Worth tuning a GTi 2.0 8v?

MartIbiza

Dec 10, 2006
Hey, new to site and only got my Ibiza today.

Just wondered if it would be worth tuning the car and what i would get out of the engine? I don't plan on doing it over night but im willing to put bout £1500-£2000 into the engine over time to get the best out of it.

Thought of putting 16v conversion but i haven't heard of it being done on here so thought it couldnt be done? If not that then supercharge the car as have seen a few links showing rough pricing.

Any ideas/help would be very helpful?

Cheers

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
hiya fella, welcome to the wonderful and wierd world of 'doing up' 8v's
theres a fair bit that can be done to these little beasties, have a wander around the Mk2 section , hit the search facility too , and youll be amazed at the info thats at your fingertips
:)
John

Hmm... that gives me an idea brummy.....

Depends what you want to gain out of the car in order to justify spending that much on it when you could save that money plus the money from the sale of you 8v gti and get a mk3 1.8 20vt :)

soamer

soamer
Jan 8, 2007
telford
the 8v is one torqy engine so low down revs its very quick of the mark they are very good round a race track

Mckellar

i found my 1.4 not too bad, but there was a delay in power from the foot to the front wheels! which was annoying, and still around 65bhp!

8v - more torque around the low bands
16v - more torque and power above 4k revs (where it leaves any 8v standing)

To be fair, i wouldnt tune my 8v, i wouldnt see enough gains for the money i would have to put in.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
muhaha chris youre killing me :D
The 1.4 needs 4th gear to accelerate beyond 40-50mph effectively, in the gti 8/16v its still in second reaching for third. Back in the day, my old 1.4 debadged salsa struggled to get past a derv 205 goinig up a steep 4 lane hill, thats when it was time to change!

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I love my 8v.
I had it chipped over 9 years ago and haven't regretted it. Last time on a RR at the end of March it was showing 141bhp at the flywheel from a re-chip, panel air filter, cold air feed and a supersprint exhaust.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
muhaha chris youre killing me :D
The 1.4 needs 4th gear to accelerate beyond 40-50mph effectively, in the gti 8/16v its still in second reaching for third. Back in the day, my old 1.4 debadged salsa struggled to get past a derv 205 goinig up a steep 4 lane hill, thats when it was time to change!

hey it gives more powerful cars something to think about, and i have gone past a 206 hdi before with 2 others in the car ok i was ragging the crap outta it but still

for the engine size it does the job for me, i know what you mean about accelerating in 4th but it still pulls well compared to some cars. however i find the pull dies after 4.5k rpm anyway which is getting towards red line, so i normally accelerate for overtaking between 2.5k and 5k anyway and 5k only when i have to thrash it

moving to a mk4 fr tdi soon so i will really know what torque is then:p

jaketalbot

cupra Jake
Dec 11, 2006
Colchester
for an 8v mine pulls very well through the high revs in fact feels a lot better than my old clio 16v

mine does too, it pulls really well through all the revs, in fact i don't notice a change in power at all even at 5,000 revs, there just so quick and torquey you don't notice any lapses in power, maybe in 4th and 5th but i think my 8 valve is more fun to drive than when i had a go in the 16!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Sell it, use the extra money and get a remapped 1.8t 20vt, then your know what power/torque is all about.

But yet im biased! Sorry ill go back to my mk3 section now :(

David.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.