Worst car ever...

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
Just thought i'd see if i was just unlucky or if anyone else has experienced the following problems.

Bought my car at a year old (Seat Ibiza DAB sport) with about 7k miles on it (this was almost 2 years ago)

Since then i've had the following problems

On the day of purchase, using the rear wiper caused the hose to come undone and flood my boot with windscreen fluid, and was a nightmare to fix due to where the hose actually is

Front + Rear lights fogging - replaced under warantee,
rear lights fogging again - cant be bothered to get replaced for it to happen again as soon as it rains.

Front right strut mount + bearings - replaced 3 times under warantee as it kept making really loud creaking noises when ever turning right

Front hose for wiper came undone and covered everything in my bonnet with wiper fluid - this was however easy to fix (and this is with using about 80% concentrate to 20% water)

Front brakes pitted after a years use.

Rear brakes pitted and corroded so they only actually used 10% of the break after 2 years use (Raised this to SEAT and the dealer who refused to replace them as apparently brakes are only covered under warantee for 6 months?) This cost £180 to replace.

Resistor on the fan blew after the service + mot and had to take this back to the garage again to be fixed.

All in all i've had way to many problems to ever consider buying a SEAT again, so looks like i may be going the VW way.

Has anyone else experienced anything as bad as this ? (my car has only done 22k miles)

stu-fr

wouldn't say thats too bad for a 3 year old car to be honest. iv come across a lot worse.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
To be honest a lot of what you raised there are fairly common problems on the mk4 Ibiza (doesn't make it right I know), the lights steaming up happens to me, and I get knocking from the front of the car on certain road surfaces and I bought mine from new. It's always worth doing your homework when you buy a second hand car though as most of the things you listed there would have probably been covered on a buyers guide as "things to look out for"

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
To be honest a lot of what you raised there are fairly common problems on the mk4 Ibiza (doesn't make it right I know), the lights steaming up happens to me, and I get knocking from the front of the car on certain road surfaces and I bought mine from new. It's always worth doing your homework when you buy a second hand car though as most of the things you listed there would have probably been covered on a buyers guide as "things to look out for"

All of the things happened a few months after buying, the lights i kindof expected would happen from reading all the posts on here, wouldn't have thought it would have been so damn common on the replacements though.

The wiper hoses i went for the stronger concentrate to avoid the freezing, but that happened too.

The car was however bought from a dealer as apposed to from a joe public, so most of the things were fixed, its just the fact i had to make so many trips its a bit of a joke.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
All of the things happened a few months after buying, the lights i kindof expected would happen from reading all the posts on here, wouldn't have thought it would have been so damn common on the replacements though.

The wiper hoses i went for the stronger concentrate to avoid the freezing, but that happened too.

The car was however bought from a dealer as apposed to from a joe public, so most of the things were fixed, its just the fact i had to make so many trips its a bit of a joke.

Sounds like I have competition here, have you been back to the same dealer more than 30 times? :p

Totally understand where you are coming from mate and it does knock any passion you have for the car right out of you, even more so when you can't seem to get them fixed.

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
Sounds like I have competition here, have you been back to the same dealer more than 30 times? :p

Totally understand where you are coming from mate and it does knock any passion you have for the car right out of you, even more so when you can't seem to get them fixed.

Same Dealer erm... 17 or 18 times, sucks when its a 40 mile trip each way, but its either that or Arnold Sharks.

Was going to get the Leon 1.4 TSI, but it's completely put me off SEAT, as has the weird servicing intervals.

VW - Service at year 1 + 3
SEAT - service every year / xx miles

Personally now looking at the Audi A3 TDI, but i dunno, few months before i change anyway.

SEAT UK had the cheek to phone me today and ask about my experience with them and the dealer, then seemed shocked when i gave them 1 out of 10 for various questions..

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't think that moving to VW will necessary improves things, same applies to buying an A3 which is just a Golf with different clothes. I bought a VW Passat B5 because it was an old Audi design so accidentally is a good car due to its Audi roots, I bought my wife a VW Polo 9N and like you I think these little cars are a pile of poo, CZ Skoda poo to be exact. I imported both cars so must stick with them for about 10 years as they can not be traded into VAG garages - keeping them that long was always the plan but my experiences with spending money on the Polo 9N would have make me quite happy to "move it on" if I had the choice. For all the above reasons, I'd think that you would be okay buying a Leon as its really a VW Golf with differant clothes, the old A.C. problem does still seem to exist though - although my daughter always gets good attention when she gets them to fix or MOT her Ibiza 6K - which surprises me. Do you go down to Earlston for your repairs etc? One other thing, Seat might just give you a better trade-in against a Leon than Audi would against an A3.

gazman

Aug 5, 2006
Lancashire
TBH the Ibiza was the worst car I have ever owned

loads of problems,unreliable,irritating little bag of *****

fixed everything before I sold it but won't be rushing back into ownership

stezo2k

Anjuna Monkey
Mar 15, 2008
Dudley
sorry to hear about all your problems buddy, i would say theres much worser cars. i personally love mine, sure theres one or two niggles but nothings perfect. i think youve just had a bad experience

if you want to move to VW you'll probably get the same things, after all, all the ibizas parts are VW ones too

Poverty

Just thought i'd see if i was just unlucky or if anyone else has experienced the following problems.

Bought my car at a year old (Seat Ibiza DAB sport) with about 7k miles on it (this was almost 2 years ago)

Since then i've had the following problems

On the day of purchase, using the rear wiper caused the hose to come undone and flood my boot with windscreen fluid, and was a nightmare to fix due to where the hose actually is

Front + Rear lights fogging - replaced under warantee,
rear lights fogging again - cant be bothered to get replaced for it to happen again as soon as it rains.

Front right strut mount + bearings - replaced 3 times under warantee as it kept making really loud creaking noises when ever turning right

Front hose for wiper came undone and covered everything in my bonnet with wiper fluid - this was however easy to fix (and this is with using about 80% concentrate to 20% water)

Front brakes pitted after a years use.

Rear brakes pitted and corroded so they only actually used 10% of the break after 2 years use (Raised this to SEAT and the dealer who refused to replace them as apparently brakes are only covered under warantee for 6 months?) This cost £180 to replace.

Resistor on the fan blew after the service + mot and had to take this back to the garage again to be fixed.

All in all i've had way to many problems to ever consider buying a SEAT again, so looks like i may be going the VW way.

Has anyone else experienced anything as bad as this ? (my car has only done 22k miles)

Had a 56 Ibiza 1.4 sport. Ragged it to death, like totally, burnouts, two wheel action, flying, handbrake turns, 1600rms of pure dirty RE Audio bass shaking it to pieces and not once did it go wrong.

Mate of mine got a brand new polo and his clutch went and he doesnt drive as much as me and when he does he drives like a granny.

Moral of the story is, its got nothing to do with it being a seat, and you have no guarantees that a vw will be any better, especially seeing as VW's, SEAT's and audis are often built in the same factory :lol:

Oh and all the issues you had were on parts that are shared with the VW version anyway.

You were just unlucky.

p.s

The leon has non of the ibiza flaws ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
ite ur problems mines a 2002 model, done 16400 when i got it in june 2007, passed my test nov 2007, and now were in october 2009 and its done 31600 odds. in this time besides all mods i have replaced bushes....has the wiper jets come off (winter mainly when the pipes freeze up) couple of sensors, fan belt, coils, spark plugs, oil filters, battery. probz more but andways yeah alot are due to servicing but i wouldnt hesitate 1 minute to buying another mk4 beeza, i this they are truely great cars and alot better than most on the market at the same value. I think u gotta overlook the common fault because no matter what car u buy they all have common problems and i think the mk4 beeza has easily fixable common problems as to what u could get. my opinion obviously but consider how u enjoy the car if u put these faults to the side.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.