XL Rear light problem - any thoughts?

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi all.

Just noticed a strange fault with my XL. The reversing light in the tailgate operates on the nearside of the tailgate and is red!. The rear fog light is on the off side of the tailgate and is white.

Initially I thought this was the bulbs put in the wrong way round, but both the bulbs are clear, buth there is a red shroud over the nearside one. ( the one that comes on when you reverse).

My user manual (page 253) states that the fog light is on the left, and the reversing light is on the right. This ties up with the lenses fitted, but the bulbs work in the wrong order.

The question is where are lights fitted on other RHD XL Altea's. I would have thought that for RHD vehicles the rear fog would be on the offside. So do I have LHD lights fitted, or LHD wiring ?

XLRAY

Apr 13, 2007
Just gone and had a look at mine; The nearside light is the white reversing light, and comes on what reverse is engaged, the offside light has the red filter over it and come on when the fogs are switched on. Might not match the manual, but at least they match what goes on inside the car!

How easy is would it be to swap the red filter?

Last edited:

toledo399

At a guess your car has been fitted with LHD tailgate light units instead of RHD on the production line. A visit to the stealer will confirm this.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
The Red filter seems to be moulded into the unit so I don't think moving it over will be possible. Only spotted this as I let my wife drive whilst I had a beer on my birthday, got out of the car whilst she reversed and spotted it. Never mind I have photos of the lights to email to the dealer, so hopefully that will save a trip. I reckon it should only take 5 mins a side to swap over.

Compared to others problems I am doing well so far, as this is the first real problem, the other being the battery earth lead that was loose.

Just completed 1300 miles up to Scotland and back and so far I am finding the car very impressive. Especially enjoyed the Galloway roads and for a largish car, which was quite heavily loaded I can confirm the "agile chassis" that SEAT claim certainly works. Long distance cruising is also a snip.

XLRAY

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
So you have a red reverse light and a white fog light :confused:

Seems odd, it must be wired up wrong, i dont think you do have a LHD tailgate as then you would have red on the N/S and white on the off side

The fog light MUST show the outside of the car, so it has to be on the drivers side.

Very odd that is :lol:

Takie it back to the dealers :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.