Wobble under braking

rdjmoose

Jul 23, 2004
My car seems to be a little unstable when I brake. The steering wheel wobbles and it doesn't seem very planted. Could this be a warped brake disk? Is it a wheel balance problem or is it alignment?

If it s a warped disk should thins be sorted under warranty as the car is only 18 months old and don 40k miles?

Thanks for suggestions

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
my car too has same problem and the car only has 5000 km on the clock. I'm taking to the dealer tomorrow for service anyway so i'll have them sort it out.

They won't be skimming them either i'll take nothing less than two new discs - i will scratch the edge on my current discs to make sure they really do replace them.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
With 40k miles on the clock, I can't personally see Seat coughing up for a consumable part under warranty. You can trash brakes a lot quicker than that depending on how you use and abuse them, so you'll be luck I reckon.

sven7

Apr 19, 2004
North West
Mine had the same problem, steering wheel wobbling even though the car had only done 2500 miles.

Dealer replaced front brake discs under warranty - has been fine ever since.

rdjmoose

Jul 23, 2004
so I am screwed and probably going to need new front disks.

I'm getting it serviced on saturday so will ask them to check the disks and if I need new ones will get uprated ones elsewhere.

What cost am I looking at?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds like judder - ie - warped discs to me

get em to check the surface run out

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
40k miles and warrantry on disks?
you having a laff?

dont think you will have much chance at all.

sounds warped... does it get worse when they're hot?

cstevens

Oct 18, 2005
Mine does the same thing, at 5k miles took it to Seat, they came up with crap that its supposed to do that ABS and EPS - LOL!.

Going info its 10k service next week with different dealer and I will ensure they look at it properly this time.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
judder thru steering wheel wont be abs... brake pedal yea.
usually gets worse the hotter the brakes get

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
dj_hektik said:
its been 40-45 degrees celsius lately ... maybe thats why....

and the summer hasn't even started yet!

No mate, Bill means hotter the brakes get, not the weather.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
rdjmoose said:
"surface run out" ?

Not sure what you mean?

imagine a record thats warped - if you fixed the needle at a set height it would hit/miss/hit/miss etc

or better still a brake pedal on a mountain bike bike with a slightly bent wheel

basically the same on warped discs - you use a fixed point as a reference on the face of the disc and turn the disc and basically see if it hits or misses

perfect world it would stay straight all the way round

dj_hektik

LEON 20VT FR
just got back from the dealer.

im a bit pissed off now as someone hit the back of my car. the rear bumper is creased near the hatch lid and the licence plate lights are broken. Also the hatch lid doesn't match the sides perfectly, its been pushed in a bit.

I was stopped at a red light an an idiot in a GMC Yukon (Huuuge SUV - like Hummer H2) ran into the back of me.

aaanyway the dealer said they will resurface the discs but i'll go back on saturday and have them replace them.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise