WTF?? my spacers fit on the front but not on the rear??

Do you have to use longer wheel bolts when you have the spacers fitted?

Yes, if less then 20mm then you will need longer wheel bolts. You will find with spacers larger then this that the spacers bolt to your hub and then you have another set of bolts so that you wheel bolts to the spacer. So there are 8 holes on your spacer if that makes sense? :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
got standard wheels coming for mine soon once they are repainted

what size you using front and back ?>

looks just right

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
got standard wheels coming for mine soon once they are repainted

what size you using front and back ?>

looks just right

I've got no spacers on the front, and 20mm on the back (per spacer). I opted for the ones that bolt onto your original hub, and then you bolt the wheel onto the spacer as it allows me to still use my locking wheel nuts.

Mig

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'm dropping from the 7.25*17 back to a 6*16 and i know ill look at em every day thinking they look odd so 20mm will be spot on

might just get the 4*20mm set and lathe off the front ones to line em up if needed

i can do expensive machining ;) myself ;) hehehe what i cant do is hide the cost of 4 from the mrs - £80 to make it look good ???

looks sweet though

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i was gonna ask if you had any pics to satisfy my curiosity but i just spotted your multi storey shots

did you have just the rears fitted in those shots ?

09.jpg

nice set of pics too by the way

and YES brummy i said PICS ;)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
yes, the spacers were fitted 6 hours before the shots were taken. Only problem I'm having is that I can now only have one big passenger in the front, as when I have passenger in the back it now scrapes. I could probably mod the arches a little, but I might just use this as another excuse as to why it is a good idea to strip out the back of my car :)

Mig

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
theres a lot to be had with rolled arches mind

mines not so low but with the equivalent rims size (17's) on it just touched a few times with 2 hooge kids in the back and good ole gloscesterhire speed bumps :censored:

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
OK, having done three handling modifications in a row, I can't point out which is the best but this is my situation:

20mm rear spacers (total 40mm)
Brand new set of Toyo T1-R's (just worn in with 200 motorway miles)
Stripped out rear seats, subwoofer, MDF parcel shelf and spare wheel removed
1/4 of petrol tank full

Combined with my favourite roundabout on a dry warm evening........................all I can say is OH MY GOD :-o !!!!! Before the mods the car would understeer at about 35mph, but tonight, my balls gave way before the car did. It was like its on rails and would NOT understeer. Planted my foot down mid corner (usually would mean automatic understeer), but it just powered out of the corner. I'm shocked :drive1: . Only thing I'd say its still got a bit of a turn in wobble, but hopefully that should be cure with a set of strut braces.

More to the point, I can highly recommend the modifications mentioned (plus coilovers) to anyone who is thinking of improving the handling :clap:

Mig

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
I stripped mine out some more at the weekends, from the front seats back, it is bare, no carpets, no interior panels, plastic- nothing. Do not do this... leave it at the rear seats, wheel out and parcel shelf. The carpets and rear panels weigh bugger all. mine is so noisy now!! I will put some of it back in after the sprint at GTI - if i can stand it that long.

Mckellar

mig are your spacers bolted onto the hub then the wheels bolted onto the spacer

thats how mines work with porsche adaptors except the bolts for spacer>hub are allen key screw in.

think my bolts are only a few mm longer to accomodate with deep wheel bolt holes on design 90's

David

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Do not do this... leave it at the rear seats, wheel out and parcel shelf. The carpets and rear panels weigh bugger all. mine is so noisy now!!

I'm not stripping any more out. Maybe the parcel shelf surrounds (with the speaker holes), but thats just because they look odd. In fact I'm actually putting down a false floor (only about 6mm thick), and cutting out a hole above the spare wheel well to sink my subwoofer speaker cone into.

mig are your spacers bolted onto the hub then the wheels bolted onto the spacer

Yeah, the spacers came with 8 bolts. So you screw the spacers onto the hub using the bolts provided, and then you use your standard ones to bolt your wheel to the spacer. This allows you to use your original locking wheel nuts.

Mig

Jan 8, 2006
Manchester
Has anyone got a link to the best spacers for the job (rear)

looking to bring the wheels inline with the arches (not sticking out). I got some hubcentric ones for my mk4 and the rear end looks far better now!

thanks!
JK

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
well then 20mm spacers should be spot on. I'd give you a link to the seller on Ebay who I got mine from, but there is no point since they do not fit the Ibiza, and have not yet been re-manufactured.

bluenose

Jul 22, 2002
north wales
Visit site
Hey all. Haven't posted in a while but had to write in and back up Czechboys tale of the Devil Mics spacers (model 608).
I'd ordered mine 2 days before he started this thread :doh: so was not too hopeful when they finally arrived last Friday.
Everything he mentioned was spot on. They didn't sit flat on the rears (where they were bought for) but fit perfectly on the fronts (where they are definately not going!!!) :(.
After a quick fettle on a lathe in work today, they now fit a treat and the car looks better and seems to handle better, even on the old standard suspension :).
(coilovers next on the list :D)