap by the way, think was in region of £250 in the end, and i did all the work

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
I used half a can of wd40 and left overnight

Was still a struggle but managed to crack them in the end

2 anti roll bar links snapped though lol

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
I have soaked them in wd40 well tryed to as the captive nut is encased in the subframe so arent sure if the wd has got to the nut just found one hole in the subframe and sprayed loads in. Just brought all new bolts for the wishbones so going to have another go soon. Im doin it at my work in a garage and had the acetalyne bottles on the nut but wont do much as cant heat the captive nut side and dont want to heat too much incase the bushes melt and cant get the wishone off then my car is off the road once again! Dont need this hassle especially on my own car as i get it all day on customers cars! just makes things worst on your own! lol. Dont want to be forking out on a new subframe as the hybrid saving is in progress!

Banksy 1

ibiza cupra
May 27, 2007
Stoke-On-Trent
cant get a impact gun on the offside front as the sump is in the way and extensions mean less force. yeah will just have to keep soaking them and hang on the power bar and hope for the best!