Wobbly and bouncing headlight

davo141

Upon cleaning the car i noticed my front passenger headlight was wobbly! i removed the wheel arch liner to get a good look and could not see any possible places where it could attach to the front bumper (aero), my drivers side is as steady as a rock!

When driving also, i can see the light patten bouncing around, at firts i just thought this was normal and im guessing this is due to the light been loose!

Anyone got any suggestions on reasons why or even remedys? Any help will be much appricitated!

Cheers, Dave

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Possibly loose bolt for headlight or worse a cracked headlight housing? Either way the front bumper has to be totally removed to gain access, not as daunting as it sounds though to get it off.

Big_Mikey_G

Jul 30, 2009
Birmingham
Anyone got any suggestions on reasons why or even remedys? Any help will be much appricitated!

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you tried looking at the headlight adjustment bracket?

I had mine crack when i had a minor shunt in June last year.

You can see it here:

Broken1.jpg

And again here closer up:

Broken2.jpg

It was flagged on MOT in January as an MOT failure on headlight adjustment.

If it is the case, there is a cheap fix. Seat sell a repair bracket, which looks something like this:

Clip.jpg

Its self locating and just uses a self tapping screw to screw into the back of the current bracket. Though you have to cut the old bracket down, its not hard and only takes a few minutes.

These brackets are available at most SEAT dealers. (I got mine from Dave at SERE motors for £10 including postage!)

Unfortunately for me, the 2 clips on the bottom of the headlight were also broken so the bracket wasnt quite enough to fix the problem (new headlamp from Dave at SERE again, £90 all in) but if this does turn out to be your problem its an easy fix.

Hope this helps.

Mike

davo141

Cheers Big Mikey, soon as im up and dressed im going get out and check, im hoping its something daft like that, if it was something major im sure it would be a lot worse and would have failed its MOT.

Cheers Lads, Dave

davo141

Ive checked the clip and thats all sound, the front seems pretty secure, id say it was the lower end at the rear of the light that needs secruing but i cant feel where there would be any way of doing this to the front bumper. I dont suppose any of you gents have any pictures with the bumper off or any more suggestions!

Dave

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.