XL (Extra Load Tyres) = Essential?

RichLCR225

Dec 4, 2006
North Yorkshire
Just looking for a bit of advice on the tyre requirements for my LCR. I was recently going to get a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1's for about £420 fitted. Decided that my Pirelli's have plenty of tread still so should stick with them a bit longer as over £400 is a lot to shell out.

My question is do I have to go for tyres that have the XL rating on my LCR or not? What will be the negative effects if any, of not using tyres with the extra load rating?

Reason I ask is that Kumho (ecstas I think) are available from a fitter I know at roughly £60 a corner fitted and I have read that some people have given good feedback on this brand for the price.

Deleted member 7659

You must get the XL tyres - they're extra load for a reason, the LCR isn't exactly a lightweight!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The Leon may be no Elise, but it's nowhere near an XL heavyweight car! At 1300(ish) KG it's lighter than many cars you see on the roads that run normal tyres... 350Z, BMW 3 series, Audi A4's, Focus ST, the list is endless and they are all heavier.

km

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as i understand it the XL is actually to diferentiate between the standard and extra load rating index for the same tyre. An XL tyre has a load rating of 92 I think so would assume they also have stiffer sidewalls. This is a max load of 630kgs per corner where as standard tyres are around 450 or something like that (don't know the load index). Basically they handle better as I understand but beware as an incorrect load rated tyre on your car could have insurance implications. If you google search for tyre load or something like that no doubt there will be an explanation somewhere.... hope this helps

km

Standard fit original LCR Pirelli's have are XL with a 92 rating or max load 630kgs. Read it while cleaning tar off my alloys at weekend ... sad I know

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
You've got low profile tyres, a reasonably heavy and powerful as hell hatch, wheels that are massive and made of cheese and a manufacturer who recommends extra load tyres.

No brainer IMO.

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
load rating on 225 40 R18 tyres with extra load is 92Y, would be 88Y without.

The index would be different for different size tyres.

Deleted member 7659

It's Type Approved with XL tyres, so fitting anything else is altering the vehicle which as suggested could lead to insurance implications. Seat wouldn't have gone that route unless they thought, through testing, that they couldn't be certain of standard load rating being up to the job over the life of the tyre.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
The Leon may be no Elise, but it's nowhere near an XL heavyweight car! At 1300(ish) KG it's lighter than many cars you see on the roads that run normal tyres... 350Z, BMW 3 series, Audi A4's, Focus ST, the list is endless and they are all heavier.

The Focus ST does have XL tyres btw. Either Continental Sport Contact 2 XL or Goodyear Excellance XL depending how when the car came out the factory or what day of the week it was. :p

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
You will need extra load (XL) tyres on the LCR. You should have a Y speed rating (which is higher than a Z), and a load index of at least 92.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The Focus ST does have XL tyres btw. Either Continental Sport Contact 2 XL or Goodyear Excellance XL depending how when the car came out the factory or what day of the week it was. :p

My apologies then, I seemed to remember it being different :)

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Well I've got an Ibiza and the only Eagle F1 tyres that most people kept in stock in my size were the XL ones....and the normal ones only seemed to be listed by online websites. so I just got them. don't think it really makes a difference tbh!!

Johnny Hotrod

Nov 30, 2006
North Yorks
Was just looking for some info on tyres & noticed this thread. It mentions the lcr but not the normal Lean Cupra - does anyone know if you need to use the XL tyres on the Leon Cupra too? if so the Good Year tyres that i was about to buy in 225/45/17 are not xl ones :confused:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members