WTF?? my spacers fit on the front but not on the rear??

I've seen that before on another brand of spacers too - can't remember who's it was though

they're faulty by design, but you could mod them if non returnable if you know someone with a lathe

*Raises hand* :headhurt:

Might of been mine, they where 20mm Delta Mics on my old orange one so that was about 18mths ago nearly.

Had the angle grinder out to make them fit. I bought them from wheel-spacers.co.uk and they claimed they couldn't be wrong. Someone has a design pattern wrong somewhere but mine where on rear drums rather then discs.

Could be something to do with mk2 ibiza suspension setting being different from front to back, golf front's, polo rears, that this might be a spacer problem 2? :blink: uneducated, non mechanical guess :confused:

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
*Raises hand* :headhurt:

Might of been mine, they where 20mm Delta Mics on my old orange one so that was about 18mths ago nearly.

Had the angle grinder out to make them fit. I bought them from wheel-spacers.co.uk and they claimed they couldn't be wrong. Someone has a design pattern wrong somewhere but mine where on rear drums rather then discs.

Could be something to do with mk2 ibiza suspension setting being different from front to back, golf front's, polo rears, that this might be a spacer problem 2? :blink: uneducated, non mechanical guess :confused:

Well they are like my ones then. 20mm Delta Mics. But as I've said I've tried fitting them to my Ibiza with rear discs...............and they didn't fit. Then I tried fitting them to my mates mk3 golf with rear drum brakes........ and they didnt fit either. But WTF??? Have people just been thinking "feck it" for the last 2 years that no-one has properly complained and the company still keeps happily selling them :no:

What bit did you angle grind
?? My other option is getting some 4mm spacers and fitting them between my hub and the duff spacers, but not really up for it because its more money and not sure if I want to space out the suspension another 8mm, as 40mm is bad enough, and would probably need longer wheel bolts.

Its a pain that I still can't phone them :cry: Tried to fit them at 6pm on a Friday (just after opening hours) and have to wait till Tuesday ..........almost 4 days before I even find out whats going on?

Mig

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
OK, lets put it this way. What will happen if I grind off the last 3mm of the spigot ring (roughly up to the line). does the wheel bearing casing go all the way to the tip of the spigot? Remembering that I will put the cap back on afterwards and once the spacer is fitted over the top the bearing split pin and others will once again be protected because they will be well within the inside of the spacer.

IMG_1214.jpg

Mig

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
should the spignot riung not be attached to the inside of your wheel?

It is, but only the flat part, as the slanted part is only used to protect the wheel bearing when you are putting on your wheel. See, the front spigot doesn't even have the slanted bit (becasue the bearing is further in). What bit did YOU grind off on your old car/spacers ??

IMG_1208.jpg

I wouldent grind anything off - either find a machine shop to take a bit off or get a refund and talk to Badger5

I won't grind anything off until I've spoken to the seller.

Mig

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
I performed this last week - after you made me swap my 10 & 15mm spacers front to back!!! (so much better now) my rear hub centric 15mm spacers had the same issue - solution, grind the lip off the spacer - then i turned the spacer to get it pretty, but you neednt.

Grinding the lip off the spacer will mean that the wheel does not rest on the spacer when you are putting the wheel back on so it makes it a littel harder to put the wheel on, but you wont affect the 20mm distance so the wheel will still sit square if i have confused you let me know and i will post a pic - basically your just removing the inner lip/shoulder - as thats the bit that catches.

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well surcalation showed me how he's done it in the past and its the same way I was thinking of doing it, basically grind down the hub couple of mm, like so:

921.jpg

Mig

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well I've decided to take the spacers to a local machining shop and get the inner edge machined. They want £12 for the job so it better help. Meanwhile the shop/eBay seller phoned up to explain the situation and tell me they can pick the up and get them machined. I've told him I'm already getting them done and hopefully if I send them my invoice from the machine shop, I can get my £12 refunded. They will also contact the manufacturer to tell them what is wrong with the spacers.

Fingers crossed my machined spacers will fit. I'll pick them up at 5pm so we shall see.

Mig

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Good move, i think they will be fine, would be interesting to get a quote for making some at the machining shop - i always wonder how spacers can cost so much!

MarkW

Chris
Apr 4, 2007
Edingburgh
I had this problem with my 15mm ones as well

Simplest thing to do is get non-hubcentric 10mm ones, slide em on, and where the rear hub is so huge it still allows for about 5mm for the rear wheels to sit on the spigot or whatever it is!!

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Wohoo, all is sorted now. I've got the spacers back from the machine shop (altho £15 to chanfer two edges is a rip off), then I filed them a little more............using a file, and fitted them. The wheels are now spaced out just spot on, and I dont get any wheel wobble. Not even at 90 leptons. Just hoping I can get my £15 refunded.

Mig

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
£15 is good.... that's less than 1/2hrs at a precision engineering workshop's chargeable time,

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Well here is a photo of the chamfered inside of the spacer. And a photo comparing the left side without a spacer fitted, and a right side with a 20mm spacer now fitted:

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

Mig

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.